Zwift won't adjust power and terrain after latest Wahoo KICKR firmware v4.21

Hi Shuji,

I really appreciate that this issue has Zwift’s attention. I can speak for myself personally, I have done all of the steps either by myself or at the direction of Zwift and or Wahoo through support tickets, and the issue still persisted. I ensured all platforms whether it was iPhone (IOS latest version of OS and app), MacBook (Latest version of software), iPad (Latest version of OS and app), Apple TV (Latest version of OS and app) I ensured all apps were closed out before checking the next including the Wahoo IOS app. The issue still persisted on all platforms. What has convinced me that this is a communication issue between the KICKR and Zwift is that even on the 4.2.1 firmware I was able to use other competitors apps (Rouvy for example) and there was no issue. Only when I took the steps to downgrade the firmware (which Zwift support advised to me to do) to 4.1.2 was I able to get the KICKR and Zwift to perform as expected. I hope this helps and that Wahoo and Zwift can find a resolution and new firmware update that resolves the problem once and for all. Until then I am sticking with firmware 4.1.2

1 Like

@Tom_Antonucci
If downgrading the firmware worked for you - I would roll with that too if I were in your shoes.

For others reading along who are on Wahoo firmware 4.21 - can you verify that the power cycle step worked for you?

And if power cycling didn’t help - would you confirm that you do not have mutliple instances of Zwift running on several computers?

Many thanks folks - we’d like to build up enough data points to confirm that this is working (or not).

Ive done 3 separate sessions this week since updating and I unplug the kickr each time and still had the issue today.

I only run on one computer so no other platforms this week.

4 ride today seems better. Hopefully stays fix.

Confirming here on PC with the latest Zwift app, and confirmation of proper ERG functionality on Sufferfest, that the wahoo kickr and climb only work on Zwift with a firmware downgrade. The power cycle didn’t change anything, closing the wahoo app didn’t change anything, only the firmware reversal.

Ok it’s back again today. I’ll be doing the firmware rollback later tonight. Very disappointing.

Firmware rollback did the trick.

I use Zwift on my mac and I had issues with 4.2.1, too. My problem was that the connection broke down and I had no Cycling Power, the bike stopped moving. I disconnected the KickrV5 waited some seconds and connected again. Then I was able to go ahead with driving.

I only had one open session and it happened on two events.

After downgrade to 4.1.2 I had no issues, everything is fine now.

Hi,
I’ve tried rolling back on IOS on both iPhone & iPad separately but can’t move on to the next stage - tapping 10 times + on the image on both devices doesn’t work. The firmware currently installed (v4.2.1) is shown at the bottom of the screen.

I can’t upload screenshots as I’m a new user.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed.

With the latest firmware version I noticed the ERG/power controlling problems disappeared when I use a Garmin cadence sensor and not the Wahoo Kickr. I therefore believe it is a cadence sensing issue. What a total ck up for a £1000 machine and a £140pa subscription

1 Like

There’s a new Zwift iOS update. I road yesterday without rolling back and everything seemed to work fine.

It’s strange that after updating the KICKR firmware to v4.2.1, I only experienced problems with lagging/random/incorrect gradient changes in New York: particularly on the Sky Loop. And only while free riding, during events in New York everything worked fine. All rides in other worlds have worked fine, thankfully. Just rolled back to v4.1.2 tonight, looking forward to enjoying riding in NY again.

I was getting the issue in Watopia (repeatedly). Cannot recall if I was in France however. I’ve rolled back the firmware and will be testing it later - not sure if the new game version is on Apple TV yet…

It is, and I’ve been using it.

1 Like

Has anyone who found the firmware rollback to work tested upgrading to the current firmware with the latest Zwift release?

Does this firmware rollback also apply to older Kickrs. Eg, ‘17 ??? I have the same phenomena using ATV, companion etc…ERG seemed to work prior to summer 2020 and now rarely works even though there have been no firmware updates since 2018 for this KICKR…which kinda points to it not being a firmware issue…maybe IOS?

Thanks

I have been experiencing the same connection issues with Kickr V5 and Macbook Pro 2016. Problems started immedately after the 4.2.1 firmware update. I´m not using any other hardware for running Zwift - so no possible double connections etc. Power cycles does NOT solve the problem. Resetting the Bluetooth module, deleting Bluetooth settings files on my Mac, factory resetting the bletooth module etc. etc. does not work, at least not for more than a few days. The latest Zwift game (1.0.63185) didnt do the trick either (with FM 4.2.1). Sometimes the ERG mode works, most times it does not. I ended up buying the Wahoo Direct Connect dongle, and was really looking forward for trouble-free Zwifting - only to find out Zwift has not added support yet. I didnt imagine Zwift wouldnt support it right away…

Other apps do, and the ERG-mode on the Sufferfest is responsive up/down within one second (Zwift, over Bluetooth, before firmware issues was more like 4-5 seconds). May I suggest both a firmware fix and support for Direct Connect please?

Power cycling was ineffective. I am connecting my Kickr to PC using Bluetooth, and have the android companion app running along side. I tried re-pairing the trainer - no issue pairing it - restarting the app, rebooting the PC, and power cycling the trainer several times. In each case under firmware 4.2.1, watts and cadence drop to 0 after less than a minute of riding. Rolling back to 4.1.2 resolved the issue completely.

Thank you @Tom_Antonucci - I would have missed my last workout of the week for my training plan, were it not for your helpful instructions.

latest zwift release does not solve the problem. I tried last night on the latest release and latest firmware and was unable to ride after several reboots, restarting the app, powering down the trainer etc. Only downgrading the Kickr firmware worked for me.

How do you downgrade the Kickr firmware with just the app on the iPhone?

Tried the magical ten taps on the icon and I’m sure my phone is looking back at me laughing!!

Please help, zwifting addict and I need a fix!!