The elevation chart that we want

An interactive version of that would be amazing. Beats what I used to race with in my pocket anyway.

1 Like

I often don’t use the companion app, and would prefer to have the ability to show both the route elevation and a better detailed version of the nearby “segment”-ish thing in the main app UX too. So maybe the answer is more options and flexibility for what’s displayed.

3 Likes

I have a 24 inch screen sat on top of my handlebars. I wouldn’t see it unless I put my head 3 inches from the screen.

Just giving my perspective.

3 Likes

I think the solution is glaringly obvious: colour-coded profile of the full route at the bottom of the screen by making the G key etc go through three modes (power/hr graph, elevation, off) instead of the current two. Plus preferably something else to show the road immediately ahead (the RGT version used to be just a line but the latest update added the gradient colour codes there as well).

I guess the traditionalist solution approximating the course profiles taped to the top tube would require an external small widescreen display in portrait mode mounted in the same location (or at least immediately nearby). Now what’s a ubiquitous device with such a display… (Personally not a huge fan of having to use the companion app myself either.)

7 Likes

Zwift knows what route you’re following (unless you’re making manually-selected turns here and there). Thus, there is no reason the system needs to show you only the current segment.

The rider icon should be stationary somewhere in the middle-ish of the profile, left-to-right, and the profile itself should scroll past. Because Zwift knows your route already, that scrolling action can be continuous and seamless, regardless of ‘segments.’ The only time there need (perhaps) be a sudden segment (i.e. profile) change would be if you manually choose a turn other than the pre-selected route.

2 Likes

for me, if the current map view in the companion app was split intwo halves, top half is the mini map as it is in game and the bottom half is the old gradient profile (from my post above) that would be ideal for me.

then they can do whatever they like in game!

I generally can’t use the companion app while riding , and there are a lot of Zwifters out there who simply don’t. There may be room for improvement there but the priority has to be to improve the main in game display first.

The companion app could be a good place to attempt to improve matters further for visually impaired riders though…

4 Likes

My theory is that the current elevation chart is the way it is exactly because only some part of Zwift actually knows the route you are following and the chart is drawn by a different department or something.

I find that the RGT way where the whole route/lap profile is at the bottom and stays put works just fine with your position moving and indicating at a glance how far you have come. The second much more magnified “segment” view is more about offering another way to read the terrain (and use power accordingly) than orientation.

1 Like

That is easy programming if you can never turn off the default route.

Fair point. The existing one is clear and obvious :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

PPPPPP. I rode with 15 and/or 17” laptops for a few years. Those were perfectly fine on a table out of arms reach. However sounds like a toggle and/or zoom option between local and total route views could be useful but that goes into the conveyor a semi-customizable hud. :sweat_smile:

No one is saying that it doesn’t need to change but don’t change it to something that also doesn’t work well for people.

1 Like

Maybe just a color change.

i’d prefer that to be the shorter distance more zoomed in gradient graph, otherwise it is too skewed by upcoming big hills to be of any use. Then have the bigger profile somewhere with more space.

I think I covered this earlier but your condescending remark is noted.

2 Likes

This has the massive disadvantge that it’s much harder to see at a glance how far along the route you are, to to mention that it runs in differnt directions sometimes, and it’s overlaid onto a changing/moving backdrop - It’s just too broken to fix.

I Probably don’t need such a big XP bar - there’s a bit of space that could be stolen (and in fact that could be a vertical bar?)

More like this Chris.

It will be super hard when you are free riding

1 Like

I meant the one you showed would work well for the gradient graph that is currently top right of the mini map - this is the one i use more (or would do if it was more useable!)

the longer gradient i’m not as fussed about, i personally don’t think it would work very well there. I’d be more happy with it being toggled along with the power/heart rate graphs at the bottom of the screen

You want this one for more distance like 2km?

We could spend ages engineering a solution in this thread, but it’s really not a difficult thing to fix and there are a multitude of ways it could be achieved. It’s really shocking that something so fundamental has not been a key priority to resolve for the last X (at least 5) years.

2 Likes