Amazon Fire Max 11

Bought this tablet to run Zwift on my new trainer. To my surprise, Google Play announced that Zwift is not compatible with my device. Zwift Companion loads. So do TrainerRoad, Tacx Training, Rouvy and Wahoo Systm.

Anyone had luck installing Zwift on Amazon flagship Fire Max 11? I’ve seen people run Zwift on older/weaker models so I figured this would be a no-brainer. … and I know about the drawbacks of Amazon Fire tablets. I am cheap…

Apple TV is less expensive than the tablet you bought…

Occasionally clearing the Play Store cache helps with that issue, but I haven’t heard of anyone using that tablet with Zwift so it might not be compatible.

I salute your cheapness but would pick a used Samsung or iPad over that, if a tablet is what you desire. A used office PC with a used GPU would be even cheaper, perform better, and look better for running Zwift. Let me know if that interests you and I will explain how.

I have had it installed on my HD10, I think a 2021/22 model; and it runs about as poorly as you’d expect… minimum graphics, and at about 15FPS.
I wanted to test it just to see if it could just for fun, and it did; but I half expected it to crash at any given moment; and fell down to the depths of only displaying bikes at one point because it couldn’t keep up with drawing entire avatars.

You just have to install the google play store on it (google how to do it, sometimes it’s super easy just by clicking a link, sometimes it’s a little more complicated and requires rooting).

The drawbacks will be performance; the fire tablets are designed for playing back videos and browsing web pages and showing books at extremely efficient levels; and have an extremely long batter life… it isn’t designed to do 3D graphics really at all, and even the “flagship” (which isn’t saying much), will prove that.
Generally speaking I would say it isn’t worth it.
Installing the google play store on it for other apps however I would argue is worth it, but that’s a different discussion.

I hate the monitors on Apple TVs. Actually, with my poor eyes, I can’t even see them at all :slight_smile:

they plug into your TV, they don’t have “monitors” :thinking: :man_shrugging:

I did try to install the latest version of Google Play for Android 12+. Amazon OS is built on version 11 so I had to go down to Google Play for Android 10+. Maybe that did something to the cache. Worth a try. Thanks.

Good stuff. Thanks for your input. But just to be clear, I have Google Play installed. Zwift app shows up as “Not compatible with your device” for some reason?

Looked on Zwift and they don’t really specify CPU/GPU minimum specs. Max has upgraded both over the previous Fire 10 and, importantly, added L2 GPU cache. Trying to find out if that’s anywhere close to enough.

LOL, I know. I was joking around. I don’t have access to a TV from my workout spot.

You can get a cheap portable monitor that fits on a tablet stand or table top. Lots of options for that. That plus Apple TV is still cheaper than a decent tablet.

Hmmm, second vote for Apple TV. Not really an option for me as I’d like a gizmo that I can use for other things than just work-outs. Space is major limitation and I will need to take the whole rig down on a regular basis too.

Second, I also want to test different work-out apps before I commit to one. Tacx Training App, for example, is not even available on Apple TV at all.

I’ve seen many people using tablets with bike trainers on YouTube. Are we saying that tablet is not really sufficient for the job in general?

If tablets are adequate for the job, what are the minimum specs I should be looking for?

I use an iPad, which works great. Not the most detailed graphics, but that’s not a big deal for me. And it doesn’t have the BT connection limit from which the ATV ‘suffers’.

1 Like

Tablets are adequate and I don’t recommend Apple TV, but it’s a reasonable option for a cheapskate who doesn’t want to do any work at all to get a used PC going. No judgement on that! Price compares well vs new tablets.

For a tablet I would go with a used iPad that’s a few years old but not many years old.