Does Zwift have any kind of Quality Assurance?

For something like this, the combinations of platform, OS version, sensor interface, sensor model and what else reach such numbers pretty quickly that the task is impossible to do properly without a lot of test automation, but the problem is that you can’t really automate the parts that depend on third-party hardware doing something meaningful (of course you can use ANT+ and BLE simulators but those will likely only highlight bugs that would also show up with any given trainer, for instance).

Yes, some kind of a community beta program would make a lot of sense.

8 Likes

6 Likes

Has any thought been given to an “open beta” where you can volunteer to ride in the “next release” ahead of proper launch, happy to take the hit of finding new bugs in order to improve quality for others and get early feature access? I’d happily take part - not in critical workouts but as additional “add on” rides to play around.

With all due respect to those who are paying for a service and can’t use various aspects of that paid service because of bugs in an update, it’s obviously not true that you can not do a workout without Zwift. It’s not like workouts originated with the advent of Zwift. Again, yes it sucks to pay X for something but only be able to use X-n of that thing, but I can do a workout on a trainer without Zwift.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve asked the same question.
For those affected, is it just like riding with trainer difficulty set at zero?
If so, go ride and shift gears to increase resistance.

It sucks and shouldn’t happen, but it did and many people use it that way anyway.

Also… the public volunteer beta testing seems like a no brainer.

1 Like

It’s been asked about many times here, and the answer is basically “it’s not that simple”.

A potential Platform for (public) testing should be separated from the live system (and the developer’s system). Thus, Zwift would have to provide a complete setup for the server’s side. Sure this is somehow expensive but this is not more or less complex as running the live system. They will know that, we know that, there may be reasons why they don’t have a beta testing platform.

They would also have to allow for more than one version on the User platform. There will be very few Users with two completely discrete systems at home, possibly with both the main platform AND a suitable Zwift Companion platform.

Yes, right, but that’s also boring stuff and not “impossible due to complexity”, just a Zwift Beta App/EXE and and a Zwift Beta Companion App, that connect to the Zwift Beta Servers. The question for Zwift is, if all the money for this beta system will have a benefit (for Zwift) or not.

We already mix different versions right now. Apple TV, iOS and Android don’t force updates so users often run the previous version alongside others with a new version.

Yeah, all possible but would likely mean quite a rewrite of the Client app. Mind you, that might also help with those folk who can’t run two discrete user accounts on the same system without them impacting on each other (like workouts appearing in both, or other settings being shared). You’re right that there is a cost/benefit debate to be had and neither you nor I can do that :smiley:

1 Like

All of this would be solved if the programmers would just decide to be perfect every time.

6 Likes

I have been told that most of the issues are because zwift needs to start from scratch and build a new zwift 2.0 on a new program completely from scratch. I was also told this is the reason for no optimization for Apple products, they can’t really do it. Maybe that’s just bs and other developers talking crap I don’t have the education in programming to know.
I can tell you zwift is in serious trouble as new apps coming out this summer will put them out of business. One in particular comes to mind. The only hope for zwift is to buy this new platform and swap it out for there’s. Because unless zwift has version 2.0 ready to go and it fixes all the issues they are way behind.

Life could be so simple. LOL :smiley:

So all these new apps will be “bug free” will they? NO software is bug free!
Do all these apps currently have 20k concurrent beta testers with a whole host of different hardware, software and configurations, running 24/7. Err no.
Sufferfest didn’t support android for about a decade! That’s not optimising, there was no app!

Zwift has a fundamental user base - which at the core is what offsets for what are mostly annoying, cosmetic, user interface bugs. Yes there’s some more critical ones in there. But the platform isn’t fundamentally broken just because the small % with their own issues are so vocal on a forum.

Of course, there will be bugs, the difference is these other app developers actually listen to the user base from Zwift to develop their platforms. While Swift ignores its user base and what it wants and gives us a new worlds, more kit and gear, new bikes, instead of fixing the issues many of us have with the platform others are listening.

Again, if you had seen and used some of these other apps in person as I have you would understand that zwifts user base isn’t going to save them from an app that does everything they get wrong better, and does everything they get right better as well. Especially if it looks and feels exactly like zwift.

1 Like

Every user wants their own piece of the pie tho. Half of which contradict the other half.

Just look at how many complaints there are for level 60+, xp not adding up and drops not counting - an awful lot of people appear to want the gamification and more of it. A new world drops and the first comments are that its not big enough and why is there no connecting bridges and tunnels to other worlds.

So which users should zwift be listening too?

I’m not saying the platform is perfect, far from it. Plenty of tweaks I’d love to see to make “my” experience more fluid. But even that usability over the last 2-3 years has come on in leaps and bounds.
I don’t recall many users asking for Pace Partners - now probably the single most used entity. Users think they know what they want, but don’t actually know.

What are these other platforms set to take over the market? All I hear from RGT and Rouvy is they don’t have the numbers (and I pre-dominantly race; so its kinda important (to me)).

Zwift has plenty of offer, for a wide ranging audience both in feature and content. Yes bugs are annoying - though I’ve clearly been fortunate that I’ve barely noticed anything in the last few years.

2 Likes

Zwift users don’t want new worlds, kit and bikes? Seems to me that’s what a huge portion of the user base wants.

What percentage of the user base do you think is on this forum, complaining about major problems they have?

4 Likes

Who told you that and what’s their source? I mean, I’ve speculated that the engine is a big part of the problem, but that’s exactly what it is. Speculation.

Which app is that? I don’t exactly live under a rock, but I haven’t heard of anything I think will be a major competitor to Zwift. I saw something that is about riding on Mars (Sol Cycling IIRC), and another that’s more like GTA style missions. Then there’s CVRCade/CadeSport which has been around for ages without threatening. All the other ones I know of are already out and not really making headway as far as I can see.

I doubt this new platform has all the features and content Zwift has out of the gate.

1 Like