Zwift Hong Kong 900kms reflections

(David Cain) #1

just to say that I’m loving the program… glitches so far have been minimal, and generally I can just jump on and ride (occasionally I need to reboot a few times to get everything linked up). 

To bring a little more reality to the scenery I added my own mods to replicate real world riding in Hong Kong

SMOG: the visuals are way too clear for me on Zwift… I now wear sunglasses to make things more realistically darker. I’m also breathing way to easy indoors compared to outside, so have taken to adding a packet of Fishermen’s Friend ® candies to my bidons prior to each ride to replicate the constricted throat feeling that I’ve grown to miss. To replicate the stinging of the eyes after each ride, a policeman friend provides pepper spray by the carton. Compared to the pollution, I can barely feel the pepper spray…

NARROW ROADS… to replicate the narrow roads and close proximity to traffic, I have placed my bike inside the closet and ride with the door closed. This generates the required claustrophobic sense, standard to cycling in HKG.

POTHOLES: I screwed a gold ball to the back rim, underneath the tire… this connects with the roller trainer at each revolution and provides a periodic bump, letting me know I’m still alive…    

TRAFFIC NOISE:… to replicate the ringing in the ears I get from riding outside, I placed large speakers inside the riding closet, and play the soundtrack to ‘Apocalypse Now’ at full volume. Works a treat…

It’s a pity the wife didn’t see the funny side… never mind, I now have more space in the apartment for more bikes…