Zwift Companion app on iOS16 won't connect [September 2022] [SOLVED]

Yes it was working on her Macbook but she hadnt upgraded the ios on her phone. Soon as she did that it stopped working on the Macbook but was OK on my Apple TV.

Interesting observation. Do you mean you changed the overall network SSID to something else or you joined the equivalent of your guest network and then flipped back and it worked?

Has anyone who has stuck on the thread tried resetting their network settings on the iPhone and connecting to their wifi cleanly? Would be helpful to rule out that solution if its already been tried.

Mike,

I tried the ‘reset network configuration’ steps to get a new connection to Zwift and had no luck there. Later I plan to create a guest network and see if that helps.

I tried that and it did not work for me.

I did some packet sniffing and MITM against the Companion app on the weekend. From what I understand (skimming the source of RoadCaptain and zwift-mitm) the app is supposed to open a socket on port 21588, then report it’s status (local IP, secret, platform info) to [zwift-API-endpoint]/relay/profiles/me/phone; after that Zwift on the local network connects via TCP to the companion app and streams data.

This is what happened on my iPhone Xs and iPad test devices. On the iPhone 14 Pro companion neither opened port 21588 nor sent it’s payload to [zwift-API-endpoint]/relay/profiles/me/phone

1 Like

Wowww… That’s waaaay above my pay grade!!! But thank you for offering the technical info!!

Pete

Yeah, a guest network on my same Wi-Fi. Back on my normal SSID now, and ZCA works fine there too, without any other change done. Had maybe expected that not to work if it was related to SSID/iPhone settings, but it does… Maybe “Forget network”, and re-selecting the network would do the same trick? Btw, my Spotify also works today, but not sure which step sorted that one; it was out of service one day extra.

No, it’s not.
He just put Zwift and the companion app in the same network.

That’s not the problem everybody is having.

This is how it should look with any app which needs access to devices on the local network.
You can give access or deny access to the local network with topmost switch seen on the upper screenshot („lokales Netzwerk“ = „local network“)

Here you can see the same menu for the companion app.
The „local network“ switch is missing, as if the ZCA is not even trying to get access to the local network and therefore iOS is not granting access and is not asking if it should be allowed or not.

Some phones with ZCA are allowed even without this local network request to connect to the main Zwift program, some not.

That’s the problem, I think.

4 Likes

For those experiencing the problem AND do NOT have the Local Network option in the settings for the Zwift Companion app, do you also have Zwift installed on the iPhone?

iPhone 12 mini w/iOS 16.3.1 here and it works.

But my ZCA does NOT have the Local Network option (Settings > Companion). Accordingly, it also does NOT show up in the list of apps requesting Local Network access: Settings > Privacy & Security > Local Network.

However, I also have Zwift installed on iPhone for the rare occasion I can’t use my Apple TV or laptop, last night for example. Anyway, the Zwift app itself does have the Local Network option and is listed as having been granted access.

Curious if perhaps, my having Zwift installed is what is allows my Companion app to work even though it does not have Local Network access. Kinda random, but :person_shrugging:

It’s the same for me on iPad (ZCA works) and iPhone 14 Pro (ZCA does not work). Both on 16.3.1.

If I understand the process correctly that should be fine, because technically Zwift accesses the local network to connect to ZCA

1 Like

THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME THING I SEE ON MY IPHONE 14 WITH LATEST IOS… it is also not working since months. I can also not use my AppleWatch as heart rate sensor. Sucks big time

I have of course always had my phone and Zwift (computer) on the same local network and it has worked fine for a long time. Stopped working after the iOS upgrade to 16.3.1. After a few days of faffing I changed to a different ssid in the same network for the phone only, then it worked again (computer is wired). Changing ssid made the IP of the phone change, as well as wifi address (my phone connected to a different access point), while router IP is of course same. Might be a red herring, who knows.

Why do you have multiple ssid in your Network.
Different ssid means different network, usually.

Edit: I missed the

part.

Different access point could mean different network in zwift terms.
Even being in different wifi frequencies makes a difference.

I have a few access points in addition to the main router/hub and have given each access point a separate ssid for testing purposes only. Normally of course I just connect to the network distributed throughout, but then my phone might hold onto the indoor hub and not switch to the access point in my shed where my bike is (leading to more drop outs). My theory is that rattling the network settings made ZCA trigger a reset of some internal components.

I’m jumping on this wagon. I just upgraded to an iphone 13 with IOS 16.3 from a second gen SE running IOS 15.7. ZCA won’t sync to Zwift on my iphone 13 - sitting side by side and connected to the same network, my old phone running ZCA will sync to Zwift, but won’t on the iphone 13. The only difference I can see is that on the new phone, “local network” access doesn’t appear as a selection under either the settings for the ZCA app or under the privacy settings. Further, while Apple says that local network access must be approved by user prompt by an app seeking access, this request didn’t occur when I installed ZCA on the new phone - while it did for a number of other apps. Hopeful that Zwift can figure this out as aside from losing ZCA during rides, I can’t run on my treadmill at all because ZCA is how I have to link it to Zwift.

1 Like

Count me in as another who can’t get out of timeout for my new iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 16.3.1. I have followed ALL of the suggestions here and through support and cannot get my phone to connect. I can get any other device to connect…even a 10Xr device running iOS 16.3.1. Luckily I had the old Xr hanging around and can use it, but it seems like there’s a bigger issue here with the next gen iPhones and ZCA.

I use AppleTV to Zwift, so my next move might be to see if I can connect using a PC.

Wanted to add my 2 cents in case it helps anyone.

I too have had issues connecting the companion app running on my iPhone 13 Pro Max to my iPad Pro running Zwift, both on latest versions. It was working fine until the Companion App update that brought in Leaderboards. Once I updated to that version of Companion, it would no longer connect to my iPad. Until today.

Not sure if anything was updated - I didn’t update any iOS or Zwift software, but it started working again today. The only difference in my routine is that today, I played a video on my iPad and AirPlayed it to my MBP before I started Zwift on my iPad and kept it air playing in the background. I don’t think I’ve ever done that before. Seems to work now with or without air playing. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Could be pure coincidence, so YMMV, but here is at least one example where it’s working again.

I’ve been following this thread since i updated my phone to IPhone 14 a few months ago. No luck with any suggestions to get companion to work properly. As stated by others, the option to allow access to local network under companion settings is nonexistent. I was successful in using my old iPhone X until today when the same issue arose. I did not change or update anything and all settings are the same as before… suddenly the local network option is nonexistent on the old phone as well.

My iPhone XR with iOS 16.3.1 does not have a local network setting for Companion either, but it works fine for whatever reason.

1 Like

Same here, upgraded from an iPhone 8 to a 13 Mini, no connection anymore.

Upgrade from iPhone 11 to 14 , no longer working!!!