To cheat or not to cheat

Did you read what was said above??? Riding more eat less lol. Catabolic hormones all over the place you wont get any race results other than extremly weak and powerless. If it would be that simple …

Have fun with 7 % body fat at around 100 kg pushing 500 W FTP. :rofl:

That is disinformation. At the same w/kg heavier rider will always be faster in Zwift. You can check tests made by zwiftinsider or you can go to zwiftpower and check TT races results. There is a lot of evidence there, just investigate a little.

Anyway, that topic been discussed dozens of times, Zwift physics have nothing to do with real world, and while heavy riders focus on how slow they are on uphills, they totally ignore how fast they are on downhills.

|45x45

Craig Lonie
Emotional aspect is very important I agree. If you use Zwift to workout and you like hills, try choosing a group workout on a hilly course. Rubber band will keep everyone together at the same nice speed, and you will also get elevation gain faster for your TRON bike challenge.

1 Like

Again pushing higher power around 400 W + an hour it is becoming close to impossible to maintain 5 w/kg which is the key to win. In a race you have many riders. If you are strong but heavy you are fast in the flat but even a 2 min climb can disqualify to stay at first group with riders far lighter than the heavy rider but with higher w/kg … which even if slower downhill form a group and become magically faster (just because). How come if all pushing around 3 w/kg you can’t getting faster … but in Zwift you just form a group. At 3 wpk you were riding solo at around 37 kmh but after forming a group you are riding over 40 kmh (just because :man_facepalming:). BUT all are still pushing 3 wpk but its a group weird. It should be more balanced. And exactly this kind of magic or whatever you call it is active in racers.

hint: drafting, sticking, pure wattage, weight, delay

I’ll try to explain this to you. Let’s say you have a pack of riders with same weight doing the same wattage. They all will shift from front to back and from back to front all the time. Reason for that is drafting and inertia. The one in the draft will be faster at the same wkg, because of that he will be pushed in front of the group, and while inertia persists he will be a draft maker to all who behind him. But soon after he reaches the front he will face resistance as he would get by riding alone at that wattage so he will be pushed back to the far back of group and his place will be taken by other drafter.
Roughly speaking the average speed of the group will be somewhere in between of the speed of a guy in front (without inertia) and the speed of a guy in draft at best moment.
That transaction happens so smoothly because avatars in Zwift can’t hit into each other. Good IRL example would be the group riding on a velodrome, where the guy on the front goes to the back every lap.

1 Like

Nice but it was not a question how drafting and inertia interact and how group mechanics work.
It is still questionable (INGAME!) why the speed difference of a group at f.ex. 3 wpk is so much higher compared to a single person.

facepalm.jpg

hardcoded

So I was messing with the weight this morning and did half an hour I’m 270 lbs out of shape and 50 year old I did Emily’s workout I had to max at 125 w for three mins at the peak which to be honest I managed the whole work out, and I was done in at the end I really enjoyed it

But here’s the rub

I thought I had saved my weight at 270 before doing the work out but it was saved at 150 because of the messing around and when I set it back to 270lbs properly I had another look at Emily’s work out and it was asking me to produce 220w for three mins at the max i wouldn’t be able to do that workout I’d be toast halfway through

Any suggestions guys and thanks

Is your weight setting in pounds or kilograms? Actually this shouldn’t matter. But something you should make sure of anyway.

Are you adjusting weight or FTP?

Hi Craig. You may need to manually adjust your ftp down. Have you performed an ftp test to confirm the ftp value set in your profile?

What does ftp stand for and how do I move it down I can’t do the 45 mins workout it’s too difficult at the moment

It’s in lbs 122 kg or 270 lbs

I’m adjusting weight I don’t know what the ftp is (newbie)

Watch this:

You can adjust your FTP by playing around with the FTP slider.

At the end of the day so long as your enjoying it its no problem. The seriously fast cyclist will probably race for real where the only cheating the is drugs or the bike, The likes of mortals such as you and I and 90% of Zwift users wont be bothering those people ever. zwift is a place where most people are kinda average and just don’t fancy being outside in the rain or like me on the dangerous roads around where I live. Enjoy

2 Likes

To cheat or not to cheat? How about “To train and get fit or not to train and stay fat” 12 months ago I was 84kg and suffering from heart failure I could manage 135w for my ftp and finished 645 out of 645 in a tour stage,today I weigh 68kg have an ftp of 235 and 2 days ago I finished 13th out of 30 in an over 50’s race in the Ages league. I still have heart failure but not once have I ever thought shall I cheat.I cheated death but that’s allowed I don’t see the point in cheating myself out of the fun and also the pain of training till I drop because that’s what it’s all about mate otherwise just sit on the couch and watch tv

9 Likes

While you certainly deserve a ‘good for you’ and a cookie, to say the least its in poor taste to go on a long self centered rant about you, you, and more you, and how you did this and that, because thats not what the OP is talking about or asking about or is in anyway constructive.

All you did was brag and say he should feel like a ■■■■■ for not being as badass as you are, and thats not a good way to build someone up. Dont tell him to just sit on the couch because he wants to make the training experience more enjoyable.

5 Likes

Hi @Craig_Lonie: you can set your FTP (functional threshold power) in the game in your profile (just above where you change your weight.

Your weight should not make a difference in the training only the FTP.

I would suggest that you set the FTP to something lower than what it now and do the Short FTP test, this will adjust the FTP to the correct value for all your training.

I think we got it the first half dozen times. You believe this should be an arcade game. It is not.

Hi Craig. I’m 118kg at the moment. Down from 122kg just before Christmas. I use my actual weight in Zwift. I’ve chosen to do this as a motivational aid to weight loss. It’s great to be able to change my weight in the game as it comes down. Ultimately I want to be able to ride comfortably in the real world, so weight loss is key for me.
I don’t currently ride in any group rides because I can’t keep up. Not even at 1.5 W/kg. My PBs are coming down and I might try a group ride again soon.
I did consider reducing my in game weight in order to stay with a group but I personally prefer to keep it real, well, as real as it can be in a game.
What’s important is to keep riding and enjoy it and anything that helps can only be a good thing. Good luck.

5 Likes