Tour of Zwift USER FEEDBACK

There’s 13000 people scheduled to ride stage 1 of TdZ at the 5pm UK time slot. Be interesting to see if the whole thing collapses!

1 Like

Yes. Yes it has.

4 Likes

Apparently we pay for this atrocious service. Who could have predicted on the first working day after new year that everyone would want to ride their bike at 1700…

2 Likes

This was a totally unpardonable foul up of an event. The UI was refreshing once every 5 seconds. I got 3 miles credited to me in 38 minutes. If you’re not ready for prime time then don’t promote and host an event as though you actually know what you’re doing. Seems like a simple load test on your software would tell you that you can’t handle 11,000 people simultaneously so why let that many into the event???

5 Likes

Well, why did those people all fail to keep the first ride working? It was absolutely pitiful.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Hi @Doug_Johnson1

I would take a guess that you are are using a laptop with integrated graphics card.

It sound like the GPU was not able to keep up with rendering 100+ riders.

Soooo frustrating- it took 3 goes to join each time crashing. Then did get to the route and spent 5 mins waiting for riders. After 9km it crashed again. Same comments as others - I would expect better of Zwift

Has nothing to do with individual users hardware (Apple TV so no option to alter graphics options). It has to do with total lack of foresight from a company that charges us to provide a service, included in that service I would expect a modicum of common sense.

2 Likes

Did you have this issue on Apple TV?

This was just a disgrace… Don’t blame the users hardware. You should not promote an event like this if it doesn’t work…

1 Like

The servers aren’t the problem, folks. Your hardware can’t cope with the number of riders, and yes that includes Apple TV that everyone waxes lyrical about and claim is infallible. Also includes some of the older iPads and many rubbish laptops.

Where Zwift can (and should) be criticised is patently failing to learn from previous issues caused by highly popular events, especially considering they’ve spread/split out the start times to mitigate this exact problem in the past; specifically the Haute Route events. No idea why it didn’t happen this time. Ridiculous.

7 Likes

But doesn’t the client just have to deal with the nearest 100 riders no matter what the total number of participants is? If the lag isn’t on the server side, maybe it has something to do with how that selection of the nearest 100 is updated, and that part doesn’t scale well?

As I understand it that 100 cap only applies to the number of riders rendered. The client system still accounts for a much higher number of rider positions and drafting etc on top of that. Whether it’s the entire amount I’m unsure (surely uses some proximity model), but it’s certainly more than 100 otherwise you’d see a much more obvious cap to the performance penalty.

1 Like

It was fine for me aside from the usual clunkiness at the start. For the big eventsI don’t know why they don’t put a 1000 rider cap and just create as many instances of the event is needed at a specific time? I know it’s meant to be a fondo style event but in real life even the smaller fondos start in waves

Wrong!!! I was on Apple TV. Don’t assume. Ask.

Thanks,
Doug

1 Like

Absolutely unacceptable.

Thanks,
Doug

If Zwift keep track of rider performance they can group similar ability riders in 200rider groups and it will be competitive and fun.

It is not just racers that need rider classification this can be used across Zwift.

3 Likes

For me it also did not work at all, but this was my first experience like that, so yeah a problem can appear from time to time i think… Not too much of a problem. It´s not like this is the usual experience, at least for me. But i think a graphics option for other devices except Windows would help a lot, it would be a lot smoother for really big group rides for a lot people i think

Gerrie’s completely right - if you had “matchmaking” then for events with 5000 people entered, you could split them into equal groups of any number you want. People would all ride with people of a similar ability, so they’d all have a great experience.

4 Likes