Zwift crashing on startup [AppleTV] [1.30] [October 2022] [SOLVED]

Issue still occurring here too. Though I find it happens 1-2 times, then I force close the app, try again and it works.

Imagine getting an email from Zwift saying that due to a software error they were going to charge you 25% extra this month. You won’t get anything for the extra 25%, and there was no way of supplying a refund - feels different that way round doesn’t it ?

It’s the same thing, people are paying for something, and getting nothing in return.

So sure, people can “suck it up”, which was you original comment, but why should we ? Zwift have clearly dropped the QA ball here - Apple TV isn’t a niche platform for Zwifters, and whilst bugs are inevitable in any complex software, how a company deals with them is what sets them apart.

In a crowded market where price is less of a differentiator, quality of customer service becomes the thing that makes customers churn (move to another similarly priced platform with similar functionality).

Could Zwift have identified and fixed this quicker ? Probably not - they are tied to an Apple submission / release schedule.

Could they have been more informative ? Yes.

Could they have rolled back, offered possible workarounds ? Yes.

Hopefully they will learn from this, and make sure that their QA process is more robust.

5 Likes

Everyone has a different schedule, this bug doesn’t affect me so I’m fine, and don’t have any dog in the race, but this is a service that people are paying for, and usually services are up 99.9% of the time, not down for days on end. For some people, maybe this week was their main week they planned to use the product the most in their schedule due to weather, training plan, life commitments etc. Just because you have the flexibility to not care if the product you’re paying for is unavailable for an entire week does not mean that is the norm for others.

I have had the same problems as everyone else however, last night, I noticed that, despite crashing, the app is still loading in a tab in the background.
Rather than reloading the app, I go back to the background app and, after a few attempts, it loads ok

Hopefully the patch will be released soon but at least I can get onto the platform now.
Just need to logon in plenty of time of joining an event

Hi all, I had the same issue on my Apple TV (possibly a 3K one, not sure of which version, purchased in 2021). After starting Zwift it returned to the main menu several times. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app, but got the same issue. I didn’t try a second time or restart the TV box. It did work fine on my mobile which I cromecasted this morning !

Eoin. Try opening Zwift on Apple TV. When it crashes, don’t reopen it but double press the TV button (top right). You should see the Zwift app is still opening on the background.
Select it. It may close a couple more times but it will run eventually. You just need to be patient.
At least, that’s my experience.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip Alan, I’ll try that

1 Like

Interesting - this is what I did today as well and it did work after 5-6 times.

1 Like

Everyone please update to version 1.30.1 at your earliest convenience. Thanks for your patience while we sorted this one out!

3 Likes

I’ve been playing around with this some more today. It seems that the app isn’t actually crashing but opening slowly and atv is returning to the app menu. The Zwift app is still opening in the background.
Don’t click on the Zwift app again.
Instead give it a minute after the app appears to have closed then tile your apps to bring the Zwift app that is loading in the background back to the front and it should open

It doesn’t appear to be available yet. When will it be?

13.0.0 loaded for the first time today though…

@R_Arden_PCC1
It may take a few hours to propagate to all App Store servers worldwide.

You might also try clearing the cache for the Zwift app. On Apple TV that’s done by uninstalling the Zwift app.

1 Like

Thanks!!

1 Like

Downloaded 1.30.1 and opened Zwift without crash. Have not ridden yet, but so far so good.

3 Likes

Cheers again guys. Just tried that tonight and it worked. Never knew about the tiling option by double pressing the TV button. Just like Alt + Tab on a PC

2 Likes

Thanks for that. No issue loading and getting in tonight having updated but still having random connection drop outs in game. I don’t think I’ve had any connectivity issues in the last year up until this issue. Does anyone else have problems ?

1 Like

I had to delete and reinstall the app, which has the new patch and update. It’s working now

@Iain_Watson1
During the triage of this issue - we discovered that a poor WiFi network contributed to the crashes during app launch. This is one reason why some people with identical ATV hardware and OS versions crashed and others did not.

We have a support article with suggestions on how to improve the internet connection at your end. Please try those things.

2 Likes

Thanks to the Zwift team for recognising this issue and resolving it in what I thought was a timely manner
Well done team and Zwift is still my favourite training software