UPG - Cat A/B

I’m with Gerrie. The race organiser in that regard is taking a dogs dinner and adding some extra mess. Zwift shouldn’t even be allowing DQs of that type.

2 Likes

60 days?

3 Likes

Zwift still have some algo adjusting the CE even before the 3 first races since I got blocked from cat C&D cat in race 2 & 3, but not A & B.

I guess this is not that big issue if you been on Zwift for a while but a bit confusing for a new user like me.

6 (ZP) B cats in the C race I did the other day (ZRacing “Race Like A Pro” CE enforced), all finishing in the top 10.

I don’t think CE is as effective as people think?

1 Like

Some organisers are combining CE with ZP because it’s possible for CE to model your power in such a way, that you exceed the old ZP 95% of 20min pen allocation boundaries, but not by huge margins as far as I’ve noticed.

3R aren’t the only organiser doing this and it’s not that obvious (to me at least) to tell when the doubling up is in operation besides looking at “riders in the wrong category” count such as this 3R race at 1020 GMT today…

But it’s two different systems so I would expect that there would be overlap. The fact that the 6 B’s didn’t finish in the top 6 show that the system is working. Those 6 ZP B’s were just hanging on to the back of the ZP races. I think they are happy to be a bit competitive again.

How many B’s race in a ZP race in the C cat and spoil the race before getting a DQ?

A lot! I was in a C race (ZP) on Tuesday with 4 Bs and 1 A in C category (there was even a B in D category, the poor souls). A group of 9 went up the road finishing nearly a minute ahead. All of them were DQd for various reasons. The winner, from my group, crossed the line in 10th. I finished 15th and placed 3rd. A few weeks ago I finished 33rd in a ZP race and 22 ahead of me got a DQ. In C category most get a DQ for no HRM but the out of category riders definitely affect how the race plays out. It’s very important to race the whole thing even if you get dropped.

Five of the 6 B’s finished in the top 6 and nearly 1 minute ahead of the rest of the field (in a 24’ race).

And this guy only finished 9th :rofl: ZwiftPower - Login

Pass me the crack pipe when you’re done :rofl:

I can’t understand when Zwift own zwiftpower, why just keep the rules the same…?

Today i did the race like a pro in A, got second last in A…But didn’t get dropped with my new wheels until the bitter end, basically foxhill felt like midrace ramptest…But maybe! with fresher legs and a better zwiftbike i could have hanged on to the front group.

But! Just checked companion app and I’m not allowed to enter any B races anymore, but still listed as a “B almost A” in Zwift power…they do not agree…:joy:

I will take a look. But my gut tells me that they didn’t race recently. But the next race they will be in the correct category.

No system can predict outcome with no data.

Still better than ZP where those racers would just enter C again and again and again.

CE is not perfect I can think of a few things that would make it better. But compared to ZP we are miles ahead.

Thanks Gerrie. On closer inspection, I think you’re correct in that assumption for a couple of them who have just (literally) dropped back to C on ZP.

However, don’t want to single this guy out, but he’s currently racing cat B in ZRL :rofl: ZwiftPower - Login

…and the guy who took 1st was racing B a few days ago.

Dunno, just thought CE might do (should do?) a better job than ZP categorization.

CE is not aiming to categorize for ZP. Different systems.

Yes, I understand that.

However, I would have thought that CE should be more effective in keeping B’s out of a C-cat race (or at least it would have done had ZHQ not tweeked the CP parameter to bring it more in-line with ZP FTP etc. etc.).

Anyway, it looks like we are going off on a tangent here. It is what it is.

enforcing both at once mostly mitigates two gaping exploits/oversights in CE which is why i would personally recommend any event leader set their race up like that

3 Likes

I Run a League with both ZP Cat and CE…the reason for this is that CAT A riders are droping there CP with higher short-term power (3min). 3 efforts over 4.2wkg for 20min puts them in CAT A and that’s the END of the Story for me anyone being a CAT B rider.

1 Like

How many cat A riders are so close to the boundary that this method is actually used and effective. And how many other riders get moved by ZP just because the two systems are different.

I have done the math and the 3min issue is real and it can be fixed if Zwift move the lower limit closer to 5 min. I really wish Zwift would tweak the CE a bit to eliminate easy things like this.
I think this is one of the few issues people have found with CE.

And the fact, you can change your weight daily to ensure you move between cats on a daily basis.

Obviously, Zwift advised they would DQ & ban people who are doing the above but we all know that simply isnt happening, or if we want to pretend it wasnt an empty statement, they are not doing a good job of it as a quick look at the top 50/100 high ranked C racers will see many of them modulating their weight to work around CE.

1 Like

Yes weight is another one of those issues, it also happen in ZP.

My suggestion was that once you trigger an upgrade it won’t downgrade for 60 days even if you lose 50kg. :sunglasses:

@Gerrie_Delport_ODZ It’s nice that you have solutions. However, unfortunately that does not mean anything.

Weight issue was not the same with ZP as it recorded w/kg and not watts as under new categorisation which is then divided by current weight. The other think you have a solution for, someone already posted a link with results and there are many which shouldn’t be in a lower category under a categorization which was supposed to be an improvement. As most know, short term power wins races and due to curve fitting it lowers CP.

There are multiple issues with both but applying both faulty methodologies does tackle some glaring issues. Again, well done by the organisers that unfortunately need to deal with these faulty methodologies. We can talk a perfect world here or solutions but that does not change the day to day.

That is correct it is not the same, people in ZP manipulate their weight before it get triggered, ZP use the average of 3 races so once they trigger one they change weight and then they are safe.

so two wrongs makes a right? :wink: This is just a joke.

I can see the merit in using ZP to identify the obvious wrong categories, like someone that did not race the summer that was a A and now race in D. But just applying it on top of CE is just wrong.
Do you also promote the rider that was placed in B using CE but are a C in Zwift power?