Workouts - an old dog learns new tricks!

(Jimbo Solvang - (62)) #1

I am a 60 year old never-wuz-be. I’ve been riding road bikes off and on since the early 1970s. I haven’t raced since a few attempts in the 70s & early 80s. I did some triathlons until I had to give up running 5 years ago. Cycling is my main activity to try to fight the process of aging and to keep relatively fit.

I have been using Zwift for over a year on my old Computrainer. I’ve loved it. In the last 3-4 months most of my Zwifting has been concentrated on Marco Pinotti’s 12 week FTP builder with 4 FTP tests thrown in to see if the bar moved. It is the first time I’ve done power based training as I don’t have a power meter on my bike and have relied on speed and HR when outdoors.My FTP increased over the period of the indoor training but I wanted to see if would translate to results outdoors. Today was the test.

Today’s ride was on a route in Southern Florida. It’s a ride I’ve done several times in the last 3 years when here on vacation. The road is pancake flat but there is always wind. Until today I think I only did it once in with an average speed  slightly above 30kph. Most times it was in the 29 kph area. Today I averaged 31.5 kph and wind was a factor. I surprised myself with how good I felt and the speed I had in the head wind sections. 

Thanks to Zwift and Marco Pinotti for helping an old geezer improve. Bravo!

I am even contemplating the purchase of a power meter for a bike to try to keep in  The Zone!

(. TomH..) #2

Hi Jim, 

Thank you so much for sharing your Zwift experience! Now even you can confirm with many more riders including myself that Zwift riding does translate into outdoor results! We call this “Zwift Effect” 

Regarding the power meters, there are some “cheap” very accurate devices like Stages PMs or some trainers with build in power meters like Wahoo KICKR or some with exceptionally accurate power curve like Tacx NEO. There are many more on the market so make sure you do your research before the purchase. :slight_smile:

I hope it helps, stay fit, stay tuned and Ride On!

(Jimbo Solvang - (62)) #3

Thanks. I’ve done the research in the past few months and a Stages has been ordered & is on the way.  Best bang for the buck and more than a geezer needs!

(. TomH..) #4

Nice! In that case welcome in the world of real power. Now you will find out you were actually pushing way more than previously thought or the opposite :slight_smile: Don’t forget to upgrade the firmware, calibrate and read the instructions. :slight_smile:

We’ll catch you on the Zwift island Jim!

Ride On!