Trainer Resistance | Trainer Difficulty too low, Simulation and ERG mode do not adjust resistance [January 2023]

There’s a theme developing: things are broken if using ANT+ but seem to work over BLE. (EDIT - for some users - seems others have issues over both)

If you have the option, try switching to a BLE connection. (tangentially: an external, USB BLE dongle is often more reliable than internal BLE)

EDIT also to suggest the usual “nuke and pave” steps: completely uninstall Zwift from your system and delete any folders left behind. Unpair your trainers/sensors from any device you plan to run Zwift on, as well as any OTHER devices that might remember them. If AppleTV: do a factory reset of the ATV. It’ll grab your apps from iCloud once you set it up again.

You can see on Tempus Fugit that virtually no one is doing a workout… Surely it’s rollback time…

2 Likes

I dont think that is the case - i was using bluetooth and erg mode didn’t work. some people have said swapping from one to the other seems to get things working - i didn’t try this so not sure if it works for bluetooth to ant+

i disagree on the internal/dongle point - it can sometimes cause more confusion as you might need to disable the internal bluetooth to get it to work properly.

I’ve never had issues with either internal BT on laptops or dongle on PCs - never had to move it nearer the trainer either - across multiple devices, trainers and even houses!

1 Like

● [ERG] does not work.
●Slope is not reflected.
●Calibration fails.

Please fix it soon.
Please.

2 Likes

I just upgraded to v1.33 on PC running Win11. My trainer is a Wahoo Kickr gen 1. Up until now, everything has been running as advertised.

I do a workout ride nearly every day.

After the latest update, ERG mode isn’t working.

2 Likes

I also had this issue on a workout this morning. I havent changed anything in months and it has been flawless. Updated this morning and the ERG would not engage in a workout. I switched to a freeride in Watopia and it was adjusting resistance normally. It was only in workout mode that it wouldnt automatically adjust.

Checked trainer firmware and it is up to date. ERG works through Tacx app.

On a Tacx Neo with Win 10 (ant)

1 Like

Même problème de mon côté, on dirait que Zwift n’arrive plus à controller la résistance de mon hometrainer.
Problème survenu depuis la mise à jour effectuée aujourd’hui

1 Like

Downloaded the update on my PC yesterday and both my wife and I don’t have functional Workouts. The ERG mode doesn’t control the Wahoo core or Kickr trainers. Also noticed the drops in free ride seems to pause and doesn’t increase despite constant pedalling. Hope this is solved soon.

1 Like

Same issue, I had 90 minutes to get my workout in this morning but have lost my window after troubleshooting this issue with no success. Kickr Core, tried Ant+ and BLE, Windows. Never had any issues before now. ERG mode simply not working and power is all over the place.

The Zwift calibration fails every time, and feels very different - I need to push an extreme amount of watts to get to 23mph. I tried calibrating on my Wahoo Utility App, and it worked just fine and felt normal. But that did not fix my issues when going back to Zwift.

3 Likes

Updated this morning on Windows 10. Using a Neo 2 with ANT+FEC.

Sim mode and erg mode worked as expected for two subsequent rides.

It probably depends (partially) on ANT+. Change to BT.

@ZWIFT I expect that this problem will be fixed within a few days. Otherwise you should consider a refund program for your paying customers.

And stop deploying this buggy version ASAP.

How is it possible that such a broken software ever leaves the lab?

4 Likes

I work in software development and how this update managed to pass testing with a core functionality failing is mindboggling. This should have been one of the things to clear UAT…

7 Likes

Yeah well, UCI Pro is in what, two weeks?

How’s that going to work when half the pro’s trainer difficulty no longer works because Zwift broke their own platform.

1 Like

Shucks, that’s my setup too, so I’m not hopeful that mine is going to be working…

I’m on there. It looks like I’m doing a workout. No erg, though, so it’s a lie

My speed and wattage during a workout was all over the place. When I jumped into a normal Watopia solo ride, the trainer (ERG mode) simply didn’t care if I was going up hill or down hill - the speed and wattage just stayed the same. Usually when I’m climbing at 10+% on Zwift my cadence goes WAY down, that’s just my normal way of riding. Last night, my cadence was super high, about 90, and my avatar would adjust it’s speed up the hill as if ERG mode was not one. I’ve been on Zwift for 6-7 years now so I know what not having ERG mode feels / looks like in Zwift. Essentially, when I did my 16 mile ride with 1000 ft of climbing “test” last night - the resistance on my Kickr never changed 1 time, it was like riding on my Kurt Kinetic Liquid trainer from 10 years ago but on Zwift. This update has made my smart trainer a dumb trainer, and I’ve used both on Zwift, I hope they find the cause quick and can fix it. I know these things happen but the QA/QC for something like this is the main reason we have a smart trainer and Zwift, ITS A CORE REASON WE PAY FOR THE ZWIFT EXPERIENCE!

2 Likes

Testing has been outsourced to us, the paying customers.

A deployed show stopper like this raises questions concerning CI/CD processes at Zwift.

In three weeks there’ll be the UCI CYCLING ESPORTS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS… or…

3 Likes

Understood, but was your speed (mph or km/h) about correct going up the 10% gradients, or was it same speed as if you were riding on flat ground?