Using Companion APP

Yes. I was speaking about voice input for text.

I didn’t know this feature was also available using a PC running the main Zwift app. I have never used a PC to Zwift. I run my Zwift app on my mobile device to Zwift.

I was unaware of this. I’ll have to figure out how to do this. When running my Zwift on iPhone the only option I see to send text is to hit the text symbol and keyboard. I don’t see an option for voice input to text.

I think this is what you are looking for. Dictate text on iPhone - Apple Support (I don’t use I-phone so it can be outdated)

1 Like

I also use my phone to run the Zwift app on. But you just need a cheap 2nd phone or an old phone you have laying around to run the Companion app on. As long as it connects to wifi that’s all you need. It’s not like Zwift is requiring you to go by a full on computer so that you can use the Companion app on your phone.

Not sure, I’ve not used an apple product since the II, and use a PC to run Zwift.

I can select the Google Voice input on android though.

1 Like

Thanks!!! That’s what I was missing! Like I started out saying, I’m no tech-wizard!

Craig is correct.
I Zwifted for several years with my laptop in front of the bike and had full access to everything I needed.
When I finally used the ZCA, I no longer had to reach for the mouse pad or key board for everything.
Sometimes I still do because it’s there and I’m used to it.
If someone had a proper gaming computer (non laptop) the ZCA would be far more useful to them.
I find some things (messaging and searching for rides) easier with ZCA and usually used my keyboard and mouse pad for the rest but many actions are doable on both.
Look at it as having options.

2 Likes

100% this.

I’ve used “all the platforms” (Windows PC, iPad, ATV4k) for Zwift and while you can skip Companion, having the option is extremely convenient.

I wonder if some of the ire about Companion is how people are mounting their secondary devices? I found Companion most useful if my phone wasn’t “anchored” to the handlebars but simply sitting on a tray of some type - I want to be able to pick it up and type with both hands. (I really should learn how to voice dictate, if Android has that option)

During the Tour of Watopia, I went so far as to have Companion on a phone for interaction and messaging, ZwiftGPS on a tablet to show my position, and the game on ATV 2-feet in front of me.

I wouldn’t know one device from another.

However when you go to start typing your message do you have the microphone symbol next to the space bar? Tap it and start speaking, see if that works.

1 Like

Assuming you’re using Gboard, just hit the settings cog on the top row when your keyboard is showing. Voice typing is enabled in there.

2 Likes

Hey! Thanks for that. I was using Microsoft SwiftKey but do still have GBoard (and voice typing) as an option. That should come in handy while Zwifting!

My pain cave uses a projector and a pull-down screen. So my laptop is behind me, hard-cabled to the projector, and I have no ability to reach it while riding. I keep a wireless mouse beside me just in case (and also to end/save the ride, things like that), but it’s not easy to use a mouse while riding. So the companion app is what allows me with that setup to interact during rides at all. And even for people who have a laptop in front of them, it might easily be more handy to interact with their phone (maybe on their stem) than to try to be tapping on the laptop out in front of the bars.

I get that it might be useful for some to have all the features of both the main program and the companion app rolled into one, but it seems to me that Zwift prioritized getting the graphics of the world into most of the screen. If you pull up the chat on the main screen, you’ll be ‘riding blind’, right?

Seems like a purposeful choice to use two screens, not a bandaid.

Definitely not. I have a KB and Trackball mouse in front of me, it is a lot easier to type than on the phone.

Fair enough. Although as a trackball fan myself, I am constantly reminded that what is easy and intuitive for one person is not for another. I suspect there are a lot of people these days who find interacting with their phone easier.

2 Likes