Zwift National Championship 2020

Wow, thanks for the info!

So August - September? Maybe?

The World’s finals will probably be in September.(This will be a competition for the National winners to go head to head.) I’m guessing March or April for Nationals, especially since the official rules were just released. If Zwift wants these races taken seriously (and they do), then a proper date should be announced long enough in advance that riders can prepare and peak for such an event. Two weeks notice (like in 2019) is not enough for Zwift’s major event of the winter. It has been stated that there will be some races for Zwifters to enter a continental race for those whose nation is not featured in the Nationals, like a European, Asian, African event. (Something I was very vocal about last year.)

2 Likes

The biggest one-day race of 2018! Zwifters from across the globe will battle for a year’s worth of bragging rights and the right to wear the National Championship jersey for 12 months

.> Blockquote The biggest one-day race of 2019!..

Just to quote ZwiftHQ

1 Like

Correct. If there is a chance for a real big event, I want a minimum of 3 months notice. That’s just enough that I can get a couple really good training blocks and a proper taper in. Anything short of that and I would say it’s a half cocked plan from someone that’s never been a competitive cyclist.

2 Likes

Any updates on when the National Championships are going to be.

2 Likes

Anyone know when the USA National Championship will be?

1 Like

All they said so far is that there will be National Championships, a new Continental Championships (presumably for those outside the 15 chosen nations) and the highly anticipated World Championships.
However, their said motive was to find a date that would suit the professional peloton to insure their participation in both Nationals and Worlds… I’m not sure what that means exactly.

It means “we” don’t have a date but “we” are trying to talk the world tour riders in hopes that they will step away from a grand tour, the Olympics or the world champs to race Zwift.

Meanwhile there is a community of daily users and rabid Zwift fans who are already interested in preparing and training for a national championship. It’s not about the big names or pro teams, it’s about our community. OURS. The people who actually pay a subscription every month and log in daily. Forget the top tier pros and just schedule a date.

3 Likes

Rumors are floating around supposedly from a Zwift executive that the races will be announced shortly, which I’m not really believing yet. Though the statement said something about all riders will be on the same bikes. So pros who have never Zwifted before will not have a slower bike than experienced Zwifters. Makes perfect sense to take away everyone’s Felt, Cervelo, and Tron bikes. Better practice on your trusty white Zwift steed.

1 Like

Then that begs the question… will wheel choice be up to the participant? or is everyone on the basic Zwift Aero frame and wheels? I don’t think that’s a bad decision if they go that route. But then they should also block powerups since that is randomized.

1 Like

Any updates ZHQ on when the National Championships in 2020 are going to be?

We are near 1/4 of the way through the year…

1 Like

Hi @Shawn_McAfee_DIRT, this is from a different thread:

I’m sorry it took a while to get an update. I was able to find out the person who had organized last year’s Southern Hemisphere Zwift National Championships is no longer with us, but we’re currently talking about the event right now. We don’t have current plans on running the Southern Hemisphere Zwift National Championships this year, but we have been discussing it. I’d recommend keeping an eye out on our Facebook page ​ and our Community News Page ​ for announcements within the next month, but if we don’t hold the event this year, we are interested in bringing it back next year. I’m sorry of that isn’t the best news, but if you’d like to check back in with us later, please don’t hesitate. We’re always happy to help!

Ride On!"

We should just hold a championship weekend anyway, someone should. There’s a lot of articles published that with the UCI there would be 15 champions who would vie for a world title. How could this not be prepared and ready to roll out? I understand the whole Korea and Poland issues. But that isn’t stopping a competition either.

Pick a date, pick a course and let’s roll.

1 Like

For something that wants to be part of the Olympics, this is a bit of a joke. Also with all of the IRL events being cancelled due to COVID-19, this should prioritize Zwift championship events even more. You can lead a horse to the water but you can’t make it drink, I guess.

1 Like

Any updates out there on National Championships?

No updates that I’ve heard about the racing but I haven’t been riding and I’m going to say that my 2020-WFH bod is taking shape!

Found an older statement from Zwift worth reading:

The details aren’t yet worked out, but a rough plan is in place. The event will occur sometime near the 2020 Road World Championships, which begin in Aigle, Switzerland, on September 20th. Riders will gain entry through regional and national qualifiers, which will be scheduled in gaps between WorldTour races, allowing road racing’s top riders to enter.

Zwift expects riders from multiple disciplines, including track and mountain bike racing, to show interest, as races are likely to be closer to 45 minutes than the six and a half hours of road worlds.

Parity is a major focus. Men and women will run the same schedules, the same distances, with equal prize money.

“We’re looking at different formats, both individual and team competitions,” said Craig Edmondson, Zwift’s CEO of Esports. “We’ll be looking at different age categories. U23, and also masters categories.

My caution:
Keep in mind that the above statements were made BEFORE the C-19 Pandemic and that everything is subject to postponement or cancellation.

Wish there was an update to this…we’re getting to the point where proper training blocks can’t be prepared. I understand the COVID-19 issue threw in a giant monkey wrench and that Tokyo Olympics have been postponed. I understand plans for racers having to show up to a specific location for the races can’t happen. But why does that mean that at least some kind of national championship for a game that can be run from your living room can’t happen?

4 Likes