Tip: quick way to improve ANT+ connectivity issues

(Scott) #1

If you’re experiencing periodic loses of signal, the fastest way to improve connectivity is to get a USB 2.0 Extension Cable. They can be readily purchased on Amazon for < $10 and come in various lengths from 1 - 3M (3.3 - 9.8 ft).

(Allan Watkins) #2

This works pretty well, I’ve been doing it for a long time for golden cheetah, I just hung an extension cable with the ant+ dongle off my garmin mount.

(Clint Westhoff) #3

This is anecdotal as I didn’t really control for variables, but for me I was still getting dropouts even with an extension cable and having the stick very close to the bike. I started spraying static guard around the stick before a ride and around where the tire contacts the roller - just a little spray. Since then I have not seen a single dropout and before that I was seeing them regularly (between several different programs). I did this because I could feel the static electricity buildup on the hair on my arms during rides. Maybe one has nothing to do with the other as I wouldn’t think static would interfere that much with a radio signal, but I’m going to keep doing it until I see signal dropouts again.

(Greg Gibson-Haymarket) #4

What’s the rough range of the ANT+ signal? I keep my laptop roughly within 3-4 feet of my trainer, but I do see periodic loss of signal that causes my rider to pause…maybe 1-2 per ride, depending on length. I just keep pedaling and it restarts but it is a PITA.

(Allan Watkins) #5

Do you have anything else wireless going on? I have a set of wireless surround sound speakers and turn those off and use a headset when training indoors, mostly because the trainer and 2 fans are really noisy. but if i leave them on i lose a lot of data

(Greg Gibson-Haymarket) #6

I often wonder if my phone is creating interference.

(Jerry Perullo (B)) #7

I had a lot of issue w ANT+ drops last winter. I did some series of elimination to try and narrow it down including the phone. Tons of RF devices in the basement. I ultimately did some better research including actually learning what frequencies were in use by the various devices, and while I don’t remember it all offhand I remember concluding my WiFi was likely the culprit. With other program you can try disabling the WiFi NIC to confirm, but obviously it wont do much good w Zwift assuming your PC is connected via WiFi. What you can do, however, is change the NIC setting from auto for channel selection to a static channel.
Google artifacts:

1. ANT devices may use any RF frequency from 2400MHz to 2524MHz, with the exception of 2457MHz, which is reserved for ANT+ devices
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels
    Add those and I’m thinking you want channel… 1? Maybe a proper EE can fact check that?

(Trevor Barcelo) #8

I didn’t have any ANT+ connectivity issues during my first several rides (more than a week ago), but the last few have seen about 1-2 drops per ride. I’m with Greg - not a huge deal, but kind of a PITA when riding with others! I’ll start experimenting.

(Clint Westhoff) #9

I had not had any Ant+ dropouts for a while, but today I did. The interesting part is that my wife was riding another trainer in the same room with an Ant+ HR strap and speed/cadence sensor. Her Garmin Fenix2 was losing her signal and my Edge 500 and Zwift were losing my signal all at the same times. The signal losses were not exactly at the same time but pretty close.

(Allan Watkins) #10

Same here, I even replaced the battery in my quarq, and it still had a few drop outs, maybe some solar flares or other EM silliness going on eh? I made sure my speakers were off and used my headset, cell phone and wireless keyboard were further away than usual, but usually the only problems i get are from the speakers. Funny thing is my garmin had the same issues with data / ant drop outs that zwift has so it must be “somethign in the air” lol

(David Ellison) #11

I was riding this morning at 8:30am UTC, and was experiencing constant ATN+ drop outs. Would have been 10+ times per lap, some of them for 3-5 seconds at a time. Very frustrating, as I was having a great hill climb battle with D Loveday, just for my power to drop out and not register with 150 meters to go. The only other wireless device I have is my mobile phone, and that is what i use as my internet connection.

(Timojhen Mark) #12

I’m going to try the extension on the next ride. Have the same issue in spades… probably 30 drops on a four lap ride several days ago. Super frustrating when the sprint timer is running! When it did reconnect, it could sometimes show extraordinary power numbers (2800 watts), unsure how to read that…

(Jerry Perullo (B)) #13

I’d like to see some people with easy-replicated issues try killing WiFi. If your ZWIFT PC is on WiFi I guess that isn’t an issue but otherwise - maybe your phone etc?

(Timojhen Mark) #14

I can run a cable to see if turning off WiFi helps. Will do so after first testing the USB extension. (Aiming to change one thing at a time)

(Jerry Perullo (B)) #15

If you are up for it try changing your wifi to lock on channel 1 at some point too.

(Jack Dweck (B4C)) #16

I am having this issue. It works flawlessly with TrainerRoad but having issues on Zwift…

(Jim Crumpler) #17

How do we tell if the problem is ANT+ connectivity problems? Is there any particular tell tale item in the log files?

I find my Wahoo Kickr periodically stop responding to power controls (eg up hill resistance change), but it still updates the power on the screen. One direction is working (Kickr transmit to PC), but the other direction is not (PC ANT Tx to Kickr). Yesterday all ANT+ failed (no HR, cadence or power) and I had to restart the game.

(Frederic Nguyen - CCC - CISCYCLING) #18

I experienced the same problem over the weekend (losing both my speed and cadence) every now and again with no apparent indication. It would be a great help to have a visual indication of the signal strength or signal loss (a bit like for the tire slippage).

(Chris Parker | VCGH | KISS (C)) #19

Tried this works a treat and haven’t had issues since…

(Aaron Deutsch - BMTR) #20

Confirmed fixed.

I picked up a 6.5 ft cable from Amazon. Quality seems pretty good for the price. After having ANT+ data drop multiple times on every. single. ride. this extension cord 100% solved the problem. Not a single hiccup. https://www.strava.com/activities/257417846/analysis

This seems to be working so well for people I might add this as a hardware requirement just to save people (and your customer support) the headache.