Wahoo Kickr Core Not Reading Power

(Tim Buchholz) #85

I bought two Kickr Core’s a couple weeks apart for my wife and I in November. I wanted to be sure I was happy with the first purchase before making a second, which I initially was. They worked great for a few rides, but a couple days ago both completely stopped reading power as many of you describe above. I went through all the Wahoo troubleshooting steps to no avail, and submitted a ticket online. They are shipping me two new ones in 3-4 business days (guess they’re backlogged). I found it interesting, and don’t see mention above, that they sent a graphic with the email saying to use ONLY the new power block (power adapter) with a serial number sticker on it and to NOT use the old adapter with the new unit. Has anyone else gotten this feedback? Could a batch of faulty power blocks be the source of all these problems?

(Tim Buchholz) #86

(Mike Montgomery) #87

This is interesting and sort of ties to the talk of a “fried comm chip” over on DC Rainmaker’s page. It seems like Wahoo has identified the problem and will be making a statement soon (whatever soon means.) I’m two rides into my second Core and everything is still working as expected.

You have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the discussion https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/09/wahoo-kickr-core-trainer-in-depth-review-2.html

(Marco Lagger) #88

My first Kickr Core arrived mid November and failed after just three rides in one week.
The replacement I got on November 30th lasted for about 30 training sessions until yesterday. I was quite upset and immediately called the support - which is very responsive and helpful here in Germany - and was going to tell them that I want my money back in order to buy a discounted Neo or something else but Markus (the always helpful support) assured me that they finally figured out that the Cores were damaged by voltage spikes caused by faulty power supplies. He also that told me that this occurs more in dry conditions (my pain cave is in my heated office room). And now they are only shipping replacements with a revised PSU.
All this makes sense and I am going to give it one more try. And I also like Wahoo a lot and really understand that trainers can not be as thorougly tested as smartphones or cars as they just not a mass product to the same extent.
And at least they are super helpful and honest if something goes wrong (especially compared to something like the Tacx support that I had to try once).

(Maslento Tartaruga) #89

Update: I also was finally able to get in contact with customer service (I guess they were overwhelmed) and a replacement unit is on its way. I received the same indication about only using the new power block. Hopefully, they have identified the problem.

(Nicholas Sylvestre Williams) #90

Grrr. Bought my Core a week or so ago and had a total of 3 rides and now same issues. No power or any other readings. If I use the wahoo app, I can get resistance to change so it’s reading and seeing over BT, but no power feedback. Submitted the ticket so we’ll see but quite unhappy about this.

(A Tremblay Qc Cp) #91

Same situation here… connectin without power… will be replace but… if this happen again, switch to Neo, Wahoo should make a public statement because too many hardcore user are affect by this issue!

(Mark Truckey) #92

Continuing the discussion from Wahoo Kickr Core Not Reading Power:

I bought my wife a kickr core for Christmas. Set it up Christmas day and rode for about 5 mins before it quit sending out power and speed readings. After searching online, I came across this article. I went right to wahoo with the problem, they said I have a known hardware issue and they will be sending me a new tested unit. Howeve this unit was going to take 2 weeks to ship because of the high demand of returns! New one arrived and lasted 2 rides before it stated doing the same thing. I want NOTHING to do with anything wahoo after this experience. Its all going back!

(David W) #93

Another dead-on-arrival $900 trainer.

I bought a Kickr Core just after Thanksgiving, but then got busy remodeling my basement and only had a chance to set it up today. It paired easily with the Wahoo app and the Zwift app, but when I hopped on the bike and started Zwift, I just sat there on the side of the road. No matter what I did, nothing happened.

I thought I wasn’t using Zwift properly, but then I figured out that it wasn’t transmitting speed or power data to the Wahoo app or the Zwift app. Tried all the troubleshooting methods, but nothing worked. Turned to google, and discovered that lots of people have been having this problem.

This is pretty disappointing for something I spent $900 on. That’s a lot of money. I thought Wahoo was a solid company, but this is pretty sad. And now I have to decide whether to return it to REI, or try to get Wahoo to send me a replacement. Either way, I have to box it up and drive to REI or to a UPS store. What a hassle.

(A Tremblay Qc Cp) #94

Wahoo Ceo address the .“no speed/power” issue today. Watch this…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgromwkTOs

(G odmother Fox-Neo2) #95

Hi Dave

I’m a little bit late with my response … I can confirm your observation. Several days ago I unpacked my new Neo2. As You stated: Day and Night. Everything works flawlessly … knocking on the wood :wink:

The trainer runs “smooth as silk” - simply awesome experience. Downhill, uphill, flats, all … it’s pure joy to use it … Also, I can keep my power output better balanced than before. Everything has paired in one step - no problems. As all data are present in one channel (cadence, power, control) I can pair trainer with my AppleTV without Companion App (now I use it just for remote control). No signals drop yet. Great. Knocking on the wood, again :wink:

I already sent defective Wahoo back to supplier asking for the refund. Not sure how it will end (I owned Kickr for almost three months). But even they will refuse return/refund and will send me a new unit, I’m not going to use it at all - I totally lost my confidence in Wahoo brand. Probably will try to sell it for any reasonable price. Definitely, I’ll stick with Neo2 …

(David W) #96

Followup - I decided to give the Core another chance and contacted Wahoo to get my DOA unit replaced. I’m supposedly in the queue to get a new one. Not sure when that will happen. Meanwhile, they have my money.

