ZwiftGame Android FAQ (v.1.0.50775)

Hi Will. Thanks for the update!

I’ve done rides in NYC and London since the update, the most notable change being the shadows.
I’ve saved the logs for both, to be able to check the framerate stats with Zwiftalizer, but tomorrow’s L’Etape stage is going to be the pressure test :grin:

I will let you know how it goes.

1 Like

GREAT !!! yeah, you now have our highest settings for Android, which is basically high quality shadows.

thank you Henk!

Hi Will

I did the L’etape stage this morning, and the frame rate was fine except predictably (with 4000+ riders) at the start.
Zwift_20200711_M6 (L_etape stg2)_small
There were also a few other areas where the frame rate dropped quite low - these were the biggest at the towns at about 11-12km and the start/finish, and a lesser drop at around 17km (another town?). I couldn’t see what might have been the cause, the areas looked pretty plain (no trees casting shadows on a lot of riders, for example), so perhaps some optimization could be done in the future.

Compared to last week’s stage 1:
Zwift_20200704_M6 (L_etape stg1)_small

On my rides in NYC (9th Jul) and London (10th Jul), the frame rates were 30 (P5 of 23) and 41 (P5 of 28) respectively, which I’m perfectly happy with.
Just as a comparison, my older PC (AMD A8-3850, RX560), which I only use for races, gets a much worse average frame rate (19fps and 18fps in my last two Wednesday races). So the tablet is more convenient and performs better, just the occasional Bluetooth power dropout of doom that keeps me from using it for races.

Side note: I finally figured out today Zwift chooses the High profile for this PC, probably because the GPU is fast enough, but the CPU is not. I’ll tweak the profile to see if it can be improved.

1 Like

@Henk_de_Beer
We saw low frame rate problems with this specific event (July 11 @ 16:00 UTC) across all OS platforms. It’s almost certainly not an Android-specific issue.

Other instances of the L’Etape events today didn’t seem to have this impact, and we’re investigating why. We’ll keep you updated on this thread

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye on that thread.
I did the 7am SAST event (so, 5am UCT?), and the frame rate was generally not too bad.

@Henk_de_Beer
I also rode that same event as you @ 5am UTC and had no frame rate issues.

I wonder if this is a case of long-haul internet connection to South Africa for you vs. me being much closer to the servers?

Not impossible :rofl:
It was only really bad at the start with so many riders (which I expect and understand), and then passing through a few specific areas - same place each lap.
So in my case probably just a weakness in how my tablet’s GPU deals with something specific (ex. shadows of the crowds in town areas? Not sure, will have to ride through at much slower speed to have a good look :slight_smile: ). I’m actually quite happy with the avg frame rate, considering the number of riders - just letting Will know the result of the graphical update for the M6 tablet.

By the way, as many have already mentioned, the France world looks great!

1 Like

@shooj. it’s worth noting, I enabled high-quality graphics for Henk’s device (mediapad M6) and other newer devices, with this latest release.

So it makes total sense that Henk’s fps, in large events, etc would be less than when he had the normal settings.

We could consider giving Mobile users an option in the menu, for Mobile GFX settings.

@Henk_de_Beer thank you for details and the extra effort in getting us this data!!

And good call on the PC - makes sense.

Has anyone tried Zwifting on the HUAWEI MatePad Pro? More powerful than the M6, so I guess it will work well as long as you can get around the lack of Play Store.

I also have a problem pairing ANT+ devices on my mobile phone, I have:

Huawei Nova 3e
Android 9 (EMUI 9.1.0)
ANT+ USB stick with USB-OTG adapter
Zwift game v53343
ANT Radio Service, ANT USB Service, ANT+ Plugins Service
Location and bluetooth services enabled and granted to Zwift
Wahoo Tickr HRM (BLE/ANT+)
Wahoo Kickr SNAP (BLE/ANT+)
Garmin Cadence Sensor (ANT+)

Using the Wahoo training app I can pair up all 3 sensors no problem. I believe the Wahoo devices are connecting over Bluetooth and the Cadence sensor is ANT+ only so it definitely is pairing over ANT+. So the ANT+ connectivity is working on the phone.

