Why I am Too slow

even though I am drinking one now

Impossible IRL, perhaps, but in Zwift there are a number of cheaters, as well as some interesting software glitches that can lead to strange things happening. There was a guy in my ToW race on Tuesday who was putting out less than 200 watts but going around 50 miles per hour. Software glitch that he couldn’t help. I’ve seen people going over 150 mph every so often.I flag them as fliers when I can catch the name.

Also, the other posters are correct about the Garmin. The speed you see on it has no direct bearing to your in-game speed. It might show the same speed as Zwift on a flat section, but never on an uphill or downhill. The Garmin is just telling you how fast you would be going outside on a flat road at your given power output, since it’s based on the turning of your rear wheel. (And even then, only if your wheel size is correctly set up in the Garmin.)

If you are putting out a steady 200 watts the speed on your Garmin should never change, regardless of the virtual terrain, but your in-game speed will increase and decrease. This is exactly what would happen IRL if you keep a steady 200 watts but move from the flats to an uphill and to a downhill.

1 Like

I understanding cheating, people setting their weight at 0. dont’ care about that . I can NEVER do more than 4 mph up hill WHY??? it never changes. It should be around 8 or 9 or 10.

Find a hill of 6% and ride at 250w average and you will be faster than 4mph.

NO i have done 8% at over 300+ with a cadence at well over 100 and 4mph maybe 5

this is a video game a training exercise.

Looking at your activity photos I see the following:

Feb 22 (Tour of Innsbruck): 7mph @ 140 watts on 3% grade
Feb 8 (Richmond): 9 mph @ 162 watts on 2% grade
Feb 3 (Richmond): 10 mph @ 194 watts on 2% grade
Feb 1 (Watopia): 7 mph @ 219 watts on 5% grade
Jan 25 (Watopia): 7 mph @ 183 watts on 5% grade
Jan 23 (London): 7 mph @ 182 watts on 5% grade
Jan 5 (Yorkshire): 9 mph @ 141 watts o 6% grade

It looks like you’re regularly over 4 mph on climbs. I have no idea how these speeds compare with what the output would be in the ‘calculator’ Gerrie used above, but the speeds seem pretty reasonable to me.

1 Like

That’s not what I see when I ride. I see 4 mph

plus those are low grades what about 8% + grades

Thanks for your help once again the weather is changing here, I will ride outside in “real” life and get real data.

I didn’t see any ‘photos’ of you on an 8% grade, so I can’t say for sure. But based on around 7 mph on a 5% grade, 4 mph on an 8% grade sounds about right, at least for wattage output around 200.

What gear ratio are you using on zwift, are you spinning out because there is not enough resistance on the trainer. Set your trainer difficulty to 100%

Can you give us a link to your strava file of a outside and Zwift ride.

I’m a big gear person, I am never spinning out.

I do not down load to Strava, to embarrassed to because of the results.

image001.jpg

You should not judge your performance by speed or distance for either outside rides or Zwift rides.

Ride On!

Zwift is a game.

Out door “real rides” is REAL

I will be judged on my outdoor rides NOT a GAME.

image001.jpg

1 Like

The real world’s gain is Zwift’s loss. You seem such a generous, grateful and positive member of the Zwift community.

15 Likes

Regardless if it is indoors (Zwift) or outdoors you should judge your performance by HR and/or power.

My coach has me training using HR. Since you do triathlon you might have heard of him, Mark Allen.

Forget speed and distance and work on what is important

I’m in Kzoo, small (Zwift) world!

Lived at Drake’s pond apartments when I lived there

Wow, you guys are impressively helpful and patient. Kudos!

5 Likes