Zwift hardware plans are on pause

Also, wish you luck @Wes :crossed_fingers:

From Ray’s article

We are committed to increasing the development of the core Zwift game experience, increasing the speed of new feature releases, and making the platform more accessible than ever before. We firmly believe these changes will allow us to achieve these goals and better support the continued growth of our subscription business. Further, these changes will preserve Zwift’s strong financial position as the world navigates these turbulent times

This is hopefully good news in the sense of less distractions and more focus on the core product. Time will tell. Although, Wes coincidentally leaving or being let go w/the hardware “pause” seems odd :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Good news definitely. What a waste though - how much time and money have the spunked on this pointless endeavour?

5 Likes

Well. At least Zwift have woken up to the reality of what a dumb idea making their own trainer was.

All that money down the drain that could have gone into the game itself.

I’m glad that a more sensible set of priorities have now been sorted out.

6 Likes

Oh, and sorry to read that @Wes is leaving. So long Wes, and thanks for all the fish.

13 Likes

Thanks for linking to that article, @Andras_Beck.

As much as I wasn’t a fan of the Zwift hardware ideas presented up until now, learning that lots of people who’ve been working hard on a project have been ‘let go’ (*%#&, how I hate HR/management euphemisms) is depressing. Wishing them well.

5 Likes

Sounds like the hardware project has been maintenanced.

3 Likes

They had been knitting that zweater for a really long time…

At least common sense prevailed in the end - feel for all of those affected by the redundancies though, ultimately the result of massive misdirection that was clear as day to pretty much everyone else.

2 Likes

Shifting focus towards structured training (TrainerRoad).

I hope now - they will focus efforts on bridging the gaps and missing functions in the existing trainers and smart bikes and the promised, yet added features they were all going to get from 2 years ago.

Who thought it was a good idea to get into Hardware - and top end at that… glad they saw sense.

Sometimes a company needs to test the waters to see how far is too far. I applaud them for recognizing the shift in the landscape and pivoting. It might make them stronger for having tried - they now know what’s in their wheelhouse and what isn’t.

I’d like to see a “budget” smart bike but it needs to ring up between “smart trainer + mule bike” ($1500CAD) and “full-on smart bike” ($4000CAD).

Ergo, $2000-2500CAD ($1500-1900USD) is the sweet spot - and that’s a VERY difficult (maybe impossible) price point at the best of times.

(edits for grammar, clarity)

The New UI a couple years ago, rowing, hardware and related employees… I see a trend developing here and I think the scales are tipping in Wahoo’s favor now.

2 Likes

Counterpoint to the rowing comment…

I was a rower and wanted Rowing in Zwift to happen so much. I got back into cycling last year, after a decade-long hiatus, bought a smart trainer and sold the RowErg almost immediately.

Running was an easy bolt-on for Zwift and has a broad market. Rowing is niche and no amount of gamification was going to make it fun, or have the mass appeal of cycling. You’ve got gears, inclines, and hands free to type and interact on a bike.

Speaking of the core product, that’s why the first UI overhaul was ditched. Eric Min stated in interviews they needed to work on a lot of back-end stuff (“systems” as he put it) otherwise it was just “lipstick on a pig”. (my words)

For all the frustrations we have with the rate of change, I think cancelling the first UI project, then rowing, now the hardware bike were good decisions that allow Zwift to put resources where they need to.

(edited for grammar, flow)

4 Likes

Wow, John Mayfield coming back to work on the core game?!?!

6 Likes

A coach had me row a bit with my gym sessions a couple winters ago. A 30 minute erg session was just as mentally bad as multiple hour solo zwift ride. I absolutely agree that cycling is better, but I think we arrived to this conclusion without a potentially large investment to do so.

1 Like

It’s never nice when people go through a restructure and lose their jobs - Hoping those who are unfortunate enough to lose their jobs land on their feet.

It’s a tough discussion to mix people losing their jobs and the product, but as a consumer of the product, you have to hope this improves things, the standard of releases was amateur with a snails pace of improvement. There was & is so much to improve perhaps this moves thing in the right direction.

4 Likes

I just read a comment on the DCR video that hit hard:

There is a huge market gap for an adjustable “mule bike” strictly for trainers. Build a trainer-only frame - doesn’t need wheels, brakes, or virtually any of the other trimmings.

If Tacx built it, they could add virtual gearing that “talked” to the NEO and include a single speed sprocket - barely even a drivetrain needed at that point.

I think that would address the issue Zwift was trying to solve: the high barrier to entry for people lacking a bike and smart trainer. (even myself: I bought a second bike that basically lives on the trainer - a mule would have been fine)

10 Likes

Assuming it’s good quality and not overpriced… I’d be in the market for something like that. My sweat is wreaking havoc on my poor road bike. I’ve got a Kickr Core and Climb already so don’t really want to spend the $ for a standalone smart bike.

2 Likes

I am saddened to learn today that many of my friends have lost their jobs at Zwift.

I am disappointed that some didn’t even have the pleasure of learning from official channels.

I don’t care that the IRL Tron bike that will not see light of day any time soon.

5 Likes