Welcome back to another edition of our Competition & AI Tech roadmap update. This will cover the progress we have made in September & October.
The goal is to provide insight as to what we are working on surrounding competition and what’s on deck in the coming months.
The post will cover these sections:
- What can you expect in the next release?
- What is Zwift working on now?
- What is the status of feedback the community provided?
As always, we welcome your feedback on this post! To make sure we capture it all in this moment in time, we will be auto-closing the post 7 days from the original post date.
Let’s get into it!
What can you expect from the next release?
Zwift version 1.31 will see the beginning of recording and retention of your PRs for segments set during all activities, not just free rides (excluding group workouts and meetups). There are also some bug fixes. Read on for more.
Improving fairness in racing through:
- Scoring: implementing scoring and categorization based on race results. We have made some great progress on the initial foundation of this change, which has allowed us to begin computing basic scores based on past races.
- Race Rules UI: We have implemented the necessary user interface for both Category Enforcement and Hardware Requirements. You should now be able to easily identify when a race is using Category Enforcement, Hardware Requirement, or both, as well as understand what the restrictions you’re seeing mean.
- Hardware Requirements: All event organizers can now use Hardware Requirements in their events. This means that event organizers can now specify if they want their race to require: 1) power meters, 2) power meters + heart rate, 3) zPower, 4) zPower + heart rate, or 5) no required hardware.
- Category Enforcement updates: We have steadily been making changes to the Category Enforcement limits in effort to make it feel as equitable as possible for racers. This is largely based on community feedback as well as internal discussion. You can find the updated limits on our support site.
- Free ride segment PR data has been recorded and stored since 16 Aug 2022. Segment PR data for all other activities - excluding group workouts and meetups - will be recorded and stored from game 1.31 release onward.
- These will be played back to you only during free rides. This still includes RoboPacer (formerly PacePartner) rides as well as your free ride segment PRs.
- The Replays for all non-free ride activities are available now!*
- Thank you to everyone that helped make HoloReplay a smooth and successful launch as a first implementation. We’re happy with the feature and we hope you are too! More information on HoloReplay can be found here.
Competitive Experiences: Pack Dynamics V4
- Pack Dynamics V4 has begun its testing phase the last couple of weeks, with the goal of getting user feedback and providing a more rewarding race and ride experience throughout Zwift. You can read more about Pack Dynamics V4 over in this thread as well as find the upcoming events in this thread.
What is the status of feedback the community provided?
- Backlog : It’s on our radar and some work has been done
- Discovery : Early in the development process
- In Progress : It’s actively being worked on
- Done : Released
Improving Fairness in Competition
- Hardware Requirement: implement ruleset for events requiring the use of specific hardware to participate - Done
- Hardware Requirement: implement UI informing when hardware is required and what types are required - Done
- Hardware Requirement: allow community race organizers to have required hardware in events - Done
- Category Enforcement: implement UI informing why certain categories are visible - Done
- Category Enforcement: implement UI showing when an event is using CE - Done
- Category Enforcement: implement UI on the Zwifter profile to show what the current power thresholds are - In Progress
- Scoring & Categorization: allow race results to have a score - In Progress
- Scoring & Categorization: allow scored results to influence overall ranking progression - In Discovery
- HoloReplay: implement playback feature based off personal data - Done
- HoloReplay: implement recording, retention, and playback of PR data from non free ride activities - In Progress (will release with game 1.31)
- HoloReplay: implement recording, retention, and playback for entire routes - In Progress
- HoloReplay: allow Zwifters to ride against one another’s Replay - In Discovery
- HoloReplay: UI improvements - In Discovery
- HoloReplay: Zwift Companion UI component - In Discovery
- RoboPacers: Implement a handcycle Pacer - In Discovery
- Pack Dynamics V4 - In Progress
A note for bugs: this update is from a limited perspective, and will not always be representative of everything affecting events, segment results, etc. These bodies of work focus most directly on competitive events, Pace Partners, and the future of competition at Zwift.
- UI: Leaderboards in certain worlds can be too numerous on the bottom bar - Done (1.31 release)
- ZwiftPower: using “days to show” in filters for series breaks - Backlog
- ZwiftPower: heart rate can show in profile page results but not specific race - Backlog