Zwift Play - Brakes engage mid session

Absolutely same behavior in my last races, yesterday, going outta saddle to push for a break, wooosh, whole peloton ist suddenly 3s in front of me, same today again in Zwiftinsiders Tiny Race Series 4th race, wanted to push for final sprint, woooosh, again!

Thats bad, full brake by going all out.

Zwiftplay is already on 1.2.1. and before there was totally normal behavior, have this issue just since the update.
A guy racing today with me mentioned that calibration, did that today and hoping it might be better in the next races.

Kind regards
Alex

Twice now I’ve had the brakes lock on for no obvious reason well into an event. No amount of fiddling with the brake / steering buttons will release them, I had to go to pairing and disconnect. This happened today with 1.2.1 firmware and once before the update (I’m not sure what version I had prior to 1.2.1.)

I guess we’re grasping for theories here but one thing that I wonder about: could sweat be a factor? Happy to help troubleshoot if possible!

So last evening I was prompted to update the firmware on the Play controllers, which I did.
Once done, I then went for a ride with one of the Robopacers. During the ride I used one of the direction keys on the left controller to bring up the context menu. The moment I touched the direction key the left brake engaged bringing me to a rapid halt. No amount of fiddling with the controls would release the brake. The only thing I could so was to turn off the left controller and then continue my ride.
I have no issues whatsoever with the right hand controller - this seems to be behaving itself, but the left one is a non-starter.

hallo,

With prior version 1.2.0 the controllers were working good. But after I had update to version 1.2.1, zwift app stay on Connecting forever… and both controllers don’t works.

Windows 10 PC + Bluetooth

Hi, I’ve had the issue about 3 times now. The last one was on Sunday 22 October during a Flamme Rouge tour race. Is the issue cropping up again.
Please help as I had a similar issue before a TTT the previous week.

1 Like

Had it today as well. During the TOW ride of 20.00 CET. I was in the lead group……

It was the right controller turned it of. Then later turned it on, after ~5 minutes again ghost-brakes.

Turned it of again and turned it on again, I think it worked fine till the end then.

I’m almost thinking that sweat is going into the brakes. My fan is positioned to the right brake. And I believe spraying the brake with my water bottle solves the problem?

Another user reported on the forum that he opened the Zwift play and the circuit board of the brake-steering part wasn’t that well protected?

If this is the case, please Zwift, give me a switch to turn of the brake. I use the Zwift play mainly to navigate through the menus on atv.

2 Likes

This started to impact me this week, October 22, to be exact. I followed all of the suggestions listed, updates are current for Zwift and Zwift Play Firmware. I am using Apple TV 4, everything was fine until the 22nd.

1 Like

Hi @shooj I’m receiving multiple Reports from Team Italy riders experiencing automatic brakes engage and confirming thant the only two option is pressing the leverage or disconnecting play to get back to riding otherwise the avatar brakes.

These reports have been arriving in the last 24/30h

Please let me know if I need to ask them to write to support or if logs or reports are needed.

Niccolò Martinoli
Team Italy

2 Likes

My last one was on the left control, the previous on the right. The previous one I was barely warmed up so it couldn’t have been sweat that caused mine.

1 Like

Hi folks,
still happening. Last two free rides, I had to disconnect them since the beginning, couldn’t even start. Right brake was stuck.
I hope a definitive bug fix will be released soon.
Happy rides
G

1 Like

Just started for me as well. My left controller is constantly braking. Started mid-ride yesterday, wasn’t doing anything crazy. I use a PC and nothing has changed with my setup.They’re connected through the PC, not the app. Completely restarted everything and it’s still acting like the button is being held today. I’ve tried articulating all the buttons to see if something got stuck. Also took it off the bars and shook it a bit.

Update: it’s only constantly braking when I have both play controllers turned on and connected. I accidentally bumped the left one in a ride and it turned on/connected without starting any braking. All the arrow buttons worked fine. I then tested turning on the right controller and as soon as it connected the brakes came on. I turned the right controller off and the brakes came off. Afterwards I tested with the right by itself and it was fine. Tested using the companion to pair them and seeing the same issue.

Had same issues and a guy while a group ride told me to calibrate both controllers (just google it)

That was 2 weeks ago and since then I had no more issues than before

Hoepfully it will help you too a lil bit :sweat_smile:

I did some additional investigation and mine appears to have been a hardware issue. I attempted to calibrate the controllers and the left one was fine. The right one however wouldn’t vibrate when I pushed it to the left. I went on the assumption that meant the button didn’t detect contact or was already contacting and took back cover off to check for corrosion or anything else that looked off. Nothing looked out of sorts but I gave the contacts a spray and wipe with contact cleaner. Put it back together and everything is working fine. Obviously wouldn’t recommend doing this if you don’t know what you’re doing and/or are okay with potentially breaking them and having to buy a new one.

Perhaps some sweat/moisture made it’s way into there? There’s an open slot in the bottom of the controller that I would assume is to allow for ventilation but that’s area of the bars can get pretty nasty. I did notice a little corrosion on the 4 screws so I’ll probably detach and dry the controllers as part of my post-ride wipe down routine.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I’ve a problem with my Zwift Play.

I use it via Companion and Apple TV.

The 1st problem was during a Tour of Watopia stage (it was my 2nd use of this Zwift Play) after some km without problem, my avatar stays always in the middle of the road. I couldn’t have draft with other riders. I finish the stage like that (pic 1)

I didn’t know where was the problem.

The day after I rode another TOW stage. No problem during 20km …. and my avatar go again in the middle of the road ….

Zwift Play buttons seems working well. I stop the race.

After I go on Repack Rush. As you can see on the pic I pedal, but the avatar don’t move, and the light brake is on on the bike. He moves a little when I pedal more than 250 w !! (pic 2, 3, 4)

As you can see my Zwift Play are well connected, batteries ok. (Pic 5)

I disconnect Zwift Play, and It working.

I reconnect again Zwift Play, and the problem is back.

The brake buttons of my Zwift Play are not blocked.

And my Zwift Play have the last version.

I use the last Zwift Apple TV Version

Can you help me please !

Thanks

3 Likes

Whyoh why all these issues. I haven’t cycled in almost 2 weeks (flu) and I don’t even make it out the pens before the ghost brakes come back to haunt. When will this be sorted please.

I have same issue described in this thread.
I have done all Play and Zwift updates, still the same issue with breaks constantly on.
Very annoying!
Hope it is fixed soon!

2 Likes

me too, same problem, brakes always on. I have latest firmware and I made calibration.

Hi

Got the ghost breaking issue. Right Play controller has breaks on. Have tried to calibrate. Left controller buzzed like expected but there were no buzz when I tried to calibrate my right controller.

Running newest firmware.

Alas, although I thought it was fixed it’s now happened twice in two separate rides both on right controller… This was early on so I dont believe sweat was a factor.

I will leave them disconnected until a fix is offered

1 Like

It appened again today in a middle of a sprint on a groups ride. I was second on the sprint and then it braked and everybody passed me :frowning_face: