Trainer Upgrade

(Andreas Bayerl) #1

Dear all,

Having recently joint Zwift with an ‘old’ Tacx Genius trainer (the non-smart one, just using a speed/cadence sensor), I am now faced with the decision whether to upgrade my Genius with a new Motor unit to support ANT+ FE-C or alternatively purchase a new 2018 KICKR Core (which costs 3 times more…).

While I have certain feeling about the hardware differences, are there any considerations with regards to the interaction of those trainers with Zwift?

Cheers,

Andreas

(Fez Rockbottom) #2

If you are interested in a plug and play situation I would go with a trainer that you do not have to calibrate.  Apart from that, direct drive trainers allow one to enjoy the best experience from a riding perspective as well as claimed accuracy.  DC Rainmaker has a really in depth, yearly guide to trainers that you may want to check out and take a fair amount of time to read and digest all of the differences and similarities between different trainers at various price points.  

Good luck!

(Andreas Bayerl) #3

Thanks Fez,

Your comments are really helpful, much appreciated!

I read through DC Rainmakers reviews and quite naturally I am tempted to purchase a direct drive trainer. Then again, I am actually quite happy with my Genius (apart from the missing ANT FE-C support, which I could retrofit with a new motor unit). Call me nostalgic, but that perfume of warmed up rubber in my workout room is kind of homey :-).

But I get it that with regards to Zwift itself, whether I use a Genius Smart with ANT FE-C or a KICKR Core will not make any difference.

Cheers,

Andreas