Then I watched the video with the Wahoo CEO. Everybody praises him for acknowledging the problems, but I’m not so sure. I’m an engineer and understand that mistakes happen, but they’ve known about the no-speed, no-power issue, yet they still shipped units to unsuspecting customers. That’s poor policy and is borderline fraudulent.

And a slight bit of static electricity fries the electronics? That’s weak. I live in the DC area, not Albuquerque. Sure, we have some cold, dry days in the winter, but I’ve never fried any of my other electronics with a little bit of static electricity. My TVs, iPhones, laptops, bluetooth speakers, bike computers, running watches, and coffee maker have survived many years here without getting zapped. I’m not really buying the CEO’s explanation. He also said that they’ve always had this problem, but they had so many other problems that this one was buried. That is nothing to be proud of.

(Mike Mauel) #97

FYI

Wahoo sent replacement Kickr Core within a couple of business days.

It has worked nicely for one month now. Many terrific rides.

So far so good. I continue to keep my fingers crossed. When it works as advertised, the Core is a great smart trainer.

(G odmother Fox-Neo2) #98

What surprised me - he even didn’t explain another serious issue of Kickr18 (I know this thread is about Core, but let me share it here ) … which is infamous “drone sound”… very often accompanied by very strong vibration going through bike’s frame.

OK, he mentioned once there can be some seldom vibrations and this is normal. Nope … the vibrations my Kickr produced were anything but normal. Nasty, strong and very loud … I’m not pro, but if I may guess it has something to do with flywheel … (Wahoo increased flywheel size/weight for new Kickr - maybe there is a problem ? ) … or bearing or something like that. Anyway, it seems to be some serious design error to my humble eyes - not easy to fix.

Agree … if it’s working, it’s nice equipment. Problem is it often failed recently and as David mentioned above the CEO’s explanation doesn’t sound too much trustworthy (my opinion). Hope I’m wrong here and their new power unit would fix this issue.

(Owen) #99

My 2 week old Kickr 18 just crapped out yesterday with the same no power hardware issue. Wahoo approved the replacement today. I hope the process does not take too long. I burned myself out on trainers many years ago but I have really been enjoying the Kickr and Zwift combo. And I hope the new power block helps eliminate future issues…

(Tim Buchholz) #100

The explanation that Chip Hawkins, CEO of Wahoo, gave in his video interview with DC Rainmaker makes sense; I purchased two Kickr Cores for my wife and I about a month apart. They both stopped reading power/speed in early January. I live in a cold, dry climate (Northern Wisconsin), where shocking your finger when touching metal in the house is a fairly common occurrence, so the electro static discharge (ESD) issue does explain why both of our Kickr Cores broke. Problem is, the power bricks I currently have with these broken Kickrs is grounded, yet these still got fried. I am being shipped new ones this week, but this video does not mention a timeline for the fix of the ESD diode being installed on the board that Chip mentioned in this interview video. Seeing as both my Kickrs got fried with a grounded power supply, and reading all the other comments of going through multiple units, I’m concerned that just getting new ones with grounded power supply (which I already have) will not solve the issue and this will happen again, as it happened to both my current units. I’d hate to have to go through this hassle again.

(Jaime) #101

Hello everyone… So I thought I share this video from DC Rainmaker, who had the chance to speak with the CEO of Wahoo Fitness. You’ll get a chance to listen to him explain all the issues they have had with their product as well as how they are fixing them.
Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgromwkTOs

(Duncs FirthMVCC) #102

Continuing the discussion from Wahoo Kickr Core Not Reading Power:

So here I am, my third Kickr Core has failed, this time after less than 10 minutes, I didn’t even manage to get a spindown completed. Wahoo told me that the ‘London Service Manager’ would personally test the third unit, this didn’t happen as the DPD tracking information had it posted from Belgium straight to my house. I have gone back to Sigma Sports and asked them to supply a Tacx Flux S ASAP as I’ve now wasted six weeks with broken trainers. For Wahoo to claim that any static discharge could fry the unit is unacceptable. I suppose it’s my fault for having carpets in the house.image|626x499 image

(G odmother Fox-Neo2) #103

I found some additional info at DCR’s blog (in the discussion below Wahoo issue video). It tells the problem is not “power brick” but “circuit in the unit itself”. Let me say, I’m confused a little bit now …

(G odmother Fox-Neo2) #104

Also, this is worthy of notice - some additional info about the possible source of “drone sound” (vibrations+buzzing) which affects Kickr 18