Windows Bluetooth Controllable not setting resistance in ERG mode

Setup: Wattbike Atom (firmware version 1.02.1), Windows 10 version 1909, connection via Bluetooth

Good: Pairing is all fine via Bluetooth to my Atom for Power Source, Cadence and Controllable.

Not Good: When using a workout in ERG mode, even though the Zwift app in windows states I am in ERG mode (by stopping to peddle I get the ERG mode temporarily deactivating and then reactivates when I start peddling again so Zwift thinks all is fine). However, there are no resistance changes while peddling. I can change gear on the Atom which I would not expect when in ERG mode.

Note, if I use the companion app instead of Bluetooth from the windows machine or even use the Android app, everything works as expected, i.e. resistance changes to keep to the power target and changing gear on the Atom has no effect.

This appears to be a bug in the Windows App for Bluetooth only and specifically for controlling the resistance.

Is this a bug? Is there a workaround or a fix? Any help will be very much appreciated.

Hi @Wayne_Robinson_PACK welcome to Zwift forums.

Just wanting a little clarification on this - are you saying that if you use the Zwift Companion app’s Bluetooth bridge to connect the Wattbike, then everthing works as it should?

Recently, another Wattbike Atom owner contacted us reporting a similar issue. The common threads beside the Wattbike are: 1) Windows10, recently patched and 2) Bluetooth connection.

This other person did some meticulous troubleshooting on his end, and provided us some valuable feedback to help the long-term resolution. He tried an ANT+ dongle for the Wattbike, and this issue didn’t occur. He also had an iPad to run the Zwift app, and on iOS - the issue doesn’t occur. If either of these workarounds are viable options for you, we suggest you try them.

On the Zwift end, the QA team has been alerted. To me, this feels like we need Wattbike’s help to resolve. I’ve heard that you can ask Wattbike to join a firmware beta group but don’t know if the current beta firmware fixes this issue over Bluetooth or not. Please report back if it does?

That is correct, if I use the Zwift companion app’s Bluetooth bridge to connect to the Wattbike, it works perfectly fine.

I didn’t used to get this problem but it is quite likely that a Windows update triggered this. It was not version 1909 that caused it because I upgraded to 1909 to see if that fixed the problem. I was at version 1903 prior to that.

I cant test with an Apple device because I don’t have access to any.

I have just tried with the Wattbike Atom beta firmware version 6.00.32 and the problem still persists.

For now I will use the companion app to act as a bridge, which is far from ideal because I have had connectivity issues using it before I used native Bluetooth, which prior to this issue has been faultless. If that becomes troublesome I will use the android app (not companion but the actual Zwift app) on my tablet which again is not as good as using my 46" TV :frowning:

If there is anything else I can do to provide more diagnostics please feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks for reporting back with more details. We appreciate you adding more information.