Large differences in power: light/heavy riders

Right, but this is the point when, by downshifting, you can get the same effect of pedaling with less force at the same cadence. So RGT is just getting you that same effect without having to downshift. That’s not nothing, to be sure. I’m not trying to say it’s not necessarily better. But my experience on Zwift, given that I’m downshifting pretty automatically when that happens, is that the whole thing feels pretty normal to me. Granted, what I’m comparing is years of biking outside with only a few months of Zwift, one week of Rouvy, and no RGT. Like I said at the start, maybe I need to try RGT to really get a sense of what the difference feels like. But it’s pretty seamless in my experience to enter the Zwift draft (the Zraft), shift, and get the same effect. And given that I’m also often using shifting IRL to moderate those same issues…it just doesn’t feel as alien to me as many other people say it feels to them.

This sort of phenomenological stuff is where I don’t at all want to tell anyone else they’re wrong–I was just discussing with someone else why pedaling in the big ring feels different from pedaling in the little ring even with the same gear ratio. It’s hard stuff to describe :slight_smile: But thanks for the input, it does help me try to see what others are saying.

Yes. But in RGT, the trainer makes that change. In Zwift, you do. The difference is subtle but it is different! (And that change in resistance also helps you to maintain your position as the draft changes.)

Think about what you feel in the pedals IRL when you get a gust of tail wind.

1 Like

As a 61Kg rider I’d agree with that. Since there is no CDA penalty for bigger riders it requires riding at even higher W/Kg than in Zwift to not get dropped on the flats (and the rather dumb fact that they turn drafting off in the first 100m makes it even harder at the start, especially for people who arrive late and start further back). OTOH with Magic roads there is a greater possibility of finding races with longer climbs than on Zwift where most of the routes favour sprinters/roulers.

I thought there was a penalty. Higher weight and taller height makes you slower, no?

2 Likes

Without CDA the proportion of power to weight doesn’t quite even out. Taller riders generally have a higher power output than shorter riders even at similar weights… short riders don’t need to produce as much power at similar speeds as they don’t have to push so much air out of the way… the faster you go the more that makes a difference. Admittedly as a short rider I’ve been ridden off a larger riders wheel IRL even though I was sucked onto that back wheel as tight as I could… so in that sense RGT is accurate I guess. As mentioned above there are few races where my power to weight ratio is able to shine, punchy 5 min climbs are just too short.

I don’t think RGT is making this changes to the trainer you are describing. When did it start to do this?

1 Like

What is the reference for this. I have seen many test comparing rider size on a flat road and speed change with change in size.

I was saying RGT does not have a CDA penalty for larger riders. In RL a 2m tall person with a 1m width would obviously have a larger CDA (although if the width was plumply spheroidal then it might not be quite as large as if it was rectangular).

1 Like

I must admit I’ve never noticed any resistance changes when in the draft in RGT. I think @gloscherrybomb mentionted Veloton did this, although I have not yet tried them out.

1 Like

Sorry @Donald_Munro :slight_smile:

I am not used to RGT talk on this forum.

2 Likes

It’s true but as the leading competitor it will likely come up more and more… I still hear many people jumping over there for the better and more realistic racing. Part of why PD4 is so important to dev, we need to retain the people we have.

1 Like

It’s possible this feature has been eliminated. I haven’t been on RGT much recently. I’ll see if I can find out if it’s still there.