Women only rides?

I have noticed that there are a lot of rides dedicated to women only, do we have to discriminate even in a virtual world? I have never seen a men only ride announced,would be interesting to know why we cant ride together.

Probably a number of reasons and the same reason my cycling club and others have women only group rides:

1. Pace is a bit slower than group rides with men. Much less likely to have flyers in women only events
  2. Not having to put up with men talking to them / chatting them up.
5 Likes

As my wife says, a lot of them want to compare themselves to the top dog (or be the top dog). As in female dog. They arent competing against the men in the real world. If you’re not a woman, you’re in the way in terms of data collection.

Its absolutely goofy to say its ‘discrimination’. If you want actual cycling discrimination, just look at the way the UCI treats women’s cycling. :wink:

And even on a non competitive outlook, some times it nice to just get away from the other ■■■. Just as bros bond doing bro things, women also have a sense of camaraderie and I bet its nice for them to get the ■■■■ away from dudes for a while.

5 Likes

For me zwift is a virtual world with cartoon avatars riding around, i now understand thats not how everyone views it.

The problem with those rides is that now there is less SUB2 events available for men. Half of them are women only now, and I’m not that good of a rider to go much faster.
I can understand why this type of rides have a place in real world, but not in a game, and not with non-race events.

5 Likes

I do not know how many sports there are in the real world competing women and men - in this moment I know about sailing and equestrian.
Sure there are more.
Has IMHO nothing to do with discrimination; just respecting there are some differences.

This is why I’m talking about non-race events

1 Like

I have no problem with it, but I would like to be able to filter them out. This would allow Zwift to use the additional screen real estate to load events that we are eligible to join.

1 Like

My wife cycles both IRL and on Zwift so i have first hand experience of why females ride in single gender group rides/races.

First, lets address the obvious physical differences. Women, generally, are lighter than men. So when rides are measured on w/kg they are at a disadvantage. A 55kg female riding at 2.5w/kg will output 138w. A male of 80kg doing 2.5 w/kg will be doing 200w. This will equate to the male going faster in Zwift on the flat. Add the group draft and females have to work harder in comparison.

Second, the male banter and ego. Let us be honest and say that sometimes the conversations that men have can be deemed unsuitable for females. We have all participated in them so ladies can want to remove themselves from time to time (it’s the same as men wanting their own time in the bar or pub really). Also male ego’s wanting to race in a group ride and push the boundaries of the ride make point one worse.

For the record, my wife takes part in mixed rides on Zwift and IRL and takes great delight in being able to do that.

6 Likes

Thank you Martyn and yes, you have nailed it. I’m a 52kg female and have noticed that in coed rides, I need to put out about an extra 0.5w/kg over the advertised pace just to keep up. There’s nothing wrong with that, and I do participate in both coed and women-only rides, but it is helpful when the stated pace reflects reality.

The banter/ego/flyers items you mention are spot-on as well. I haven’t noticed any really unsuitable conversations from the guys, thankfully, but there can be different interests. I remember turning off the group chat during the NFL playoffs, for example, but then again I don’t expect a whole of dudes to be especially interested in the respective virtues of, say, different brands of chocolate. So it’s all even. None of it is a value judgment, they are just different.

That said, I have participated in plenty of women-only rides that have had men joining in, and they were fine too.

3 Likes

I agree with that sentiment, I suppose it might be to do with the w/kg thing if your serious with races, there are some good rides that would suit me though (I’m a beginner) that are women onlyd a bit unfair… I don’t think a men only catagory would go down well even though most sports are divided.

1 Like