Zwift crashing on iPad (5th Generation) whilst racing since update on April 29th, 2020

My friend and I had similar issues, specifically in racing this week. I was using ATV and did my first race on 5/3/20 and had the app crash 2 miles from the finish line. My friend raced this morning using an Ipad and had the app crash 2-3 miles from the finish as well.

I was not using the companion app, an HDMI adaptor, and AV Adaptor, etc.

2 Likes

Hi Shooj,

I just went for a Alpe de zwift ride (7th May @5pm BST) and just as I completed the first section the app crashed - I rebooted and it logged me back where I crashed but my route time reset and didn’t record. I carried on all the way to the top and as soon as I started the decent it crashed again - logged back in then crashed again so when I finally made it back I saved my ride but it had not looked any route time, drop points early or meters climbed on the Everest challange…! It’s like I never did it ( except my legs say different…!) Any help?
Thanks

1 Like

2nd time in a week that the IOS app has crashed 35 minutes into a race :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Never had issues before but since the update last week I am losing confidence. It’s soul destroying to see league points just disappear into thin air when you’ve worked so hard to be in postion. Come on Zwift - sort it out!

2 Likes

All - we think we’ve identified a cause. This is a critical bug that’s getting our attention.

8 Likes

Just crashed on me 4 mins into a race. Also never saw this before the update. iPadPro running current iOS. I’ll join another race in 20 mins, hopefully this won’t happen again??

Continuing the discussion from [Zwift crashing on iPad (5th Generation) whilst racing since update on April 29th, 2020][quote=“Scotty, post:1, topic:399405, full:true”]
Welcome to the official Zwift forums! A home for you to talk Zwift, receive technical help, and socialize with fellow Zwifters all around the world.

Before riding headfirst into the discussion, read up on our Community Guidelines. Just like in Watopia, the Zwift forums promote positivity and civilized discussion.

Your Zwift “name” is set in stone but your Username on the forums can be changed! Click on your avatar on the top left, select the cogwheel (preferences), then click the pencil next to your name under “Username” to change it.

Can’t wait for you to join the discussion!

Ride On.
[/quote]

app crash 3/4 mile to go in the Tour for All yesterday. So frustrating. I’m using a pc connecting to a tv via hdmi. I’ve had other minor issues with Zwift precociously but not like this. Why am I paying for the service that’s not fully operational?

Just crashed again on Ipad with 2km left in race. 3rd time in a week. I’ve opened a ticket and sent crash logs but I have not heard back.Please try and fix this.

It takes a couple of weeks for support to get to anything sent in. 3 days ago They said they think they have identified the issue and are working on a fix. Until then maybe just do super short races or try another device if possible.

Yes, I will switch to my windows 10 platform until we get another update. Looking through the reported issues it seems more and more IOS users are experiencing this issue. Doesn’t seem to be related to length of ride because I have done just as many rides since the last update without a crash as I have with a crash. At first I thought it was just an IPad issue but I believe it is more an IOS issue than Ipad only.

Hey support

Been racing/riding with my 5th gen iPad for quite some time now with little to any issues ever. This past weekend the Zwift app crashed exactly 20mins in during an event. I was able to rejoin the event in progress where I crashed. It then crashed again at some point during the ride. This morning I did a hard restart of the iPad and ensured the iPad had lots of space available 18gb and had latest 13.4.1 iOS installed. Exactly 30mins into tour for all race Zwift crashed again. Let me know what I can do here

Thanks
Rick Barbera

So do I try to use a different iPad? Windows is a no go. Zwift gives that high end laptop blue screen every time. Is there a temp solution while we wait for a fix? I am also using an Apple hdmi adapter to project to my tv

Since I started this post I have stopped using the companion app. I also exit out of zwift if I’m doing a warm-up and save my ride before rebooting my iPad and joining my races. I’ve not had a crash since Saturday 2nd May (3 races). Maybe luck or maybe the companion app was causing crashes? I’m not sure. Are you running the companion app during your events?

Will
I have do use the companion app to chat In race and activate power ups. I kill LTE on the phone to ensure I stay on the same network.

Will try ditching the companion app on a power up free race.

Will just hikack the kids newer iPads for my rides for now in most cases.

Hi Rick,

Completely understand. It’s far from ideal and I’m not even sure if it even has anything to do with the companion app. I just know that the problems started for me after the update and that I tried lots of different scenarios to see what caused the crashes. Since I’ve stopped using the app it seems to be OK for me but yes it needs to be fixed. At them moment I have to make sure the iPad is within touching distance to use power up’s rather than my phone.

Hi @shooj is there any update to what the cause of the problem is for users suffering crashes in iOS?

I have run Zwift on Apple TV 4K with a Wahoo Kickr for about 2 weeks and just crashed out of the TfA Stage 2 Race yesterday. I was also on the companion app. Didn’t reboot, as I was curious to see what would happen since I was still on the course, just with no leaderboard and no other riders. Finished the route, but Zwift only saved the point up to where I was booted. First issue with maybe 10 rides, mostly events/races. Could have overloaded the wi-fi on this one, but since there seems to be issues right now thought I’d throw mine in the mix.

+1 Crashed on switchBack15 during the Herd Alpe Race on Sunday 10th at 11am EST. Upon reboot, Zwift message said it didn’t save my previous session. Workout mode has not caused crashes.

iPad 4gen. 100gb available… + Companion app on iPhone was on— both running the most current iOS releases, not using Apple TV. I was out of the saddle and not touching any of the devises when Zwift crashed.

I have had the same issue 3 times today. Any update on when the fix will be issued? I am using a 7th Gen I pad and the companion app.

@shooj Thanks for the follow-up!

Two more crashes in races this week, one just now, 30 km into 34 km race. It’s really just too frustrating to use the app at the moment for events

1 Like

Hi. My session has crashed during the last 3 friday “Sprintapalooza” events. It just dies about 5 mins into the event. Hasn’t happened with any other events. I use the Ipad. Is it possible to check the logs and see why this keeps happening? Thanks.