Tacx Neo - Powered Decline Feature

The Tacx Neo lacks a flywheel, and uses a powered decline feature to simulate coasting down grades. It’s a nice feature if wanting a short leg break without loosing time… similar to real road.  It works great in Zwift, and if you’re a Neo Rider looking for another site to try out your Trainers decline feature, VeloReality just added the Neo’s decline feature to it’s video software. Both Zwift & VeloReality are great, they offer different overall formats and feel. 

https://veloreality.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157&start=30#p925

How do you pair your neo? My neo does not coast downhill. It only increase velocity and I have to keep on pedaling. If I don’t pair the power it does not move at all.

Benny, Neo pairs up Speed & Cadence, Smart Trainer and Power all under the same Neo ID number. You indicate your Neo increases velocity, if it’s increasing speed down hill while you’re not pedaling that sounds like coasting. Are you not increasing distance too… KM or Miles?

There was a firmware update that corrected / improved several things and the S&C calculations were updated. The update may have corrected Neo Zwift function too. Have you checked or performed Neo firmware via the iPhone app? Although if your Neo is new, I would assume it would have current firmware. 

Also meant to mention, this feature only functions when Neo is powered by electrical source. If not plugged in, decline decline feature is not available and all the Zwift sensor pairing does not complete.

Also meant to mention, this feature only functions when Neo is powered by electrical source. If not plugged in, decline feature is not available and all the Zwift sensor pairing does not complete.

Acording to the ANT+ FE-C standard: 4.3.2 Indicating Virtual Speed For fitness equipment operating in simulation mode, the resistance applied is a function of simulation parameters provided by the open display. For example if an uphill grade and headwind are indicated then the fitness equipment will adjust its incline setting (if applicable) and increase its resistance setting to simulate the environment. Similarly, if the open display sends a downhill grade and a tailwind the fitness equipment will adjust the incline and resistance settings to make the exercise feel easier to the user. If the transmitted downhill grade is sufficiently steep, the fitness equipment may need to apply negative resistance (i.e. assistance) to create a realistic experience for the user. Alternatively fitness equipment that is not capable of providing assistance to the user may adjust the speed value transmitted in the general FE data page (16) instead. The transmitted speed is then referred to as ‘virtual speed’ and indicates the speed that the user would be travelling at had the negative resistance been applied. Effectively, the transmission of virtual speed is used to artificially extend the resistance/grade range of the fitness equipment. When virtual speed is transmitted instead of real speed, the virtual speed flag shall be set. Displays may use this flag to identify when real vs. virtual speed is transmitted.

The Tacx Neo is capable of providing assistance to the user (powered decline feature) but maybe the trainer is not paired in simulation mode?