Pack Dynamics Test Events (December 2022)

OTOH once one sees a gap the natural reaction is to go hard to close the gap negating the supertuck.

1 Like

But this is where game skills come to play, you can chase or wait for super tuck :sunglasses:

Ooh, options :crazy_face:

That’s easier if you’re heavy though, at 61Kg I’m careful about when I supertuck and am vigilant while in supertuck in case I need to start pedalling quickly.

So with double draft, in all likelihood you can just freewheel or pedal lightly in the draft in the group regardless of what the guys at the front are doing… or you can sprint to the front to lead it out.

I like where this is going tbh, although again, it’s off topic so maybe better discussed on the FR thread.

Even with double draft, after climbing the Radio Tower, D, C and low B riders need to push above FTP to account for a 20 kgs lower weight. Increase the difference and it’s even worse. I seriously don’t think this is a solution.

And don’t quote me on this, but although Zwift’s explanation of how double draft works, somehow the code behind it I don’t think follows the same logic. If you would run the numbers, I’m pretty sure the Van power-up would end up more powerful than the Aero, and all data available online and anecdotal evidence would suggest that’s not the case.

Yes but at certain gradients/speeds/weights of the lead supertucking riders you will still have the situation where freewheeling riders behind go to the front and cause churn, accelerating the group etc. So ideally, PD4 should try to address that too, so definitely not off-topic - autobraking a rider on a descent will need very careful calibration to avoid spitting people out the back.

Oh I agree, but let’s keep this thread to the churning and making sure it is fixed across different gradients, and keep the supertuck separate. 1 thing at a time, no-one has seen what happens on the extremely rarely used radio tower or any other descent yet, in fact David hasn’t settled on what PD4 even is yet.

Once that is sorted, maybe supertuck can be looked at. That’s why I put it in a separate thread.

2 Likes

Move all the heavyweight/lightweight, and the super tuck posts to separate threads. I also think this is out of the scope of PD4. We have (many) other threads about these topics.

1 Like

I think if the super tuck issues are going to be addressed it would be beneficial to work it out as part of PD4. As stated before I also think if the churn issue of a descending 0w pack (ST or no ST) can be figured out then it’ll apply to what is being addressed with PD4 with relatively minor tweaks for powered riders.

1 Like

What are the two test races tomorrow? Same pack dynamic or with auto brake at the front?

It’s a blind test so we don’t know exactly what the changes are.

1 Like

How can the test event be advertised to get more participants? It’s hard to test pack dynamics if there is no pack.

“auto brake at the front” will only be available after game 1.33 release.

and also, before the term spreads out, technically it’s not “auto brake at the front” it’s more auto brake when coming from high to medium/low draft while overtaking :wink:

The test races tomorrow focus on the currently existing PD4 but with standard draft on a short crit course

1 Like

Posted on the Zwift Riders FB group… maybe a few more will show up

2 Likes

Might need to swing that new term for it by the marketing team before putting it in the next mailers :slight_smile:

Only 11 signed-up so far across 3 categories.

Unfortunately, the PD4 ride is up against a Rapha Festive 500 Group ride scheduled at the same time on Tempus Fugit :roll_eyes: Maybe PD4 should be enabled for this instead (couldn’t find a Grinch emoji :grin:).

2 Likes

There’s 64 signed up for the 11am one (my time).

Most people sign up in the last hour.