Zwift Velodrome

Would be amazing to see track cycling as an option in zwift. Maybe some competitions to go with it.
Events like keirin would be hard to do but team or individual pursuit seem like they would be possible.

Just an idea

3 Likes

I think you’d be surprised at the amount of 400m flat tracks that have held bike races throughout history.

It’s funny that you mention this based off how many Zwift logos and live events that I’ve seen them hold at 6-days or other track events.

Oh of course but you’ll be surprised at the number of options that exist on other platforms that Zwifters like to ignore.

1 Like

I think the biggest issue would be how crowded it would get and the ride ons would be almost unbearable!

I don’t see an issue with becoming over-crowded, just make it event and meet-up only. The turnaround points on Tempus Fugit may be converted to a short circular track if that makes things easier to implement. The turnaround points on top of the mountains may work as well, but then riders should be prevented to just spawn on top of the mountain and free wheel down for XP. This is more to suggest the use of a road that is already in place.

Ofcourse later you would ideally implement spawn/finish points on every half or even 1/4 of the course, so that you could host proper chase events. But yeah, I don’t expect any of this will happen ever TBH.

1 Like

Recently I tried the velodrome on another platform (one from Spain, which partnered with a Brit’ who won a few TdF) and it felt exactly how I expected it to be.
Not only they have (way) less users, but they also can deploy multiple instances of the same courses. So at best we were 30 on the velodrome. Not too crowded, but enough to be able to pick wheels when needed.
Great experience !

2 Likes

I’d like to see a velodrome experience in Zwift. I’m in RI and the nearest velodrome, iirc, is in NY. My chances of riding one are slim-to-none. I think this is a similar experience for many Zwifters. Bringing a velodrome to Zwift would keep alive that part of the sport, and think of the Major Taylor Day we could celebrate. Zwift has always been inspirational. For people worried about overcrowding (rightly so) if the banked track were made simply enough, it would be nothing to just respawn a new 'drome once you get to about 30 people (or so?) but where there’s a will…

1 Like

I don’t think It will be close to a velodrome experience.

3 Likes

This is a no-brainer. It seems feasible to implement, and would attract tons of attention! Implement it, Zwift!

But without steering it’s just riding around in a circle.

2 Likes

Would be cool!!

The elephant in the room has already been discussed up-thread: a velodrome would be a novelty for about 5-minutes before people get bored… unless everyone had a way of steering - then it gets really interesting.

I would say that the current pack dynamics (in particular the advantage a large blob has over both breakaway attempts and small groups trying to catch up) is the actual main obstacle to meaningful track racing on Zwift. Track races on RGT have worked just fine without steering, guess one of these days I should try out the Bkool velodrome as well.

As for the mechanics of going up and down the banking, I’ll just repeat my suggestion that it should be possible to replicate that pretty well with BOOST MODE. No steering required.

2 Likes

I’ve said similar before. Let’s say on a 250m track, it’s limited to 30ish riders at a time. At or below threshold you’d ride on the blue. Blue is home. If you wanted to go up to the rail, you could press the ‘right’ arrow to go up and get a lap count down for a flying 200 effort or something like that. You could also hit the left arrow to drop into the pole or you could simply increase your wattage to threshold or above if you don’t want to press buttons.

400m track and have runners and riders at the same time? :grinning:

going in opposite directions

3 Likes

Is the Zwift social media team trolling me?

3 Likes

I would love to see a Velodrome World!!! Make it happen!!! :hugs::biking_woman:t2::heart:

2 Likes

I think so!