Category enforced

I’m about your weight and FTP and got pushed into B 2 weeks after starting to race. I had the same problem from back before CE when there were A sandbaggers in B as well so the starts were even harder than they are now. One thing I worked quite hard to improve was my VO2 power by doing lots of VO2 intervals ((3 and 5 minute intervals also some work on 8 min PP especially for before CE) which eventually helped, and I don’t get dropped at B starts anymore (although you need to warm up well before a race you expect to have a “hot” start, especially the shorter races).

Yes thanks Donald - it’s certainly improved with CE and I agree that one way to improve things for me would be to improve my short term power. But my physiology means that Its impossible for me to compete in cat B on flat (especially short) races. Eg in the mini races I would need a 10min power of 350W :person_shrugging:

I don’t recall ever doing a B race where I had to do 5.7w/kg for 10 minutes. If your short term power is good enough you should be able to stay in the draft and not have to put out as much as the people in front do (you do need to practice drafting in Zwift as unlike RGT there’s no visual feedback as to how much draft you’re getting). Also try entering races with double draft on as that makes drafting more like real life (for example VirtuSlo races are often double draft on).

Drafting (and positioning) in RGT definitely improves with practice as well, but the feedback loop is a lot more transparent for sure (without add-ons like Sauce).

Top 20 or so from the first mini race today

If by compete you mean finish in the top 20 then you need a 20min power of the top B’s which is supposed to be 4.2 but you often see 4.4. I was referring to hanging on in race starts, I normally get dropped from the front group eventually and am happy to finish mid to lower-mid (such is life in B using Zwift categories - although at the start of CE it was better than it is now but they watered it down after all the sandbaggers/cruisers complained about being promoted to A). Check out zwiftracing.app for a better categorization system - there should be more trial races coming soon (don’t worry its soon not zoon).

Slightly missing the point there Donald.; I could complete with the top 20 on a hilly race because it’s correctly based on W/kg but I’m nowhere near the power of even the top C’s on a flat race so should I be disallowed from entering flat D or C races?

In B with a 20min w/kg of 3.6 (unless the number of entrants are low) ? In any case what are you going to do if the flat start to your hilly race is hard ?

Just remember as a light racer you get draft help on the flat roads but as a heavy rider there is no help on the climbs.

…until you start going downhill :roll_eyes: :wink:

How many races are dominated by climbs though?

As many as you pick them. It’s riders decision what they want to race.

1 Like

That’s very slim pickings though, you have to admit.

2 Likes

At VirtuSlo we run a Monthly series ‘‘Tour Fight for GC’’ with a race every Tuesday…and the last race is always Hilly/Mountain top finish.
It’s on Time like Grand Tours…so ussualy sprinters/punchers are winning first 3 stages but the overall winner is always a climber.

Course Schedule
Stage 1: 06.December 2022 - Two Bridges Loop - 4 Laps (28.9km)
Stage 2: 13.December 2022 - Astoria Line 8 - 3 Laps (35.1km)
Stage 3: 20.December 2022 - Suki’s Playground - 2 Laps (36.8km)
Stage 4: 27.December 2022 - Bigger Loop - Epic KOM (24.6km)

4 Likes

As a light rider remember we have no chance on the downhills. :roll_eyes:

You have to hope it’s a seriously long climb to get ahead enough or the downhill rush of the big sprinters means it is game over and you are far off the back.

IRL at least you can descend like a demon and stay ahead.

1 Like

Phew, a comrade-in-arms. I was starting to get seriously embarrassed keep bangin’ on about this anomaly :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha, yes, the price we pay for being light.

Unfortunately recovering from bad injury means I cannot do damage on the hills either. :wink:

At least you have a good excuse. Good luck with your recovery.

As a heavy rider I have been dropped on a downhill as well. If you aren’t in the bunch going over the top you will get dropped.

Look at my races over the volcano I can maybe make up 2 seconds going down.

Light riders fly up the climbs.

2 Likes

Ah, but it shouldn’t necessarily be that way. Hopefully PD4 and corning braking will make this a more equitable affair for all riders.

Bet you’ve never been dropped on a descent by a lightweight rider :wink: :laughing: