Web based Zwift

That’s my whole point.
Zwift is doing so much - continuous - data transfer across the inter-tubes that it is essentially a web-app, not a stand-alone application. It may have its roots as a standalone (classic) application, but, let’s face it. It is deployed on AWS or equivalent, doesn’t function without an internet connection, and makes use of a variety of internet protocols.

If that’s not"web based", then we have different ideas about what that phrase means.

So, given that it is in fact “web based”, it should really take advantage of the platform independent UI standards provided by HTML5 (plus javascript, etc), and thus would run in basically any compliant browser (or web toolkit)

Sorry if this hurts your feelings.

Unplug your internet and Zwift will run just fine without showing other riders.

Please keep this conversation on topic.

6 Likes

Zwift would be soooo much better written in JavaScript and HTML. Why hasn’t anyone thought of this before?

1 Like

I challenge you to do the following, in order

1. Disconnect from the internet
  2. Run Zwift.

I have no idea how you think html5 is relevant to the core of Zwift gaming rendering engine. I give up educating you.

2 Likes

That’s because Zwift want to check you have a valid account. Means nothing.

3 Likes

No doubt there was a time, early in the development of Zwift ,when this option was considered, and dismissed as a bad idea.

Now, now doubt, there are renewed calls among the Zwift devs to bite the bullet and rewrite the whole thing just like I suggest, for a variety of reasons.

You have to be on the internet to authenticate the user. But after that you can disconnect.

5 Likes

I think it means that Zwifft requires an internet connection just to function, which pretty much negates your statement.

You don’t need to educate me. I already have a pretty good handle on the available technology, and how it can be used.

no it does not. It only need the internet to know where other riders are.

3 Likes

Allow me to educate you:

The “canvas” element was introduced in HTML version 5.
en DOT wikipedia DOT org SLASH wiki SLASH Canvas_element

I, too, give up arguing with you. Clearly, there is some kind of communication issue between us. We are speaking the same language, but, somehow not actually delivering any form of intelligence (i.e. knowledge) with that communication.

But, thanks for an amusing conversation.

That’s exactly the case. Web-based means the World Wide Web. That in itself is an HTTP/HTTPS-based hypertext system.

FTP isn’t Web-based. Gopher isn’t Web-based. Telnet isn’t Web-based. SMTP and NNTP aren’t Web-based.

TCP/IP and UDP aren’t Web-based.

If you’re asying Zwift is an Internet-based, or TCP/IP and UDP-based application, I think you’re on firmer ground.

2 Likes

Well, you are welcome to keep believing that for something to be web based, it must use HTTP, and HTML.

The rest of the people I work with, who actually write Web Based applications ALL disagree with you. Web protocols span several OSI layers, and include several protocols within each layer. Mostly none of them work without the others.

Thinking otherwise is kind of pedantic, and doesn’t reflect reality.

But, OK, you have your opinion.

Zwift runs locally all 2.65GB of it.

5 Likes

Zwift does use HTTP(S). It’s just that that layer is probably something like the cycling equivalent of Pong.

If I download a .docx file over HTTP and open it in MS Word, does that make my word processing web-based?

5 Likes

OMG !

Try to “telnet” to port 80 (http) and issue HTTP commands.

Sorry, it just works !

How can that be ? You might ask. Because, what you think, and how it works are actually 2 different things

No.

But, if your view of your document continuously changes as a result of data being pushed via a “web based” application, and your local input, then you are running a “Web App”

I can telnet to an SMTP server or NNTP server and issue commands too. HELP, MAIL FROM, CMSG, IHAVE etc. That doesn’t make them Web-based or web applications.

2 Likes

By the same token you would have to argue that any online multi-player game is a “Web app” and that is patently ludicrous. Data regarding the locations of other riders is communicated from Zwift servers to your local machine to be rendered within your execution of the program but, if you disconnect your device from your local internet connection, Zwift will run perfectly well, display the virtual world you are riding in, control and respond to your trainer and record all of the data generated by your ride. The only thing missing is other riders because the program has no data to show where they are … the program itself is installed, and running, on your local device.

6 Likes