Zwift Companion and Apple Health Kit

Deleted Companion, reboot, reinstalled Companion no luck. Doesnt show up as data source option.

Companion does show op in health settings, but not the settings you have, and no data.
Tried uninstalling and everything as well.

5 Likes

If I recall correctly, I wasn’t prompted for permissions right away, but once I started my first ride then it popped up. Zwift really needs to add a dedicated connection area to manage this as it appears many people are having difficulty with being prompted in the first place.

Yes, distance is captured as part of the “workout” but not written to the “cycling distance” data element that Brad is looking for given he doesn’t use Strava or any 3rd party product to keep a running total of his cycling miles. Bottom line the way I see it - the Zwift Companion app is not currently programmed to write to this data element in Health and is not a bug; just a feature request.

Mine looked just like this in Settings and obviously no option to select anything to get sync’d to Health. After uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling Companion now this doesn’t show up. Companion doesn’t show up at all.

And for what is worth, I use the Apple Watch for nothing. Just iPhone to Apple TV and Companion on iPhone.

1 Like

Got it. Just pulled up Cycling Distance in the Health App and saw that Zwift can write to it but not Companion. There are a handful of Zwift rides when I didn’t use the Companion App. Feature request is right.

Added a topic under feature request.

1 Like

I don’t get any options, just the Data drill down, and it’s empty, even though I have done hundreds of rides on the Companion app. I’m on an iPhone 7.

1 Like

I uninstalled and reinstalled Companion, then saved a ride. No prompt for permissions, Health data source options still blank.

The interesting thing is that after reinstalling Companion, the Companion app is not available as a data source for Health until after you save a ride. Then it appears in the list, despite the fact that it has no options or data. So it seems that there is some support for Health connectivity, but it’s not working for many/most of us. Maybe it would be good to report this as a bug instead of a feature request.

2 Likes

Rode today, still no companion app and health kit comparability.

After having trouble syncing myself I found a solution that seems to work. Not sure if this will help you Brad, alas it may help someone else.

• Tickr connected to Apple Watch
  • Kickr and cadence connected to iPad
  • Apple Watch connected to iPad
  • Zwift on iPad
  • Companion on iPhone

Seems that the issue with syncing lies with:

• AppleTV and companion or AppleTV alone.
  • Riding with Zwift on iPhone alone

The only way I was able to get round these issues was to use an iPad in the mix.

I use iPad as you describe, however, Companion app has no data as others indicate. With no Health App on the iPad Zwift can’t send data directly to Health.

I have the same problem. After deleting the companion app and reinstalled it, there is no possiblitiy to get permission for the health data. And the companion app isn’t shown in the health app

Totally agree with everyone here. I have gone to the other thread and voted for that enhancement/fix. For me it makes total sense that with the Companion app would be able to upload to Health data. So annoying. I’m in the process of removing the Companion app and updating my iPhone. Based on what I see here I don’t hold any hope, but will report back if I have any success.

For what it’s worth, here’s my setup.

Zwift running on MacBook with 43 inch monitor
iPhone with Companion app
Wahoo TICKR X HR monitor

I have an Apple Watch but it’s not in the mix. I do have a small work around, which is to use my Apple Watch and record an Indoor Ride in the Workout app. This at least captures some of the data. The rest of the data uploads to Strava. Far from ideal but it is a workaround.

3 Likes

Garmin Connect app works to sync Zwift data to Apple Health. I always relied on Strava, and paid for Strava, now I think I’ll just delete Strava. You don’t actually need a Garmin device to use the Garmin Connect app.

2 Likes

Guys, I had the same problem as you had: no zwift data sync’ed with the Ios Health App… I found the solution, be it by a workaround app, but at least you don’t have to enter it manually! There is an app on the appstore called “RUNGAP”. With that app you can sync all activities quite easily. It’s not fully automated and it costs 8,99€/year, but you can select a zwift activity and then click “share” and selecth the IOS Health App. It then updates it. Good luck and I hope I helped many of you Zwifters!

I was able to get this to work today after deleting both apps off of my iPhone and only installing the Companion app. I launched Zwift on the AppleTV and then the Companion app and it asked for Health data access right away. One quick test run seemed to save all the data to Activity. Hope this helps!

YES - for a paid service, I have to say, the simple ability to share data reliably to the leading health data service in the world is just lackadaisical at best. I have to assume there is some parasitic relationship with other apps which do make you pay for cloud data collection and transfer because anything Apple and Zwift just tends to be really, really half hearted effort or “what we can give the intern coder.” (PS if that is not the case, my condolences)

I used to fight with Companion and the Apple Watch over and over again and it is absolute trash. So inconsistent in connectivity that my cardio health rating on Apple Health is telling me “you okay?” No, Apple Health, I’m good, its Zwift that has an unhealthy relationship with you and, no, my heart is not completely not beating every ten minutes or so…

I won’t even go into the mess that is using bluetooth headphones while riding and getting a call…just flimsy.

Look, this is not rocket science, I just need a way to get full metric data into Apple Health, I used to go for Strava but they started doing some weird things with pay-to-report crap.

While we are at it, does anyone else feel iPad UI is really poor? No, I don’t want to start a phantom ride so I can access my garage and settings for the multitude of notifications and badge alerts you leave lying around, Zwift. Also, when I swipe away the “riding near you” menu, I don’t want to follow the rider I swiped near, I wanted to swipe the menu away, code conditional behavior like a grown-up… Lastly, if I am looking for routes to ride and I sort by something, that selection means I am done sorting, I don’t need the sorting menu to stay up covering up the data I WANTED TO SORT TO!

Okay, rant over, just finished a ride and basically frustrated. But between this BS and fighting with Companion I am always frustrated a little after riding Zwift.

1 Like

Another one here who has to put up with this mess. Despite reinstalling and rebooting my phone etc I can get the companion app to prompt for apple health access and it doesn’t show up in the data sources either. I also can get it to show the Apple Watch app as available to install but that’s for another thread I guess!
Given the cost and the fact that most swift users seem to be apple users it’s baffling that this hasn’t been sorted yet.

1 Like

Managed to get this working in the end using the instructions from a blog called the apple watch triathlete about pairing with zwift (I was sent the link by Zwift support!).

When I first paired the watch in Zwift on my iPad the Companion app on my phone asked for health permissions and now shows up in the apple health sources.