Resume unfinished ride after saved it

Can I resume an unfinished ride after I save it?

No, there are designated spawn points for each route.

This would definitely be a useful feature. Sometimes there are routes that are too long to ride in one go. Also, sometimes I only have time for riding for just 30 minutes. Then being able to resume would be great.

1 Like

Technically speaking, there are not any routes in Zwift that are too long for one go. I think the longest is 107-ish miles. And doing it all in one go is part of the challenge, after all.

That being said, I don’t think there are any limitations (though I could be wrong) on just stopping pedaling, but not actually ending your ride, and then coming back to it in an hour, a day, or a week. You just have to leave it running on whatever device you’re using. (I hope someone will correct me if I’m wrong on this.)

Well, it is impossible to cycle a 107 mile route in thirty minutes, but it would be possible to cycle that route in multiple parts of 30 minutes. Leaving zwift running is a bad idea because that would drain the batteries of my sensors and that of my tablet.

Technically, it should be possible when selecting a route to have an option to resume it from last time or to start at the beginning. Just like any other computer game it should not be a problem to spawn anywhere on the route.

You might be able to unpair your sensors mid-ride, using the pairing screen, and then re-pair them when you start back up again. And you could keep your tablet plugged in, I suppose.

As for spawning points, I haven’t really played any video games in a long time, so I don’t know how that works. When I used to play, though, it seemed like there were fixed spawning points, not just anywhere.

And what do you mean you can’t ride 107 miles in 30 minutes?? You really need to work on your power output!! :joy::joy::joy: As I was mentioning earlier, though, being able to complete a route in one ride is a part of the challenge. It doesn’t seem right (to me) to award a route badge to someone who takes 10 rides to complete it. You may have to set aside a few hours (Or more) every so often to get some of the routes done.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem right (to me) to award a route badge to someone who takes 10 rides to complete it.

Not trying to rain on anyone’s parade, but I agree. It would be like claiming that I ran a marathon because I ran 2 miles today, and then 3 tomorrow, and then 1 next day, etc, until I had accumulated the requisite 26.2 miles. As for myself, there are a couple of routes (Uber Pretzel and PRL Full) I’ve all but conceded I won’t ever complete since, even though I could set aside the time, I just can’t see making myself sit inside on the bike that long :grimacing:

1 Like

I"m not sure where you live, but you might be surprised how long you can actually stay on a trainer on a cold, snowy day. :wink:

Agreed on the route badges. I would suggest to only give people a route badge if they completed a route in one go. And then also limit the maximum allowed time for a specific route, just like you have at races/rides in real life.

As for respawning, that is conceptually easy to implement. They already keep track of your position, speed, and direction for the game. This means they should store your latest position, speed, and direction for every route when you end it. Then offer an option when selecting a route to resume it. It would make zwift more enjoyable because you can use the longer routes to get more scenery even if you don’t have the time or are not in shape to ride it in one go.

Is this Nintendo from 1986? Who would ever do that?

I totally 100% agree with this. I do not care about any badges so if you do not do a workout in one session, do not give one. I do not care. Give it to all the people that do it in one session. I just want to finish my rides, that is all. I just want to start where I ended. A day, hour or week later. Don’t give me any badges for that. Finito and simple as that!

2 Likes

Not to mention for people who are using other equipment (like me w/ a rowing erg), doing 3-6 miles in a ride is actually a pretty significant distance for a single row and would be nice to resume the ride route the next day for my workout.

agrees :+1: