Zwift Rowing and Skiing

Did you read the thread? If you have an IOS device lying around or a friend with one you can setup the Cable device from NPE to provide a seamless connection to Zwift with actual watts from the PM5. The only drawback is you’ll have to be honest when you take a rest by slow pulling it down on watts (or take no rest) as the PM5 will never zero out.

Adding: You won’t screw up your Zwift reality with rowing or skiing. I’m around 240 FTP on a trike, 160 FTP on a rower, and 150 FTP on skier. So every kilometer on Zwift is harder earned coming from a PM5 with actual watts, no worries there.

Rowbikes (sorry didn’t manage to quote properly from my phone): I get that it would be easier to develop, but it wouldn’t be rowing. It’d be cycling, only with the wattage produced by a rowing machine. That’s no different to what can already be achieved today, and personally I think it misses the point.

There’s no drafting in real life on-water rowing. We also don’t chase each other in packs, though we do have Bumps racing which is at least as insane an idea when you consider our racing shells can cost over 50 thousand quid. :wink:

Zwift, please don’t force an entirely different sport into a cycling format. That’d be so disappointing.

1 Like

Well, no, it wouldn’t be cycling. The movement is still a rowing motion.

And TBH it’s never likely to be rowing anyway. Rowers move backwards through the world, and who wants to do that? You’d never know where the sprints started or stopped for a start!

That depends on your in-game perspective. There’s no reason why you couldn’t have a bird’s eye view, or a forward facing view of your rowing avatar (who is moving backwards).

Drafting, pack riding etc are all cycling concepts. They don’t exist in rowing. I can only speak for myself here, but as a rower I want to be able to perform my sport not some half baked cycling version of it because it’s easier. My guess is that “Rowbikes” will appeal to the handful of cyclists who own rowing machines, but if you want to attract a whole new set of users (actual rowers) it has to be an actual virtual rowing environment.

That’s all from me.

4 Likes

That might work in third person. It’d be weird in first-person view, but no more so than a rowbike.

1 Like

Just to bump this thread. Any new words on Zwift Rowing happening this year?

Thnx
David

2 Likes

The Christmas 2019 mark is getting closer, I would still very much be interested in seeing it happen though. My C2 is ready!

3 Likes

Zwiftcast podcast episode 65, Jon Mayfield eludes to Rowing by the end of this year.

2 Likes

Since I did Crew in High School and developed both a great affinity and a loathing for the Concept Ergs… I’m right there with you! Bring it Zwift!

1 Like

I’m just adding my voice to this. I would love to see rowing added as a feature. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Waiting for official rowing support!

4 Likes

Me too waiting (been doing it for a while)!

2 Likes

If indoor-rowing would be supported, I would use Zwift throughout the whole year and not only for indoor-cycling over the winter months…

3 Likes

As a RowPro user for over 10 years now who only rows Online I’m keen to try Zwift but I refuse to use a “Bridge Device” and I refuse to use Apple products being a lifetime PC user and Android user so they need a native PM5 interface via USB to a PC like RowPro before I’m interested. No problems with just using a “Cycling Avatar”, just change the Jersey and outfit to have Concept 2 all over it and separate out the final results into a “Rower” category.

The secret to success of the software is not the wizz bang graphics its the number of users online at any time of the day or night to cycle/row/run with. RowPro is fantastic but there are never enough users online to fill the 16 lanes.

Have now created an account here so hoping for changes in Zwift so I can use it.

6 Likes

Welcome onboard Carl. Paolo, aka at1839.

Btw … Ant+ is the way, not usb. Just allow the pm5 ant profile, as easy as this.
Paolo

Should have USB by default and the ANT+ as an option if you want to use it. Your standard PC or Windows laptop doesn’t have ANT+ so that is an extra $36 Garmin ANT+ USB Dongle required. Like I said, already have way to much wireless in the “Chain” to go wrong and USB is WAY more reliable than any wireless.I have used a USB cable with RowPro for 10 years, it has not failed once. You only use wireless where you have no other option, a hardwired connection on a $5 cable beats wireless every time.

1 Like

Sent a request to support and they suggested I post here, but I found this is already a popular topic (great!). Just wanted to say I spend at least as much time rowing and ‘skiing’ on my concept 2 rower and SkiErg as I do on the BikeErg and would heavily utilize any added functionality for these two activities. I could easily see a rowing area in the water off of that main starting point that would look amazing to see actual rowers out there as you biked or ran by. A Nordic skiing track would be incredible as well, plenty of snow and trees in Watopia! Even a short 10 kilometer route for either activity would cover a whole lot of the training distances people actually put in on these machines. The longer the better, but if you wanted to see if there was interest I know I would happily ski circles around a short and simple course to prove the concept.

7 Likes

I just spent Sunday morning reading through this thread and the various articles referenced therein. Thank you to the rowing community who has contributed to the technical and popularity merits, and thank you to Zwift for noticing and taking this seriously.

As we’re marching toward the end of the year, I hope there has been progress made by the developers and we can get an update to whet our appetites a bit more.

I have had a Concept2 PM5 rower for almost two years. I was turned onto the many benefits of rowing through CrossFit. Unfortunately the rower hasn’t gotten a lot of love of late because, to be honest, it’s gotten terribly boring to rack up km whilst staring at the PM5. I know I’m not the only one who wants to love their rower again.

Zwift will solve this problem for me and many, many other Concept2 owners. As we’re getting into the winter months, we need to turn to indoor cardio and training. I am a cyclist as well, but I haven’t invested in the bike trainer yet. My wife, rightly, pointed me back to the rower upon hearing my annual concern. I’ll get the cycling trainer at some point, but it would be great to give new life to perfectly good equipment.

I’ve added my vote (and these two cents), and I encourage the other “lookers” to create a Zwift account and add their voices to this conversation as well. I know I’ll also vote with my wallet when Zwift is ready for me.

Thanks,

• Dave
5 Likes

I noticed on Facebook a few days ago about a rowing course/route that was available (behind the scenes and hidden) - is there any way we can get access to this even if it’s a help beta test or help push it forward. Getting rowing on Zwift will keep me pushing through the winter months!!! Thanks guys.