ZP cat C almost B

They certainly are, but if you make them the main focus of your week in terms of racing and/or high end training, not many could hammer all four races to their limits and not improve their ability to recover from monster efforts.

You can also use ZwiftHacks search to find races that have “See All Categories” and “Same Start Time”. Useful for folks wanting good racing when at the bottom of a Cat. For example …

1 Like

You also have the option to enter C races that use the ZwiftPower categories instead of Category Enforcement. There are still some out there. That might not help you get more competitive in B, but it’s your choice.

1 Like

I was looking this morning - for the next 7 days, we have 401 CE races scheduled and 370 ZP scheduled. I spot check this now hoping to see CE portion increase but it’s stayed the same for 3’ish months… says a lot about Zwift’s racing focus.

I don’t know if it does. I actually like that Zwift are leaving this up to the community race organizers. I wish there was a little more customization, but not dictating this to race organizers is tough to frame as a negative to me.

2 Likes

It was initially said that they would rapidly move everything to CE if it the trials worked. Zwift then said, yep all good, CE is the way forward. And yet nothing has changed. Even 3R have said / asked here to change all their races to CE - not done. Look at all the threads that pop up on the subject from confused punters.

We need one cat system but with ranking and pen customisation.

1 Like

I think there is a place for a power-based system for some races and results-based for others.

I think that most races should be results-based, but races like the zRacing races that are kind of a joke to people that race often and attract a lot more casual racers could be power-based categories, along with some races focused on beginners.

Sure, but thats nothing to do with offering ZP and CE. All racing should be CE based and at least we have everyone playing by the same rules and the punters get that. We’ll still have people gaming the system. So be it. When/if ranking and custom Pens come into play then let organisers sort races by however they want, power, rank, etc. But offering two power based systems is just nuts.

1 Like

I would say that CE isn’t “all good” - some of the weird behavior needs to be sorted. I’d actually say the changes they’ve made since that first trial have made it worse - at this point, I’d say it’s not better than 95% of 20min other than “catching” people stopping hard at 18min to drop their 20min power below threshold and/or quitting TTT’s to avoid upgrade - probably only a couple dozen or so people were really doing that.

Sure - but as you have highlighted, CE is already better by making sandbagging harder whether that is the sub18min punters or the “I’m gonna race down a cat” crowd, just because CE is less-crap than ZP is not a reason to maintain the two systems in parallel that you advocate.

1 Like

I’m not advocating two systems in parallel, I’m advocating leaving organizers choice in place of dictating something that still isn’t working right. I actually think it’s worse in some ways at the moment.

1 Like

I’m happy that Zwift catted me down to a “C”. I’m nowhere near a B athlete. Maybe I’m a solid last 30% of the pack in a C race. In some short races’ venues, I’ll finish last. That’s OK, I’m old and enjoy trying. But “Almost a B”? That’s a joke . . . right?

Average 202watts /3.16wkg

As shown in your profile. 3.2 is the upper boundary of C category, you are almost B.

2 Likes

Zwift Power will categorize you on the data (power numbers) that you produce.

If you ride at C category power numbers then you will be seen as a C. But if you perform at B level then you will be a B rider.

These are the ZP rules.

2 Likes

Currently looking at defaulting all events to CE. TBD and will share details if we move forwards. Also MUCH better for our support teams who constantly get asked why they are different categories in 2 different systems.

9 Likes

If this is done, would this mean that you’d also turn off all DQ flags (except HR?) in ZP?

DQ flags are set at organiser level and not a decision for me to make on their behalf.

1 Like

Ok, that was the question – whether Zwift (in general) would then start disallowing organizers to DQ riders if CE allowed them to enter the Cat that they did? Isn’t that part of the gist of the confusion right now and what Support is dealing with… “why was I DQ’d when I entered the category that Zwift allowed me to?”

2 Likes

No, as I said above, it was due to riders being two different categories in two different systems. It was not due to flags being added to their rides.

1 Like

Is this before Zwift introduces Race Scoring?
Or to eventually work alongside Race Scoring, or possibly as an alternative option to Race Scoring?

EDIT - “DQ flags are set at organiser level and not a decision for me to make on their behalf.”

Are you suggesting that - if only CE is used for all races, racers can/will still be Dqd for exceeding CE cat limits if that is what Race Organisers decide?

1 Like