Zwift Rowing in Weeks? Eric Min

1 Like

ITK = “In the know”

1 Like

Well I guess EXR will be the way to go for rowers :wink:

Thx…! Yes EXR will be! I could recommend it

I haven’t tried EXR ever but can you turn any rowing machine into a connected machine with a certain object?

Dumb trainers with power meters - Treadmills with NPE

Sorry I don´t understand it right I think. In Zwift you could also use a Concept2 rowing machine to ride the Bike (there’s an app who connect it). But its not really funny. In EXR you have a rower in a rower specific world. There are workouts and two games. In further months (the announced it so) there will also be Events, Races aso. Like in Zwift.

Yep got that. I was just wondering whether I could transform any “dumb rower” into a connecter rowing maching just by adding some equipement onto it in order to use it on EXR.
I am looking at Concept2 but it seems stocks are quite rare.

1 Like

There is the Smartrow accessory for the Waterrower. Costs about £250, basically a power meter for your rowing machine which bluetooths all your data out for apps. Believe it’s only designed for the Waterrower range of machines…

Otherwise you have to use the performance monitor which ‘guestimates’ your power and believe it does this a bit slow. You can get this data transmitted off with a Bluetooth accessory (£59) and can be used by your apps.

Pre order on water rowers are around 2-4 weeks on the models I browsed on the www.waterrower.co.uk site.

1 Like

One year later still no rowing option. A. matter of weeks :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

I think zwift are suffering from the “Apple effect”

early innovation/development meant they gained a decent market share and people will buy new version (or keep paying subscriptions) regardless of how good the new products are.

So the conundrum is, spend loads of money to develop new features or products and really push innovation or just spend a bit on a slightly better camera/bigger screen/faster processor (or new bikes/kits/new roads in zwifts case) and the number of customers/users will be pretty similar afterwards .

1 Like

I suspect they may have a spaghetti code issue. Fixing bugs and adding new features take longer than needed and any code changes have a much higher likely hood of introducing new bugs. I think zwift started as a hobby and then quickly grew to what it is now, so (at least from the outside) it is easy to see a code base turning to spaghetti. I’m hopeful that big UI update will come with refactored code base and much faster features releases will follow. And rowing, the prospect of rowing is what got me started on zwift.

1 Like

No-one thinks you’re wrong about spaghetti code but the constant false announcements (not just with regards to rowing) is why I looked elsewhere.

2 Likes

Or maybe a barrel :rofl:

3 Likes

Apparently Jon posted this last week on Facebook so no rowing anytime soon on Zwift.

1 Like

I think you might be right. I’m not a full developer, but having project managed enough development and developers I know how these things work.

Rowing would have been interesting as an alternative.

I thought the “big” new UI release was killed (after being announced as ready) during covid lockdowns in 2020?? Surely they haven’t just been sitting around with a thumb up there butt about actually doing this. Then again maybe I’ve missed something “big” while I paid for the service but enjoyed the summer’s sun.

You haven’t missed anything! Well apart from the increase in bugs in the game.

4 Likes

@Development Team… please add concept 2 rowing feature to Zwift.

2 Likes

Hi @Matthew_Shatynski, welcome to the forums.

Zwift’s last communication about rowing was that it has been put on the back burner for now. I would not expect to see any support for a long time, but always good to put your hand up and say that you would like it.

Ride (probably not going to row for a while) on!

:ride_on:

EXR is a zwiftlike app for rowing that supports concept2 rowers and is out of beta now, available for free trial and subscription. No I don’t work for EXR but wish I had a concept2 rower to try it out