Trainer resistance setup

Im confused i have an Elite nova force trainer I’ve been using it for a while no problems then yesterday i got the amber triangle to say my power output was suspect, after looking at the setup i noticed it says use setting 3 on the picture of my trainer? does that mean i have to have the resistance set to 3 the whole time? this dosent seem right as i can’t even make the warm up wattage in that setting?

any thoughts?

thanks guys 

Hi Stuart,

I have one answer. Yes you should keep the trainer resistance in the required setting your trainer should be set on Level 3.  What do you mean with “can’t even make the warm up wattage in that setting” is it to hard to pedal or is the resistance to low?

Hi there thanks for the reply, yeah so after adjusting the resistance to 3, I then went on a workout to see the difference, as it starts you go through the warm up phase 80w to 160w and do on, 80w was doable but there’s no way I could maintain anything higher than say 100w for any length of time the resistance is just to high, I’m not a newbie either I’ve been cycling around the lake district for many years and am fairly fit, I’m just wondering if it’s messed up somewhere because I’d been riding it without the resistance set for a while?
Cheers

Are your FTP setup correctly? If that is to high then the workouts will be to hard.

what gears and cadence do you have to maintain to produce 80w?

Hi to be honest I’m fairly new to swift so I’m not sure about ftp setup how would I go about checking that? With regards to gears it would have been roughly 53 on front and 24 on rear or something like that at about 70rpm? I think

Zwift will set your FTP if you done a few free rides, but you can also set it manually, just go to the User profile screen and adjust it lower.

80w at 70rpm in that gear look correct for your trainer.

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/206438003-User-Profile-Age-Weight-FTP-

Just checked my profile my ftp is 324?

That seem very high, I would lower it to 120 and then do a FTP test workout. Or you could just do a few hard laps in the game then Zwift will calculate your FTP

Yeah i think because the resistance hasn’t been set its given me an epic ftp! i do want it to be accurate though so if i lower it will it adjust automaticaly and level out?

or would i be better off just getting a smart trainer?

cheers

That trainer is good, you can do lots of training with it. 

The FTP only comes into play in Workout mode where it calculate at what power level you should be training. During free ride Zwift will use your wheel speed to calculate the power based on the power curve for your specific trainer. See your trainer power curve below (level 3 setting). At 70rpm in your 53x24 your wheel will do 20km/h that gives just over 100w. As you get stronger you will be able to produce more power.

Really appreciate all the input, so maybe ill drop the ftp to 120 then do a full ftp test and see how that goes 

Cheers

You are welcome. Let us know how it goes.

Just have fun.