Upcoming guarantued crashes at Alpe at next Tour de Zwift?

Yeah, looks like it. :unamused: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Iā€™m doing the TdZ Alpe later today carrying some end of year extra ballast. Not looking forward to that. Looking even less forward to seeing fellow riders being disappointed and having their rides spoiled by this bug that has been reported for months.

I read this as that they found the bug, fixed it, got it in the next update scheduled next week, but donā€™t realize it will affect users doing the TdZ in the upcoming 3 daysā€¦

Yes same issue. Kept riding after banner and defaulted to stay in Watopia. Crashed within 1K. On an iPad.

Unfortunately there is still a bug, Mark. I completed stage 2 a few hours ago and just as I was about to start the descent the screen on my Apple TV froze. My companion app continued the descent seemingly as normal. At the bottom I couldnā€™t save my ride or do anything with the app on the Apple TV had to force quit and restart the ATV. When I logged back into the app it did say there was an unsaved activity, did I want to save it, so luckily I able to do this and have the ride logged. I just had to give it a title.

Did you get the TdZ Stage 2 icon completed in your profile, Kevin? If you had to give the activity a title, Iā€™m curious if the ride is counted as being part of TdZ.

Same happened to me. When I went back in it auto-saved as a nn-event ride in Watopia.

Good question, Roule. Yes, Iā€™ve just checked, both on the Companion app and the website for the TdZ has Stage 2 showing as completed!

1 Like

It certainly wasnā€™t fixed for todayā€™s event. And as much as I like riding the Alpe, I have no intention of riding it again just because the software is full of glitches.

If Iā€™m reading the reports correctly, the issue isnā€™t presenting itself until after the event has been completedā€¦ so technically they did fix it for the event, but not for any riding afterwards?

Sounds like theyā€™ve ensured the TdZ event itself isnā€™t affected by it (maybe they changed the completion banner location?), but not the actual problem - which seems to occur afterwards. But if thereā€™s a lot of people at the top thanks to the event, thereā€™s gonna be a lot of people complaining about crashesā€¦

2 Likes

I understand that the bug only happened at the turnaround at the top anyway, so no, John, itā€™s not been fixed at all. Luckily the event completion banner does occur soon after the regular finish arch - about 200m after - so if you are aware of the problem you can save your ride as normal without issue. It seems to be only if you continue around the loop that it crashes just before you commence the descent. My wifeā€™s doing this in the morning, so Iā€™ve told her to save her ride once the finish time comes up. From what Iā€™ve read this only seems to be a problem on group rides/events? My wife did the Alpe just last week as a regular free ride and didnā€™t experience an issues and descended normally.

1 Like

We know it wasnā€™t and thatā€™s exactly what Mark said above - that we have a fix lined up but we werenā€™t able to get it in in time. Iā€™m really sorry this affected you.

Did the issue happen prior to you reaching the finish line? Our intention was for the event to finish prior to anyone experiencing the issue by using a custom distance.

Hi James. The crash happened when I went through the finish arch on the way back down. I was intending to use the descent as a cool down and wanted to stay on the Alpe rather than Innsbruck.

Thatā€™s not how I read Marks comment - we have fixed this. Past tense, it has been done

We have fixed this for the Stage 2 TdZ events and will have a client fix for all events utilizing the lā€™Alpe in an upcoming patch, planned for next week.

Me, too.
In light of Jamesā€™ comment, ā€˜fixedā€™ didnā€™t the mean the same thing in our heads as in theirs.

Fair enough: people are getting TdZ credit for reaching the finishing arch on the stage. But I know very few zwifters who, having sweated up the Alpe, donā€™t want to get the benefit of zooming down it afterwards.
The end result is a bad experience for some people, which could have been avoided.

All we can do now is share the information with others in the ride chat while going up the Alpe on that stage until Sunday, to end the ride as soon as the stage is over to avoid crash hassles.

2 Likes

The client fix is the patch that we need to apply in order to fix it indefinitely.

The fix for the stage was to use a custom distance. Apologies if that wasnā€™t clear.

4 Likes

someone said that switching to a different camera view as you go around the top before descending fixes it too. I think it was view 8 that was mentioned.

3 Likes

True. Iā€™m in two minds about trying that today. Would be an interesting test. Donā€™t want to suggest to others that they should do it until Iā€™ve tried it myself.

Also, Iā€™m such a bad climber that I think Iā€™ve developed a very mild form of PTSD that gets triggered when I see the mega statue at the top of the Alpe. Between that and the effects of fatigue, I donā€™t trust my brain to do whatā€™s needed to engage camera setting 8 before I ride through the bug point! :laughing:

I hope the future fix also applies to when starting on the Alp too. I have experienced the graphics glitch both on starting the Alp (when the ADZ UI triggers) and going down.

I have just been avoiding the Alp all together for the past few month.

Shame on U Zwift - my iPad just froze after completing stage 2 of TdZ. U enroll the big Tour and still canā€™t fix the Alpe? Unfortunately I found this thread to late to know to switch the camera.