Pack Dynamics Testing (from 29th October onwards)

Here’s the section from the FAQ for reference:

Bring it on; the sooner the better!

It might have been better to test this alongside PD4?

1 Like

That’s a rubbish way of braking.

6 Likes

Maybe they will?

Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it (when other alternatives are failing). Also, the extra point of ground contact is nice for balancing in deep snow on top of uneven ice…

Is there a chance that PD changes are affecting game performance by disproportionately increasing CPU load?

You mean now?

I realise it’s not in active use just yet, but the last two game updates have demonstrably regressed in performance terms (excessive CPU load) and the timeline correlates with PD code being added into the game for use, based on comments in this thread. I was just wondering if there could be a link, if the game is now having to compute a lot more/different information.

Doesn’t matter, I’m just waffling.

1 Like

things should really be tested independently before tested together as some sort of booster pack of possibly working, possibly broken ideas.

1 Like

I mean I’m not really qualified to answer, but I doubt it would have been caused by PD at all.

It is only used when events are tagged with the functionality, which currently none are.

@James_Zwift There was an earlier comment from Dave that a key part of PD4 working correctly was an update that allowed for more frequent checks on rider position. From what it sounded like, this was more overall game functionality as opposed to something PD4 specific. Was that addition part of this most recent update, or is it only tied to specific PD4 events?

Two different pieces of functionality. We are testing some changes to how riders are shown in game - based on server placement rather than local, to avoid some confusing situations where you don’t finish where you think you have!

There’s also the PD4 tagged events.

Oh and improvements to rubberbanding.

3 Likes

I didn’t have chance to test the new pack dynamic.
Do we que a schedule to have it release officially?

No, we’re not going to plan a release until we’re happy with it working properly.

Probably a test event towards the end of next week.

1 Like

(Also won’t be before UCI Worlds)

That’s interesting. Surely should reduce CPU (client end) load though. It’s the opposite at present, if related.

1 Like

Server-side placement is definitely the way to go especially for racing, I just don’t think client-side is a credible way of deciding podiums when the differences are single-digit milliseconds. Mostly I’m just surprised (very much in a positive way) that even trying it out would be this easy.

3 Likes

Got it, that server side change sounds very promising.

For testing PD4, is it possible to switch from PD3 to PD4 on alternative laps when riding with a robocop on the Volcano circuit and have an on-screen banner telling you which mode you are in? Then you could better understand the difference through immediate comparison rather than relying on your memory to recall how PD3 performed versus PD4.

No, it’s an event configuration that is on for the duration of the event.