Heavy guys have more fun?

I completed my first race after signing up. Finished 13 of 32 in D category. After this I was DQed due to a higher W/kg than allowed. The following day I signed up for a group ride in C - but were no way near able to keep up with anyone. The same thing happened in my C race today. I then noticed, that many riders in the top weigh around 100kg which, quite frankly would never happen up front on the road. I am a small 63kg guy. Is there a bias towards heavier cyclists - or is there anyway I can compete in D which is clearly my level? Should I just accept being DQed when racing in the middle of the pack in D or accept coming in last in C. I suspect I will never be able to compete for top spots regardless of the category due to my weight and thus high W/kg.

As a beginner, I am still trying to figure out how things work. I might have missed something here. But I hope the seasoned bunch can help sort it out and explain it :grinning::facepunch:

Yep. This is one of the big problems with Zwift’s w/kg system, and why real-life cycling doesn’t use a system like that.

Lots of discussion on this in the Racing forum, if you’re interested.

You averaged 3.2 W/kg in your Crit City Race according to ZwiftPower - you are a most definitely a C.

In the current W/kg system, you simply have to lean how to race smarter, and pick courses that suit you.

2 Likes

Zwift has no bias to any weight. But the racing categories is basically weight classes on flat routes. That is why racing in zwift need a ranking system.

Play to your strength and pick hilly races.

Thanks guys! I checked the result list in my race. The top riders in C where avg 12 kg heavier than the bottom riders. That is crazy. I’ve seen professional female triathletes under around 160 cm weighing more than 70kg. They are most likely 20 pct lighter IRL. I don’t understand why w/kg is the measure. I am guessing a lot of people change their weight to be able to compete. Being just above 60 kg’s, I’ll never be able to compete in any category. I finish in the middle of D races and get DQed. In C trainings, I can’t keep up with the yellow jersey race managers. Basically I’m unable to keep up because I am not heavy enough. In a sport obsessed with weight, this makes absolutely no sense to me. I guess Zwift races are not really for me. Surely, a mid finisher shouldn’t be DQ’ed for being to good for the category. How does that make sense?

I will try a C cat. mountain race soon and see if I can hang on. Thanks :grinning::facepunch:

And a ranking system seems like a brilliant solution. That would mean that people at the top of the category would be promoted, not the small guys like me in the middle :grinning:

Thanks Steve. I’ll have a look at other discussions on the matter. I’m no religious about this or anything. I’d just like to be able to join a race and survive :sweat_smile::face_vomiting::grinning:

I’d like to see more races with summit finishes. That would help even things out.

The majority of races are on flatter routes which tend to favour the power house riders. Also watch out for the hilly races which still have a flat front end, as you will blow your legs trying to keep up at the start.

I am in the same situation as you. At 69kg my FTP is a not too shabby 3.7w/kg firmly in CAT B. However i can’t hold on to a heavier rider pushing out B numbers on the flat where absolute power matters.

63kg @ 3.5w/kg = 220watts
69kg @ 3.5w/kg = 241watts
80kg @ 3.5w/kg = 280watts
90kg @ 3.5w/kg = 315watts

It puts me off racing to be honest.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about not being able to keep up with the front of C. The first group in C is full of A and B riders

Check out zwift power to see the results with the cheaters filtered out

1 Like

This is really interesting. I am skipping races. I had a good sprint workout in C, with regrouping after sprints. That’s more my thing. Will probably never be able to keep up in C - and my W/kg is actually at 3,3 today B…

Even in the ZP filtered results, the heavier riders are likely to win because a w/kg system is going to favour those with higher weight because they can produce more watts and keep within category. Unless the race includes substantial climbing, which most races do not.