Pack Dynamics Test Events (December 2022)

Saris H3 always calibrated, high end Windows gaming rig (fps was reduced in the gif from being capped at 60 on the machine), running things through the companion app, 1Gbps fiber connection. I’ve also seen it on my Direto XR, and when I’m connected through an ANT+ dongle. The only time it may have not been present was in early 2016 when I using a crank based power meter instead of a smart trainer.

1 Like

It’s the lingering single-digit watts when you have stopped pedalling that is actually weird (sounds like a Neo…). And that might be enough to significantly delay the onset of this happening, as would be the bonus seconds given by sticky watts when using a typical PM (rather than the trainer) for power.

I was thinking more just the difference between instantaneous and 3 sec power display.

I am another person that gets the same things happening as Anders (and I have a Saris H3 as well)

1 Like

I’m not aware of any hidden logic that might cause this. There is also no distinction between events or free riding for physics (that I am sure).
I’ll try to investigate more on this when I can.

As for the other topic of the start of the draft cone, I looked it up, and the draft cone is currently starting roughly at the centre of the back wheel (don’t ask me why)

2 Likes

Pretty sure freewheeling/supertucking in a freeride or group ride means you easily fall off the back of the pack, whereas supertuck in a race you stick to the pack. That’s my experience anyway.

2 Likes

Yes. Supertucking is different in races @DavidP. Confirmed in other places.

Here’s a video of me stopping pedalling with a pace partner. Left sound in so you can hear when I freewheel.

Tacx Neobike, 3s display averaging.

The rest of the sounds are because I’m very unfit.

3 Likes

Can it be set back from there a certain distance for testing?

It must have been whichfull thinking regarding the braking from my side. It takes many seconds before watts are down to 5w (Kickr 18). Watt pedals have probably much faster reaction time.

@Mark_Talbot Regarding supertucking, it depend how fast your trainer detects that you are coasting and not coasting(11w). It can be a significant delay for some.

Without a code change, unfortunately not. However I don’t think moving half a wheel would make any significant difference. I tried changing it and see the effect and it’s not noticeable.
Changing the width of the draft cone might be something more worth trying in real events, given we can change it without updating the game.

7 Likes

Many thanks, @DavidP !

My concern with that goes back to the line discussion. Slowing riders get pushed sideways… and they’re not the ones that should be losing the draft.

2 Likes

What you are seeing is free world Ride vs an event
Remember in a free ride and you stop pedalling (0w) there is a element of auto brake to help users stop faster to swop kit/bikes etc
vs and event where this auto brake is removed as the need to swop bikes and kit is not required (workaround is pairing screen)

My video is above is also freeride… (although I agree I think there is a difference between free ride and event)

99% sure the autobrake applies regardless of whether or not you’re in free ride vs an event, at least that is what I gathered from @DavidP up thread:

“I’m not aware of any hidden logic that might cause this. There is also no distinction between events or free riding for physics (that I am sure).”

ETA: Good thread here from @Freighter on what sounds like the exact same thing I’m experiencing in any group setting (freeride, event, race, etc). Coasting on Zwift

1 Like

I would very much assume that moving the draft cone back by half a wheel would not make significant difference to the problem. Additionally I think moving it further back would be a bad idea. If you are riding right behind someone, you should get full draft effect.

I still think that braking is a good approach as long as the conditions can be tweaked in a way that you wont get autobraked if there is enough space to the side of the rider(s) in front of you, as I tried to outline in a previous post.

My coasting is similar to James’s video.

Anders is definitely more rapid than mine.

I run a Kickr Core, but run power off Assiomas.

Is it possible that the poor coasting model in Zwift is contributing to riders essentially almost panic riding? The coasting math is generally far harder in Zwift, than IRL. It certainly feels like you have to constantly pedal or at the very least, constantly concentrate.

If you are not very experienced with this behavior, you’d be very likely to continually over power your riding. Leading further to greater pack speeds, as that has to further promote churn.

Could adjusting this coasting math to be more generous allow all riders to better trust low power scenarios?

That would go a long way to improving race dynamics.

2 Likes

He was wrong though. We know there’s a difference - see supertuck, so could well be difference elsewhere too.

With Assioma you get sticky watts, so you have to compare the moment your (unsmoothed) power drops to zero on the HUD, not the moment you actually stop pedaling…