zwift century

I using a Kurt Kinetic. Kickr for next year!

My Plan -
I should be in for at least a 2-3 hours probably not the full 100.

I plan to start around 8ish or earlier if I wake up.

If I need a break I plan to just sit out a lap.

I’m riding a trainer not a Kickr.
Greg I’ll send you an email to get a groupme invite.

With the Yellow and Black Jersey’s are we going to be the killer bees or something… LOL. This should be interesting. Sounds like 20mph is an estimated speed is that right? Anywhere ±25 watts from 200 is a good range for me on a long ride.

I currently use a Kurt Kinetic with a Stages Power Meter. The KICKR is on my wish list …

I generally ride by power (not speed), I was targeting between 200 to 210 Watts which will slowly deteriorate during the ride until I am sitting by the deer hoping that someone will push me along …

For 5 hours, avg of 200 watts +/- is my target as well. Probably harder efforts when I am on the front and easier when drafting.

I should have started reading this thread while riding. I’d almost be done by now. :slight_smile: I’m hoping for decent weather so won’t be on the trainer but the logistics of this are fascinating. Please post how it goes. Are people able to generally stay together? Especially with the different trainers.

It’d be interesting if they added a group ride mode that somehow aided in keeping people together. Give a little power boost to those that are falling behind (maybe a small rocket icon). Put a parachute on those pulling off the front. Obviously you wouldn’t want this for a race scenario. Or maybe you guys are going to prove it isn’t necessary and have a perfectly coordinated 5 hour ride. Good luck.

Can’t do it this weekend, but would love to do this in the future.

Did 55 miles on Zwift Island this evening so now will be swimming in morning, good luck guys

may see you tomorrow at around 9am EST, not sure I’ll do a century but will be good to see other people on the track.

This is hilarious, but sounds like it could be fun. I may join you guys for a bit and head outdoors if it gets warm enough later tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

hilarious … crazy … fun … insane … painful … all these adjectives work for me

I did one cent monday, it was fun. I think I had like 15 min off bike. Next time no breaks for me, but that is rather tough indoors. If you have done such a long ride on a trainer in the past you will be psyched at how zwift makes it feel easier. One weird thing for me was that my moving time in zwift was 4:45 but in strava 5:05. Just to keep in mind if your goal is sub 5hr century.

Good luck guys! I may do similar in the afternoon as I am a night worker and can’t do mornings.

Ivan-interesting. I thought I something similar on a ride where zwift lost time. I’m going to keep an eye on that today.

Was only able to ride for 10 laps this morning with the group but that was fun! Kept me on the bike an extra 30 minutes probably just because I wanted to hang with the group. I’ll try a century sometime this winter but didn’t have the time to do it today.

That was the first time I was able to ride with a group for that long and did notice one odd thing. I had a rough time staying in the pack on the descents. If I pedaled at all, I rushed ahead of the group but when I looked at everyone’s power I was at <1 w/kg and everyone else seemed to be 2.5+ w/kg. I am on a KICKR and have entered 202 lbs in my profile. On the flats and the climbs I feel like speed/power if comparable and I am able to hang with the group pretty easily but if my weight really pulling me down the hill that much more quickly or do you think something is flaky there?

Thanks for the ride everyone.

I also tried to ride on the back of the group for a couple of laps and found it tricky to stay on the wheel even with very steady effort, I would either slip off or overlap. You guys in the black and yellow jerseys did really well though. Well done. I’m on a dumb trainer with a power tap, thinking it might be easier on a kickr but maybe not. Anyway, great riding guys, thanks for the ride, hope I didn’t cause any frustration. cheers

I was on a Kurt Kinetic (dump trainer) with a Stages Power Meter for the century. I didn’t have any major problems staying with the group during the monster ride today, of course, I am smoked and need to rest for a week or so.

I was on a dumb trainer with a StagesPower meter. Once I got used to the draft I feel like it went pretty well. Toughest part about the pack was if you had to chase the pack going down the hill. If we get all bunched up at the top of the hill it was pretty fun going down the hill with a really large group. Almost like everyone slingshoting around. I didn’t focus too much on staying on a wheel as long as I was in the pack. Thanks to those that jumped in the pack too. At one point we were probably over 10 people. I felt like it was fun when the pack was bigger. The killer bee guys did a great job of waiting for the century people so we could keep us all together. A one second gap was pretty large when you were on the road.

Ivan, did notice that today on my ride. Strava shows an extra 13 minutes. Maybe it’s taking the time from when you press the Join button and not your actual ride time.

Great job guys! Personally I could not do that indoors without Zwift.

Greg W - that could be it. My distance was a tad shorter in strava as well, maybe about a mile. I notice some differences in Strava between their calculations and my Garmin as well sometimes. I think Strava recalculates things once you upload a fit file. Last thing I notice is that on long rides the gps track over the map looks a little funny in the thumbnail view, as if we’ve veered off track. Just adding my observations since this is the beta zone.

I just got confirmation from zwift support. The time in strava is based on when you click the Join button, not when you start pedalling. Therefore it’s best to be all setup and ready to go before clicking it if you want an accurate time.