Thinking about developing a fatigue measurement tech for Zwift

Hi everyone,

I am not a Zwift user but I am thinking about developing a technology that I think may be useful for users, and I’d be interested to have your feedback on it !

(This post is not for any form of promotion -I have nothing to sell- but just to talk about my idea and whether you find it interesting. However, if you find it inappropriate for this forum I’d understand and would be sorry for the disturbance!).

My idea is to propose a new kind of fatigue/energy physiological measurement in order to help athletes know how to adapt their day-to-day training. The technology is based on HRV (heart rate variability) but measured during a normal Zwift session, as opposed to the standard 5 minutes-protocol in the morning usually recommended. I think that would be an interesting add-on to know how to adapt your training every day (when to train, at which intensity) in order to avoid overtraining and make the best of every workout, without the unpractical protocol. It may even be used to propose last minute changes to a session, for example to add or delete high intensity blocks according to your energy.

I think the idea would be most useful to people following the Zwift Academy program but I am open to any suggestions (hence the post in the General Forum).

What do you think ? good idea, bad idea ? Useful for you ?

Thanks a lot for your feedback !

If someone were training and really had the above need how does this ultimately differ compared to ATL, CTL, and TSB… Those are the gold and industry standards. You can pretty much look at that chart and have a good idea as to how the “day” is going to go. with HRV wouldn’t sleep, eating, fatigue, stress, caffeine, and etc have a huge impact on HRV. Its like Garmins little pop up it does a pretty good job of telling me how my day is going to go, but if the efrrot is too hard from the start I have found it to be off… Also I find that I need a valid warmup otherwise the Garmin and HRV as a potential will be way off?

Yes the idea is similar to ATL, CTL, TSB in that it is aimed at better knowing when to train and when to recover. This is a supplementary information, and has the advantage of being individualized : the indicators such as ATL and CTL do not take into account that each person recover at a different speed, or that other aspects of life (working life, stress, etc.) can also affect performance. Caffeine intake can indeed greatly influences resting heart rate, but is less confounding in exercise heart rate (though I must admit I do not have made the whole analysis yet), but I think taking into account stress, sleep, eating and fatigue is rather a good point because these are all factors influencing performance capacity.
Garmin has made a pretty great job with their new products analyzing resting heart rate, but I think they are still finding it difficult transforming their measure in real training recommandations : don’t you think ? I don’t know what they use for analyzing the beginning of the exercise as you said : I always thought they used the speed at which the heart rate increases (which would also explain why it is weird for really intense warmup), but you man that they also measure HRV during warmup ?