Windows 10 recaptcha_en.js login error [November 2021] [SOLVED]

@shooj Getting this again at present, even on a clean build. Verified on another PC by logging out.

There is a workaround that works by blocking the website www.gstatic.com.

See instruction in this thread:

5 Likes

Iā€™m having the same problem. I have managed to work around it, but itā€™s a bit of a pain.

Although I could dismiss the error dialog, it seemed to make no difference whether I said Yes or No to allowing scripts to continue running. It also came back with every keystroke.

I worked around it by typing my password into Notepad, then copying it. After dismissing the error dialog, I right-clicked in the password field and selected Paste. Then I was able to click the Login button. IIRC I had to dismiss the dialog again, then could click Letā€™s Go.

Windows 10 Pro
Build 19041.1052

The version of IE on my Zwift computer is also 19041.1052, but I have the same problem on my main PC (Windows 10 Home 19043.1165).

The script (https://www.gstatic.com/recaptcha/releases/UrRmT3mBwY326qQxUfVlHu1P/recaptcha__en.js) causes an error in the MS Windows Based Script Host.

Whether itā€™s the same problem or in the same place, Iā€™m not sure, but it looks like itā€™s this ā€œreturnā€:

case N[1]:return S.return(S.D);

@Daren @Dave_ZPCMR
Thanks both for flagging this up. Iā€™ve relayed to the team to investigate.

1 Like

@Dave_ZPCMR @Daren

Are you both on Zwift launcher version 1.0.52?

Yup. Old one doesnā€™t work any more. :wink:

1 Like

Downstairs, Iā€™m not 100% sure. The PC isnā€™t on at the moment to check.

Upstairs, at this PC, yes itā€™s 1.0.52.

However, I just launched Zwift here and had no problem with the JS this time.

It was a fresh installation, so it might be that the full update process left it in a different state compared to my Zwifting PC in the garage. (It took about 10 minutes to patch everything - I think my downloaded installer was more than a year old.)

In the OP I had it come up immediately on a new PC build as soon as I tried to log in - this was on a clean and updated install of Win10 and Zwift fully installed with the up to date zwiftsetup.exe/launcher. I went over to my laptop and hit ā€˜Change Userā€™ to test, which brought it up instantly. So in both cases for me the game was fully up to date. My main rig is permanently logged in (as I suspect most people are) so I wouldnā€™t see it there.

Same problem happens here on the setup which worked yesterday.

I worked around the problem by adding www.gstatic.com to Restricted Sites in Internet Options and clearing the cache.

5 Likes

@Jesper_ZwiftHacks
Nice suggestion!

@Daren and @Dave_ZPCMR
Would you kindly try the two steps Jesper mentioned and confirm / deny results?

1 Like

Iā€™m very sure it will work, not ideal though. Whyā€™s it even being polled by the launcher, if itā€™s so unnecessary that it can be blocked without issue?

@Dave_ZPCMR
Weā€™re working on resolving it from this side so that Jesperā€™s workaround isnā€™t needed.

UPDATED: But in the meantime, have a few confirmations that the workaround is sound. Please use Jesperā€™s steps above. Daveā€™s illustrated guide to Windows Internet Properties (below) is useful.
Type ā€œInternet Optionsā€ in the Win10 search bar to get there.

UPDATE v2: Weā€™ve had users confirm theyā€™ve clicked OK until they get past the error message. This might be a simpler workaround.

Yep, works fine. I didnā€™t need to clear the cache, just blocked the URL via Internet Options.

4 Likes

Yep, works as a workaround for me too.

I also realised that the reason the problem had ā€œgone awayā€ earlier was because I was logged in already. Once I logged out the issue came back.

2 Likes

Same here for me another day another problem

1 Like

Having the same problem here, the workaround above (adding gstatic to restricted sited in Internet Properties/Security) seems to have worked, but why is this necessary?!

I am having the same problem as well. Blocking gstatic worked for me also.

Regarding Update v2 (see above): I had different script error issues before and was always able to continue by clicking on ā€œyesā€. But this does not work in this case (recaptcha). The error reappears afrer every keystrokje in the input fields.

Blocking gstatic is not a long term solution in my eyes, since this site hosts static web content of google. So this might cause problems in other applications. Many other websites will use google ā€œrecaptchaā€, which is the following:
ā€œreCAPTCHA is a free service that protects your site from spam and abuse. It uses advanced risk analysis techniques to tell humans and bots apart.ā€

Please donā€™t always quote a solution that one of your paying users came up with (already in earlier occurences of script erreors), but solve the problem properly.

5 Likes

Same hereā€¦
I thought that it was a virus but it seems an issue seen by several persons hereā€¦
I tried to reinstall zwift but still having the same issue :frowning:

Same here. It always popped back up irrespective of which option was pressed.

I agree itā€™s not a long term solution, and Iā€™m sure Zwift donā€™t think so either. Since thereā€™s no CAPTCHA in the Zwift login screen it would seem completely redundant. I dare say they can probably just remove it, and it might only be there because someone used some other code as a basis.

Blocking gstatic.com in the Internet Options should only apply to IE. Few people will use that as their primary browser these days (I hope). Chrome, Firefox, Edge etc. shouldnā€™t be affected. Iā€™ve tested it, and even with gstatic.com in the restricted sites list, I can still load the script in Edge (the one most likely to take any notice of Windows Internet security options, Iā€™d guess).

5 Likes