Zwift takes me off timed courses

Thanks. Hopefully you all have put the feature request in. This is way too hard and time consuming. Thanks.

Joe Graviss

I believe there is a feature request for having a timer on every route/course, I think that I should what you are looking for.

1 Like

You do realize that this is just a general discussion forum open to the public and that the majority of the people here don’t work for Zwift, right?

You keep saying you choose ‘just ride’ - as if that’s a thing you can do without also selecting a route. But this isn’t possible!

Your ‘Ride Type’ is “Just Ride” (as opposed to “Workout”) - highlighted in yellow. But there is always a route, too - circled in red. If you don’t choose a new route before you click the ‘RIDE’ button? You will (assuming you consistently use the same device) always ride the same route in a given world. The only exception is if your route choice is ‘surprise me!’ in every world - but, then, you can hardly get upset when random turns are made… because that’s the whole point of ‘surprise me!’.

Your ‘problem’ with timed routes would essentially disappear if you’d just take a few minutes to learn what routes are actually timed and then devote 2 seconds pre-ride to choosing one of them. It’s certainly a quicker fix than waiting for feature requests, and it works just fine.

$0.02

4 Likes

Thanks Joe. I had no clue about the forum, volunteers, who works where. I’m not that tech smart or Zwift savvy.

Your screenshots and highlights show a high degree of insight (and skill) into what I’m talking about, and I appreciate that.

The screen you show is what I see when I turn on Zwift to get a ride in. My ride type is no workout, just ride I guess by default because I rarely change that. And then I click ride and off I go.

I agree with the surprise me randomness and like that.

I just wish that if that randomness puts me in a timed course and a timer shows up in my screen, that it would keep me there until that timed course is over versus randomly turning me out of it and the timer goes away. Having me have to
do something is not for me. I’m lucky to have time to ride much less learn about the program.

I’d like Zwift to make it so if you’re just riding randomly with no workout selected, if you end up on a timed course, THEN you have to do something to get OFF that timed course.

Thanks so much and if somebody can put this in as a feature request, I’d appreciate it.

Joe Graviss

But the timed course/routes have the same starting points as non timed course/routes.

I think you should submit a Feature Request for have a timer for all courses/routes and that should resolve your issue if Zwift ever implements it.

Moving this thread to Feature Request is not ideal based on the content and title.

Then it will NEVER be random because all routes go past the start line and it will always take you on the time section.
You don’t have to be Zwift savvy just read the links on Courses that I posted above you will see where the routes go and that they all cross the finish line. (ok there are a very small amount that does not pass the start).

1 Like

Thanks Paul. I don’t know nor have time to dive into feature requests right now. Hopefully some kind soul will do it. Thanks!

Joe Graviss

Thanks.

Joe Graviss

Just read through this 1 year old post wondering if I was missing something, as I have exactly the same situ as Joe…I just get on the bike and click Just Ride, sometimes I select a particular route, but often I just leave it at the default. Then I start riding, and I usually get heads up (via the leader board) that there’s a timed segment coming up, so I think, OK I’ll give that a go, sometimes it’s one I’ve done before. So I pass the beginning of the segment, the stop watch popsup and I go hard, treating it as a short time trial, then a junction comes up, but the junction does not indicate which direction will keep me on the timed segment…so I leave it to the default, which sometimes keeps me on the timed segment, but sometimes does not and that’s frustrating because I was trying to set a time…seems to me the default should be stay on the timed segment, or at least indicate which of the turns at the junction will keep you on the timed segment…all pointless contributions to a one year old thread, but wanted it off my chest :slight_smile:

Hi @Square_D, I believe the “default” route is whatever one you chose the last time you rode, so there really isn’t a default route, so if you never change routes you will continue to be put on the same one. What world are you trying to ride the timed lap on? I think in Watopia the only timed lap is the hilly route. And on Richmond, Yorkshire, and Innsbruck it is the UCI worlds route.

1 Like

Hi, lately I’ve mostly been on the London World… When I’m on the Surrey hills route it seems to keep me on the timed stages, fox Hill, leith Hill, Keith Hill… But yesterday, hoping for a flatter route, I chose the London Loop route… It was a long timed segment, I think 15k…when I started it I went hell for leather, I got through a couple of junctions and it kept me on the timed segment then about halfway at the junction it took me off the segment and the timer ended without me finishing the segment… There was no visual cue which direction to take to stay on the timed segment, so my effort was in vain :frowning:

Not all routes will lead you up the KOM some may turn before the KOM.

You can see all the routes using this site it is very cool : Routes

1 Like

Not sure about how the London Loop works, but you can see your issue in action quite nicely in Watopia.

Any route that takes you through the start/finish banner on the promenade (I’m in England, bear with me) will start the timer for the Hilly Loop, whether you have selected that route or not. As soon as you take a turn that takes you off the Hilly Loop (which all the other routes will do at some point) the timer will disappear. Likewise, if you start the Epic KOM from the reverse direction and then turn up the radio tower climb before you reach the finish banner. Likewise approaching the village on the hillside, it announces the sprint, but if your route takes you left down the dirt road, the timer disappears before it even starts.

And Mike is absolutely correct, the “default route” is whichever one you picked last time you rode.

Thanks David, it seems like this is just the way it works, I think I’ll suggest a feature enhancement so that at a junction, it can preferably default to keep you on the timed segment by default (if you are on a timed segment), or alternatively give some visual cue as to which direction will keep you on the timed segment (a prominent stop watch above the direction that keeps you on your timed segment should do the trick).

This is happening to me and everyone I know that have Zwift . I tried to do the volcano loop yesterday and literally on the first intersection it took me off the route. Im trying to build up the badges but it won’t let me.
Zwift don’t seem to be addressing this problem it’s been happening for years.

Hi @Alan_Button, welcome to the forums. I’ve never had this issue and have gotten all badges on the first attempt. Are you sure you are choosing the correct route from the menu? You can’t get badges if you make manual turns.

1 Like