I used Zwift a lot last year when I was training for a 1/2 marathon, and for the 3 months I was training I didn’t have any issues running and getting the speed to work correclty.
I have started training again this year and what I am seeing is that, at first, it works fine…but then after about 2 miles, it starts becoming erratic. My character will stop for a 1- 2 seconds, then start again. The speed will erratically spike up much higher than what I’m running at, then drop down to a crawl… And the avatar will continually stop/start and go through this cycle again.
I don’t know if it’s a server issue with too many active users? Or what.
Is there something I can do to fix this?
It’s basicallly unusable in this state…which is too bad, as I had a good experience last year.
This sounds more like interference of some type.
Are you using BLE or ANT+?
How far away is the receiver?
I’m using Apple TV app and a Stryd Pod. I’m only about 6-8 feet from the apple tv device. In addition, as mentioned in my original post, I never had an issue with this last year…same apple tv, same stryd pod.
I’ve double checked the stryd pod was fully charged…so that’s not an issue.
Still could be interference.
Try some of these troubleshooting steps: https://zwiftinsider.com/how-to-fix-ant-dropouts-in-zwift/
And this one: https://support.zwift.com/en_us/ble-vs-ant-interference-troubleshooting-tips-ryUhOTnzH
If you have fluorescent lights that could also cause issues.
Well, I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and just did a 6 mile run, mostly hiccup free. So hopefully that was the culprit.