Zwift app on Mac crashes every time I "end ride"

(Carl Lorentzen) #1

I’ve only used Zwift a few times, but each time I stop riding and click the “End Ride” button in the app on my Mac, it crashes/quits. I don’t see anything showing up in Console logs regarding the crashes, though.

I’m using a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM, 2.6GHz Core i5 processor, and Intel Iris graphics. OS is 10.11.2. Zwift is Version 1.0 (11).

Please help. Thanks.

(Jon Mayfield) #2

Carl, sorry to hear about that. Mac has a great feature that can give us some real clues as to what is going on when an app crashes.  When it crashes next time can you hit the “Report” button that comes up, and then copy/paste all that text either here or into a support ticket? That’ll tell us exactly what is going on and we can try to fix it asap. Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

Jon

(Carl Lorentzen) #3

Hi Jon –

That’s the thing… No official crash window comes up. I hit “end ride” and the Zwift app just quits. No crash window, no entries in the Crash Reporter in Console. Or is that normal behavior?

Thanks,

–Carl.

(Mike Colley) #4

This problem is exactly the same for me and I also use a mac (Air) Yosemite 10.10.5

(Carl Lorentzen) #5

A little more info: I noticed that if I log in to my Zwift account on the Zwift web site, I do see the ride I took today shown there. But there’s no way to see it within the Mac app. Once I end a ride the app quits with no warning, and when I launch the app and log in, my only option (after acknowledging what equipment is hooked up) is to ride.

Am I missing something?

(Chris FIGHTMS WBR C) #6

I get the same as Carl and Mike. It happens to me right after I either choose to save and update to Strava or discard. It’s not a crash like Carl says but it does end your session rather abruptly.

iMac El Capitan

(Jon Mayfield) #7

That doesn’t sound like a crash.  When you click “Save and Exit” or “Save and Strava” Zwift saves then exits.

We don’t have any built-in post ride analysis aside from what is on the pause screen yet.

(Carl Lorentzen) #8

Ok, gotcha. I would like to put in a vote, though, for changing this behavior. Because it’s very un-Mac-app-like for an app to just quit like that. It seems like it’s crashing (and judging from Chris and Mike’s comments above, I’m not the only person having that reaction :wink: ).

Plus, it would be great to be able to see rides within the app, without having to leave it, go to the web site, and log in there. Is that a planned feature for some future release?

And, Happy New Year! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick replies to my support post.

Best,

–Carl.

(Phil Benoit) #9

I also came here thinking the app crashed. 

After a ride I would like to send my ride to Strava AND Then update my rider should I have level’ed up or complete something else.

Closing the app should be my option not something completed automatically. 

Another vote for changing this behaviour. 

Phil

(Y ohans) #10

I’ve had the crash happen to me. Just once though and at the end of a just watching session which is what I use the Mac mainly for now. 

I submitted the Apple crash log about a week ago. No response yet.

(Richard Passavant (NP)) #11

Definitely upvoting on this too - Stopping a ride, saving a ride and quitting the app should all be unique actions and not a single unstoppable action.  My first reaction was a crash but then I figure out it was “working as designed” 

It’s even more annoying when I stop/save from my iPhone and then I notice the app on the Mac is asking me if I want to increase my FTP but auto-quits before I get a chance to do anything.

The Mac is not a console let the app act like an app and not a game - I should be able to save the ride and still review the stats for that ride before I quit - and at the very least not “force quit” on top of open dialog boxes (that’s terrible UI design…)

(Matt Murphy) #12

I’m glad I came across this. I have been wondering for a couple of weeks now if the app was crashing or if that was how it was designed. I would love to see a post ride screen where I can make adjustments and look at my data.

Also, the other day I wanted to switch workouts mid ride and had to pause and hit “End Ride”. That closed out the whole app and had to log in again. The app takes a couple of minutes to full open on my mac, which was very inconvenient.

(Ian Brennan) #13

Same as above, just started using Zwift today and thought the app had crashed when I saved my ride.

I think returning to some sort of dashboard / menu would be better. Allowing you to continue watching a rider, looking at your profile, or changing your newly unlocked gear.

(Carl Lorentzen) #14

Anyone at Zwift still following this thread? :wink:

(Michael Henasey) #15

This has been the behavior of Zwift since the very beginning.

When you Save a ride, Zwift exits.

The thought being your ride has been completed, saved, uploaded, and now the app will exit.

When you ride outside and finish your ride, you hit stop and save on your Garmin, etc. and you are done riding. No, the Garmin, etc. doesn’t just shut off automatically but that’s sort of what Zwift is doing.

Yes, this issue always comes up and has been since the beginning. I think one day Zwift will change this behavior but I’m sure it’s not high on priority list. 

(Matt Murphy) #16

Yeah definitely not that big of a deal, but a little confusing at first.

Also, the one time I wanted to change my workout mid ride was a pain, having to close the app and reopen it takes a while (relatively).

(Michael Henasey) #17

@Matt M.

You don’t have to exit to change workouts.

Press the ‘E’ key and the workout screen appears.

From here, you can select a different workout, then click the Workout button to change to this new workout. 

You can also Edit your current workout in two ways. Firstly, you can click the little edit icon for the workout and make changes as usual. When you save the workout and then click the Workout button you will start over but with the newly saved workout. The other way to edit a workout that’s in progress is to simply change your FTP in the workout window and then click Workout. 

Whatever you do, don’t click the Cancel button while on the workout screen while a workout is already in progress. The Cancel button really is a “cancel the current workout” button and it will end your workout and you’ll go back to riding in Sim mode.

If you want to get out of the workout screen without making any changes, just hit the ESC key.

(Matt Murphy) #18

Thanks Michael, this will be useful!

(Richard Passavant (NP)) #19

>>> This has been the behavior of Zwift since the very beginning.

That doesn’t make it the best or even user friendly behavior…

>>> When you ride outside and finish your ride, you hit stop and save on your
>>> Garmin, etc. and you are done riding. No, the Garmin, etc. doesn’t just
>>> shut off automatically but that’s sort of what Zwift is doing.

To extend the already stretched metaphor, after stopping my Garmin I can do bike maintenance, wash it down, review the ride, etc.  I’m not forced to immediately walk inside my house then go back outside, reopen my garage just to do simple “maintenance” items.  

That’s the behavior we’re looking for - not quitting instantly doesn’t hurt people who don’t want to do those items post ride, they can simply hit CMD+Q or ALT+F4 and quit, just as those that don’t want to “wash their bike” can go inside when they finish the ride, but that behavior shouldn’t be forced on all users.

>>> Yes, this issue always comes up and has been since the beginning. I think
>>> one day Zwift will change this behavior but I’m sure it’s not high on priority list. 

That’s actually all I’m hoping for by commenting and upvoting here and my own direct feature request - give us an indication it’s even being considered, planned or not planned.  Either way we could all stop asking because we’d know it’s being thought about or coming, or never going to come.

(Michael Henasey) #20

you can review the basic stats of a ride in Zwift at any time from the Pause screen.

once you are done reviewing, just hit Save & Exit or Discard, or keep pedaling.

if there are any dialogs blocking your view, either hit the orange back arrow or hit the ESC key.