Weight Is Allowing Only Whole Numbers - No Decimal Places

I think i’m going mad here! :slight_smile: For as long as i have been using Zwift, i have been able to enter my weight with decimal places (73.1, 72.8, etc)

About 2 weeks ago, when i tried to edit my profile (using Safari, on macOS) the UI has changed (looks more like an iPhone app view)

So i tried on Windows 10, using Edge browser, an the UI was the ‘old’ one, and i was able to enter decimal places for weight.

As of today (Wed Aug 12, 2020) the UI on both my options (Safari, Edge) is the ‘new’ one, and i am not able to enter decimal places.

Am i missing something? I found some requests for ‘allowing decimal places’, and i saw something about the Feb 2020 Zwift update that ‘allowed’ decimal places - so what happened?!?

Hi @Brett_Osler_Serpi

Good news is you are not going mad. :slight_smile:

Zwift changed the website so now you can not do decimal numbers.

1 Like

One might be tempted to ask, “why?” But since no one who actually knows the answer will ever respond, never mind.

Integer arithmetic is “cheaper” computationally; Zwift are doing their bit for the climate crisis by reducing simulation server power requirements :wink:

1 Like

It makes sense not to do decimal places on weight and the phrase “don’t sweat the small stuff” comes to mind - because you can easily lose several 0.1s of a kilo through sweat on a ride.
For example I often drink 2 bidons on a Zwift ride to keep hydrated - that’s more than 1kg of water - so it’s impossible to say exactly how much I weigh at every point on every ride.

1 Like

What? Didn’t Intel develop AVX-512 specifically for Zwift?

And, so, do they restrict Imperial weights to even integers, for roughly comparable precision?

The thing I really don’t understand is the question of priorities. Someone at Zwift decided that it was more important to eliminate fractional weights than it is, say, to implement save without exit?!?

1 Like

You might want to submit a ticket to Zwift Support to verify body weight is being rounded or truncated to whole numbers in your data record. That you are not just seeing how numbers are displayed in the app or browser interface.

I do tech support for colleges and universities where the learning system might store values such as test points and grades as decimal numbers in the database but display only the “whole number” or with just one decimal point. Anyone working with Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet apps have seen this where a value may have several decimal places “72.8765343” but the column will display “73”.

This gets better and better…

Whilst weight is now rounded to an integer (and you could argue that a decimal place is significant), the new Sterzo Smart sends its angular data to Zwift using an IEEE 754 floating point number - that’s a whole 32 bits :wink:

What is the world coming to? Can we just standardise and go back to 8 bits for everything? (reaches for 6502 chip)

PS Apologies for steering this thread in the wrong direction!

In radians, I hope!