Zwift in portrait mode on iOS 16 [September 2022] [SOLVED]

We’ve been alerted to an issue on iOS devices caused when those devices are updated to iOS 16 and also when Apple Health Data Access is enabled.

SYMPTOM:
The game will flip from landscape (horizontal) mode, to portrait (vertical) mode like in the image below, and you will be unable to return to the session.

WORKAROUND:

1. Force-close the Zwift app. Here’s how. Swiping into the background is not the same as force-closing.
  2. Restart Zwift.
    This issue should not recur after these steps.

This appears to be a bug in iOS16 that impacts other apps. The Apple developer community is working toward a fix with Apple Support. We are looking into potential fixes on our end while waiting on an update from Apple.

1 Like

Is Zwift also enabling other aspect ratios on iPad? particularly for iPads with M1 chip on external displays?

Any update on this bug? The app is completely unusable. I tried the work around and the orientation always reverts to portrait after the apple heath prompt no matter how many times I hard close the application.

bumping Thread

Hello,

Does anyone know when this issue will be resolved? The workaround did not, and does not, fix the issue on my iPhone. I have force-closed, removed and reinstalled it numerous times. There have been 4 iOS updates since the iOS 16.0 launch on Sept. 13 and none of the updates have fixed the Zwift portrait issue. Please advise.

Thank you,

Heather

Any new updates?? As with others, I’ve tried the workaround and it didn’t work. Also tried uninstalling and reinstalling. It sucks that I haven’t been able to use Zwift for over a month now even though I’ve been paying for it!

Still no update. Still no communication from zwift. Still totally broken.

If anyone else is experiencing this issue I would encourage you to submit a claim to icloud to have your monthly charges refunded. You can do this in the payment history under icloud in settings.

My claim was process successfully and I was refunded the cost of my subscription. You can then cancel your subscription entirely.

Bye zwift. It’s been a fun 4 years

Hey everyone,
This bug’s been fixed in Zwift game version 1.32.0, which just released. Please update at your earliest convenience.