When I try to pair device in the Zwift game, it doesn’t find any sensors using ANT+. e.g. if I turn off Bluetooth on the phone and only try to pair with ANT+, it doesn’t find any of them. When I enable Bluetooth, it will pair to the HRM and Kickr SNAP, but no luck with the cadence sensor.

I read in another forum entry that ANT+ on Android 9 doesn’t work. Is that true? Can someone from Zwift confirm that? I’ve looked everywhere and I couldn’t find information on any specific Android version requirement for using ANT+.

I checked my Android permission using ADB and didn’t find any permission relating to ANT or DSI. Someone mentioned maybe needing to set a permission that was not present in the UI (I couldn’t find that permission in ADB). Is there some setting/permission that the Zwift game needs to be able to detect ANT+ devices that somehow has not been granted?

Happy to do any tech debugging.

thanks,
David

If you use ANT Tester, does it show any problems?

For example, on my Xiaomi A3 (apparently some Snapdragon chipsets have ANT+ enabled):

On my Xiaomi Mi Pad 4, I couldn’t find the permission in the settings menus, but could enable it via ADB.
On my Huawei M6, no such luck - can’t find it in the menus, can’t enable with ADB. Almost as if Huawei blocks the permissions from being installed, not sure if that is possible.

Everything comes up good on Ant Tester except that ANT HAL Service is not found. Is that something I need to install? Didn’t find anything matching in Play store.

David

I think the ANT HAL Service is possibly specific to devices that have it built in.
From my M6:

The fact that ANT works with the Wahoo app on your phone makes me think it is a different issue than what I’m having - if I press on the red locks in the above screenshot, I’m taken to the Radio Service permissions window, but the required permission is not shown. I tried contacting DSI (no response), and Huawei (not very useful at all).

Since the latest update specifically mentions improvements for Mali GPUs, I had a look on Friday evening.
I’m not sure what changed, but it does look nice on the M6 :slight_smile:

I ran the log through Zwiftalizer, and interestingly it is running at almost EXACTLY 25fps, so I assume there is VSYNC or something happening:
Zwift_20200807_M6

2 Likes

Hello Henk!
For mobile, we tuned the terrain rendering to use a better distribution for coordinate values, which resulted in less clipping between road and terrain, most notable on MALI GPUs.

On Android, when battery level < 50 %, we cap to 25fps. It gets limited further as the battery level drops. No changes were made recently.

iOS is similar but uses slightly different values. On Desktop, I think the BATTPREFS tag can be used to control that.

Thanks for the feedback on the M6.
-Will

2 Likes

any chance of improving the graphics profile on newer, more powerful tablets such as the samsung s6? it’s making me crazy that apple tv (4k) looks dramatically better in a side by side comparison. this should not be the case given the superiority of the snapdragon 855 chipset

1 Like

Hello Ron,
The Tab S6 does have our highest graphics settings (for mobile) enabled. Due to time and resource constraints, we haven’t pursued enabling more graphics features for mobile, beyond the high quality shadows. But we could, esp now w/ chipsets like the 855. It is a beast!
(relatively)

I haven’t personally done a side-by-side comp of ATV 4k vs Tab S6.
Now I want to.
Thank you for your suggestion. I will pass it along.
-Will

1 Like

excellent, thank you so much for listening!

Can I anybody tell something about the usage of an SAMSUNG Tab S6 or Tab S7 ?

Which tablet/smartphone works with ZWIFT and has enough resolution to look great on an 50" FHD screen ?

My Galaxy A7 does not work with the best resoultion via HDMI cable and my Note Pro 12.2 does not work with ZWIFT.

Thanks