Can we please have some longer routes?

I think we’re still waiting on my 60k Watopia route to be added :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice one. I would ride that :slight_smile:

Seriously though, and perhaps you cannot comment, but surely it’s not that hard for Zwift HQ to program in a new route using existing roads. Coming up with a name would be the main hurdle :joy:

I’d love to see a new route every other release, whether from the most popular rebel routes or just from Zwift HQ brains trust.

I can ask, but I suspect it’s more difficult than you would think.

2 Likes

Thanks mate. I am sure with more transparency to the community, we may collectively be more patient around any unique challenges Zwift face compared to other software developers :grin:

I note they seem to be in a monthly “sprint” cycle for updates and I have a basic understanding of prioritisation between “must fix” and “nice to haves”.

I would argue that at a certain point (northern winter for example) the “nice to haves” become “must fixes”

Keen to hear where new routes via existing roads sit in the pecking order. I can deliver three Makuri routes for next fondo season too if required …. No charge !

That looks alright, and no radio tower climb is fine by me.

2 Likes

The route generation needs a lot of QA time, which right now we don’t have spare.

We do have plans for more roads later on in the year but I can’t tell you what or where :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Appreciate the responses again James. Will wait impatiently for Mt Fuji/Makuri Highlands then :blush:

3 Likes

After us heavier riders get a flat, winter themed 161km “Road around Hokkaido” on Makuri :cold_face:
(Mt Fuji is a must have)

2 Likes

100% agree with OP.
Not enough long routes - i ride some big miles and really need a long course to give me that motivation.
Constant loops of the same short route - kill me

3 Likes

Would bringing back the ‘random’ option for a route work? No set route and all the turns are randomised?

I think the “Surprise Me”'random route feature had been frequently reported as broken before it went away…
Mostly reports that it always sent folks to do multiple laos of the Hilly Route in Watopia.

1 Like

Well this is all fake anyways.
Even real world segment records are broken by people on ebikes or in cars.
Strava segments are unimportant.

1 Like

Yes a UK based map where they connect Scotland, London and Yorkshire! Make some huge tarmac scenic roads between. Screw strava maps

There must be a way of having a generic bit of road that you can be on while the next world loads or something so you can go from one to the other then just do what happens when you join an event i.e. it ends one ride and starts another one,

2 Likes

I am no programmer so I don’t even know if this is possible.

But I was thinking of moving the maps next to each other so Strava won’t go crazy with straight lines.

So I made the red lines to connect the maps, these red lines must exist in both maps as little individual maps, so Zwift will load London and the 3 red line worlds then if you want to enter scotland Zwift will unload London but keep the red line world and start loading Scotland now you have scotland and the red line world.

Red line world can be a long tunnel.

8 Likes

Was just talking about this to one of my friends the other day. Why not a Europe map with some creative zone connections like the underground in London etc, you could tie in innsbruck to ventoux also.

Looking at the amount of discussion this thread has stimulated, there is definitely a significant community in Zwift that would relish longer routes. Rebel routes have been a great example but for me, this would be a great opportunity for Zwift to add the functionality for the community to create their routes and load them in for either club events or even free rides. Let the community create their own rides especially in the larger maps like makuri and watopia. It would allow the community to start feeding routes into the platform to share. Even having the functionality to pick the start location.

I know there is web apps external to Zwift that allows you to do this but given the vast majority of Zwifters are using appleTV / mobile devices (tablets), having this a feature of the core software that all subscribers can access would be brilliant. I’d value this more that the ability to create custom workouts but that’s just a personal preference.

Well, at least 13.

3 Likes

We need a “Stargate”!

2 Likes

I imagine that a major factor is the completely different sets of assets used in the development of each world, which would be impractical to load all at once. Not impossible, but also not trivial or low cost to the user with marginal equipment.